Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 4 – May 13th, Giovinazzo - Bari 112km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
  • 12-05-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭

Stage 4 – Tuesday May 13th, Giovinazzo - Bari 112km (*)

Arrivederci Ireland and ciao Italia! After an early rest day to allow for the long transfer to southern Italy, the riders will tackle a short stage that is based around the city of Bari. The stage finishes with eight laps of a street circuit that is 8.3km long, which is littered with tricky, tight corners. Similar to the finish in Dublin, the last corner appears with about 350m to go, and the home straight is slightly uphill. This is guaranteed to end in a bunch sprint. The question is, can anybody beat Marcel Kittel! ;)

Map:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_04.jpg?v=20140508173134

Profile:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_04.jpg?v=20140508173130

Last kilometres:

ukm_04.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive]%20%20--%3E

Weather: Partly cloudy. High 25C. Winds S at 15 to 25 kph.

Betting odds: Marcel Kittel 2/5; Nacer Bouhanni 8/1; Elia Viviani 9/1; Ben Swift 12/1.

Live TV coverage on Eurosport1 from 1.30pm. Highlights on Sky Sports 3 at 8pm and Eurosport1 at midnight.

Live text ticker here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Ah two rival threads. This could end in a deep sense of shame for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Oops, I did see this thread yesterday and completely forgot! Nevermind :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pelevin wrote: »
    This could end in a deep sense of shame for someone.
    It's OK - his team won the league on Sunday so he needs bringing back down to earth ...:pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    It's OK - his team won the league on Sunday so he needs bringing back down to earth ...:pac:

Little premature, Wexford Youths haven't won it yet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

@marcelkittel

So, the Giro got me earlier then I thought. Absolutely disappointed that I have to leave this beautiful race today because of a fever. :'(((

Thank you to everyone, incl. my team, the organisers & all the fans next to the road, for your great support! It was short but intensive! <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Ha! Did I just hear Kelly say the F-word talking about the finishing circuit? :-D

"....it'll be f**kin mayhem.... " or something to that effect I'm sure he said. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That's a big disappointment about Kittel :(

It rains in Italy too! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

cyclingnews is reporting that the rain is bad enough that the stage is going to be neutralised until the city circuits, and it may even be neutralised there too if the rain keeps up.

It's a shame that Kittel had to pull out (hope he doesn't have what got Molly Malone!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Go slow day in a big way.
    cyclingnews now saying The organisers may have to reduce the number of circuits in the town to fit in with tv schedules.
    No Kittel is good news for the other sprinters though.
    I'd imagine Ben Swift would have preferred Kittel's fever to arrive two daze earlier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

trying to watch it on my sky go app on the phone but reception in work is crap.... so it ain't working!

the giro official website gives basically next to no information....

anyone know why Kittel didn't start?

is the rain that bad????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

KIttle has fever

Rain is not bad ...its road are very greasy in rain due to olive oil area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

stevieob wrote: »
    trying to watch it on my sky go app on the phone but reception in work is crap.... so it ain't working!

the giro official website gives basically next to no information....

anyone know why Kittel didn't start?

is the rain that bad????

Rain is heavy enough
    They're not going to race till they reach Bari apparently so they're on a go slow.

Marcel Kittel was on the beer in Coppers on Sunday night, celebrating his win big time. He met a camogie player from Kilkenny and has decided to hang around for a while and see how it pans out.

Kittel got a fever...

http://live.cyclingnews.com/

Circuit map attached but seemingly it's drying

I hope the fever isn't blamed on the inclement Irish weather they had to put up with.

..... edit... nevermind...i googled

is there laps once they get to Bari?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

..... edit... nevermind...i googled

is there laps once they get to Bari?

as per OP

'The stage finishes with eight laps of a street circuit that is 8.3km long, which is littered with tricky, tight corners. Similar to the finish in Dublin, the last corner appears with about 350m to go, and the home straight is slightly uphill'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

watching this on eurosport on laptop and screen keeps breaking up but sound is fine. is it just me or anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Yeah bit it is a patchy on my iPhone in Work :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Is Italian rain ,,so much Different to soft Irish Rain ?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

No time bonuses today.

Seems to be ongoing discussions between riders & organisers as to how the stage is going to finish out

http://live.cyclingnews.com/
    16:23:59 CEST
    Race radio chief has told Italian television is that due to the risk of adverse weather conditions, the race will be neutralised with one lap to go and times taken for the overall classification. No time bonuses will be awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

The riders miss the decent honest Irish rain. This snakey Eyetalian rain is a different matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So times will be taken with one lap to go, and then the sprinters etc. will race the final lap.

Yip - no time bonuses for sprints but points still up for grabs

Couple of small crashes on the last lap.

Greasy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

The scrolling background during the post race interviews was very strange.

So times will be taken with one lap to go, and then the sprinters etc. will race the final lap.

is that not normal enough anyway in that if you crash within the last 5km or so you are given the time of the group you were in?

is that not normal enough anyway in that if you crash within the last 5km or so you are given the time of the group you were in?

Yes but in this case you don't have to have a mechanical, you don't even need to keep up with the sprinters. You can just pedal around at a safe speed. Good thing too, for the gc riders it's a big risk with no reward

In other words, they can allow themselves to split the peloton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Not exactly riveting viewing so far, but probably suits Nico down to the ground given his lack off race time this season. When are the fireworks set to go off - Sat?

Edit: possibly should have posted in general Giro thread - sorry if so!

Advertisement