Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflux tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm still a little perplexed about the little man, during the day he's fine, but after his 3am feed he has all the symptoms... Hiccuping, choking, gurgling, coughing, pulling his knees up, going rigid etc. So he never really settles back after that feed.

I might try elevating his mattress at one end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm the opposite... Little man is fine during the night, sleeps great, feeds great...laying flat on his back is no prob.

During the day he gets the hiccups, pukes after every feed, arches his back, cries and won't lie flat for any length of time. It's like the feed is hurting him after two ounces because he just refuses and shakes his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

January wrote: »
    I'm the opposite... Little man is fine during the night, sleeps great, feeds great...laying flat on his back is no prob.

During the day he gets the hiccups, pukes after every feed, arches his back, cries and won't lie flat for any length of time. It's like the feed is hurting him after two ounces because he just refuses and shakes his head.

My little girl was diagnosed with silent reflux very early but the phn was disagreed at first because of the fact that she was good at night. During the day it was the classics: hiccups, back arching, not able to lie flat for any length of time. Poor little bub ended up on Zantac a few weeks later. She's now off the Zantac and is starting to bring up a lot of acidy stuff into her mouth again :-(

Switched him to comfort formula from his first bottle this morning and he wolfed the third one down and drank all but half an ounce of the fourth... soundly asleep now but did have about an hour and a half of crying just before that. Due a feed now in a few but he seems to be getting on OK for now. Hopefully won't need Zantac or Gaviscon etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My small girl seems to be growing out of it gradually... 10 weeks old at the moment, only one or two episodes a day now instead of 8-10. Keeping much more of her food down, and gaining weight, which is a relief.

Gaviscon did nothing for her, except produce horrible nappies. She would dry retch instead of throwing up, and was very distressed with it. Same for the stay-down formula, but that constipated her. So we stuck to wearing a sling during the day, elevation of cot at night. Small feeds, very often, and it's passing bit by bit.

It's a bit like having a preemie with the feeding pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Well my little one is puke free for a week now.. But the pains and wind she's had are awful.. One night putting her on her belly eased her and the next night didn't.. Now two nights in a row only swaddling helped.. Maybe there's something to it.. Day one was 8 hours screaming after 5 days it's down to 20 mins here and there.. A long way from 8 hours straight

Ok, so switched him to the comfort formula but he's still puking a lot, screams when put down during the day, coughs and hiccups a lot (sometimes even before we've started winding), will cat nap for 5 mins during the day and then wake up screaming. He's gaining weight though and sleeping well at night...

Does this sound like silent reflux? We have our six week check up this week and I'm prepared for doc to fob me off because he's gaining weight and sleeping well but I hate the thought of him being in pain during the day :(

I rekon it is.. My little one was puke free for over 4 weeks and 4 days ago after days of screaming started puking again.. I went back to GP was given zantec again and new formula and no puke since 2 days ago.. So think it's OK again.. Hers goes and comes back don't know why..

She seems like she's chewing something at times so think it's the silent reflux too.. She sleeps at night and now settles great during the day..

I HATE REFLUX AS MUCH AS SHE DOES

I'll ask the GP for Gaviscon maybe as a starter so... see if that works.

I found she didn't like gaviscon.. But my cousins baby who's a month younger thrives on it..

Anything that could help try it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had S at doc during the week: she's 12 weeks, 13 pounds 6 ounces, and is gaining weight (100g a week over 4 weeks). But because it's under what's considered normal and she had dropped from 97th percentile to 75th (although heading back to 85th), he started her on carobel on top of the Zantac. So doc isn't worried but did listen to me. She's breastfed so she's getting spoonfed the carobel because she's breastfed.

The difference since Fri is unreal. She's only had the hiccups once. She only used two bibs today (I used 6 in an hour on Wed). It's unreal: and despite feeding non stop in a growth spurt we've only had 2/3 big pukes today. I'm so happy I could cry! Oh and she's had 3 poos. She was only once a week before that. And no breathing weirdness, but that can be hit and miss in fairness.

So go with your gut. I am so sorry I didn't a month ago. Gaviscon didn't work for S, but did with mild silent reflux with C.

cyning wrote: »
    I had S at doc during the week: she's 12 weeks, 13 pounds 6 ounces, and is gaining weight (100g a week over 4 weeks). But because it's under what's considered normal and she had dropped from 97th percentile to 75th (although heading back to 85th), he started her on carobel on top of the Zantac. So doc isn't worried but did listen to me. She's breastfed so she's getting spoonfed the carobel because she's breastfed.

