Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best steak in Donegal?

Options
  • 12-05-2014 10:03pm
    Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭

The brother is coming home from Oz next week for his birthday and I want to treat him to a nice steak. Im not really up on Donegal restaurants these days. Where is the best spot for a great steak? Around Letterkeny proffered. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

A few places around the town do steak nights now during the week. Off the top of my head there is McGettigans at the Clanree on a Monday night and The Brewery on a Friday night. Kellys at the mountain top do one on a Saturday but it wasnt great the night I went to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had an absolute belter of a steak a few weeks back in the Red Door in Fahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

The Firebox Grill in fahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

boxer.fan wrote: »

Probably another good spot.

I had plenty of good ones over the years there, but I have heard mixed reports of it in the last year or so, but I haven't been there in a couple of years so not sure how true the rumours are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Probably another good spot.

I had plenty of good ones over the years there, but I have heard mixed reports of it in the last year or so, but I haven't been there in a couple of years so not sure how true the rumours are.

Firebox grill for steak is sacreligious, you have to get the ribs in there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Steak from the firebox grill is unreal! Love going up for steak and banter with the staff, really warming place!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Does Arena 7 still do those stoned cooked steak things?

best i've had in Letterkenny but never been to the one in Fahan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Firebox Grill is very nice, the early bird is something like €14 for fillet medallions, mash, sauce + side order. The evening menu is a bit pricier.

As someone above says though, it can be hit and miss as sometimes it's mental busy and you're left waiting ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Also one night I went to the firebox grill but there was no tables so I went to burnfoot to Harry's I think it's called (my ma calls it Harry Leo's) and I must say the steak was top notch there too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Also one night I went to the firebox grill but there was no tables so I went to burnfoot to Harry's I think it's called (my ma calls it Harry Leo's) and I must say the steak was top notch there too!!

Harry Leos is now Doherty's chip shop. Ya might have got a steak in there but not sure if deep fried steak would be that nice.

Harrys restaurant is decent alright not too pricey either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

irish_goat wrote: »
    Firebox Grill is very nice, the early bird is something like €14 for fillet medallions, mash, sauce + side order. The evening menu is a bit pricier.

As someone above says though, it can be hit and miss as sometimes it's mental busy and you're left waiting ages.

What's their beer selection like?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭princess3901

danniemcq wrote: »
    Does Arena 7 still do those stoned cooked steak things?

best i've had in Letterkenny but never been to the one in Fahan

Yes they do, just had it on saturday night past. Was to die for. The Manhattan Steak House in Donegal town is also a good choice for steak if you didn't mind travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I had an absolute belter of a steak a few weeks back in the Red Door in Fahan.

Good call.
    boxer.fan wrote: »

I always eat steak if I go to 'The Firebox Grill'...except the last two times I've been. That was because (IMHO) the last few times I'd been before taht, the steak was sh1te.
    Steak from the firebox grill is unreal!

That used to be my opinion.

My favourite steak these days is Harry's in Bridgend.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    What's their beer selection like?

Rubbish, they got an order of Donegal Blonde and a few William's Bros beers in but half the staff don't know they're there and I'd imagine by this stage they haven't bothered to reorder (or the ones still there are pushing expiry date).

Red Door has Kinnegar though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

The Firebox grill is great and Harry's is very good as well for steaks....

Must get back up again soon for a few of those

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Headin to Harry's today. Will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

dregin wrote: »
    Headin to Harry's today. Will report back!

Well? :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement