Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ihsahn

Options
  • 12-05-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

Any fans of this multi-instrumentalist around here? I’m talking about his solo output more so than his Emperor/Peccatum output.

Admittedly the first couple solo albums (The Adversary and angL) could be described as a little more elementary and straightforward compared to the technical prowess and musical chaos of latter day Emperor but his solo output has gotten progressively more diverse, constantly developing his sound and evolving outside the boundaries Metal as all great artists should imo.

Erimita, After and last years Das Seelenbrechen have been more exploratory and challenging as he seems intent on sating his own musical inclinations as opposed to appeasing the Black Metal following that he garnered with Emperor. Also interestingly he seems to have completely jettisoned the Black Metal aesthetic which can only make him more accessible to the rest of the Metal community who previously might have overlooked his musical talent.

In terms of his musical output and accomplishments so far I would put him on par with Devin Townsend. What say you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I hadn't listened to any of his stuff since angl, but I remember hearing Frozen Lakes On Mars and thinking it was amazing! Really must get around to getting his latter albums.

Dunno if I'd put him on par with Townsend, they're two very different artists, and Ihsahn is terrifically unique. Hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Links234 wrote: »
    I hadn't listened to any of his stuff since angl, but I remember hearing Frozen Lakes On Mars and thinking it was amazing! Really must get around to getting his latter albums.

Dunno if I'd put him on par with Townsend, they're two very different artists, and Ihsahn is terrifically unique. Hard to say.

Oh definitely check them out, Links. I mean I would put him on par with Devy in terms of the standard of his output, both in bands and also solo. Musically they are both very idiosyncratic imo. Visionary, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

Haven't listened to too much of Ihsahn but you guys should check out Leprous, the whole band supports Ihsahn as his touring band, and they'll be playing here in october :)

I have a few of Leprous' albums and quite like them. I've even seen them live in Barcelona a few years ago too and thought they were a decent band with potential. They've come on leaps and bounds since imo but they're not in the same league as Ihsahn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Was listening to The Cloak just there, not bad at all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

"Curse You All Men!" and "Night of the Graveless Souls" are two of the best Black Metal songs ever made :cool:

Lars1916 wrote: »
    "Curse You All Men!" and "Night of the Graveless Souls" are two of the best Black Metal songs ever made :cool:

I much prefer the Prometheus era tbh. It's almost the perfect segue from their earlier stuff to Ihsahn's solo output. He composed most of the material on this album all by himself too.

Emperor's performance at Hellfest 2014. Pro shot footage with decent audio quality. No make-up or costumes, just quality Black Metal.

Did anybody head over to this?

Setlist
    0:00 - Into the Infinity of Thoughts
    9:00 - The Burning Shadows of Silence
    15:06 - Cosmic Keys to my Creation & Times
    21:48 - Beyond the Great Vast Forest
    27:20 - Towards The Pantheon
    33:30 - The Majesty of the Nightsky
    38:38 - I Am The Black Wizards
    45:08 - Inno A Satana
    51:14 - Ancient Queen
    54:38 Wrath of the Tyrant

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Can't hack black metal at all, so never would've checked him out because of the Emperor connection. I came accross him on an end of year list last year. I love his solo stuff and the spirit of experimental fusion he has going on. Das Seelenbrechen was a brilliant album. He's a very similar type of guy to Heavy Devy. They share a similar work ethic and are both quite prolific and wildly creative with the types of musical ideas explored within the confines of an album very hard to predict. Fantastic to follow guys like this, because it really is a journey they take you on tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

After is a good album ,the sax on there is great. Alot of Queensryche in the music I think.
    Emperor were special though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I saw Emperor at Hellfest, and they were amazing! The cold atmosphere their live show created almost soothed the sunburn I had from earlier in the weekend :P

With regards Ihsahn, After was the first and only one I've listened to properly and it's a really really good album! Must give the newer ones a proper go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Is that the singer from Zyklon on bass?

Great live performance.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Is that the singer from Zyklon on bass?

Great live performance.

Yep, Tony "Secthdamon" Ingebrigtsen plays Bass for Emperor's live performances.

Advertisement