The difference since Fri is unreal. She's only had the hiccups once. She only used two bibs today (I used 6 in an hour on Wed). It's unreal: and despite feeding non stop in a growth spurt we've only had 2/3 big pukes today. I'm so happy I could cry! Oh and she's had 3 poos. She was only once a week before that. And no breathing weirdness, but that can be hit and miss in fairness.

So go with your gut. I am so sorry I didn't a month ago. Gaviscon didn't work for S, but did with mild silent reflux with C.

Ohhh the breathing thing too, Luke is very grunty! He snores worse than his dad!

The breathing is driving me nuts! Aside from the grunting we can get very slow breathing followed by very fast breathing and crying. She goes blue around her lips from it at times. Doc says blue around lips can be very normal, don't worry etc, but thankfully seems to be getting less and less now. It doesn't help she got pneumonia so young and needed oxygen which obviously makes me a worry wart.

I just can't get over the difference the carobel made. It is so much better than the Zantac. Well it seems that way anyway!

Hello, Just wondering what age your baby was when they grew out of the reflux? Thanks

My first had mild silent reflux and it dramatically improved about 4 months. I think it all depends on baby though and hers was mild.

We started on losec today instead of Zantac. So my poor 3 month old is on losec, carobel, gaviscon and lactolose. I'm utterly exhausted from it.

I found carobel great but making the bottles was daunting... Did you find it seperated when bottle was in the fridge? We had to stop using cause she started puking again so now back to zantac and new formula

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

Hi all.just came across this thread and it brought back memories.my daughter is now 7 and had severe reflux.she was fine for first 3 days in hosp but then it started.projectile vomiting.like the exorcist.basically I took two hours to feed her and in order to keep it down had to hold her vertically during feed and for hrs after.my arm ached.public health nurse was useless.the day when I thought she was not able to breathe I brought her back to crumlin.dr was brill and admitted her.that night was the first time I slept In five weeks.anyway they did X-rays etc.weak sphincter muscle at top of her tummy.gaviscon in bottles.zantac before feeds.infacol.mum returned home and could at last sleep coz we hired a monitor from Medicare that we'd beep if she stopped breathing.i was afraid milk we'd go into her lungs.sorry if this is a bit scary but once I knew she was ok I cd cope with the washing machine on constantly.got cuter bout havin towel over shoulder and in pram.had both cot and pram raised so that her head was always higher than tummy so acid would stay down.when she got older we had a little bouncy chair to keep her sitting up and she we'd even sleep in it that way.it gradually got better but to be honest was nearly a year and occasionally now she tells me a little sick has come up.

Changed to dr browns bottles to help with wind.

Feel a little sad sometimes when I see my friend holding her baby normally and baby playing on floor but sure you do what you have to.must have looked strange holding her straight all the time and nobody wanted to nurse her,too risky.

She's great now and when she asks what her first words were I tell her "puke" and we laugh.

Hope some of this helps ye coz I remember it being a very tough time and when someone would say " she's making her stomach" would feel like decking them.

Best of luck.

I'm breastfeeding so I make the carobel up as a paste and she takes it on a spoon. It worked great for a few days. It's frustrating to make up fresh every time she feeds though especially with a toddler running around!!

Seriously at my wits end :( this poor baby cannot drink more than 3 ounces without screaming, arching his back, shaking his head quickly... he pukes after every single feed, even with Stay Down formula. I've tried different bottles, different teats, different formula, infant gaviscon...

I'm getting severely stressed when it comes to feeding time... he doesn't settle during the day but come 8.30pm he's out cold and sleeps for the night, I don't know if it's from exhaustion or what... he is still gaining weight though... plenty of dirty (sometimes up to 4 poo's a day) and wet nappies.

Oh the wee poor fella. Mine couldn't take more than three ounces for ages either. She's only up to about 5 ounces at a time at the moment, almost 4 months old. We still feed very frequently, every 3 hours, even through the night. But it is getting much better. She keeps more down etc. I was even able to put her on a flat playmat today for the first time. Granted, she did throw up, but it wasn't instantly like before... Lasted a good ten minutes.

Maybe just leave him at the three ounces very frequently for another few weeks? If he's thriving, sleeping, etc?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear January... There really is nothing worse.. Our little one was put on neutramagen and its been a god send she loves it too..
    Its true that different things work for different babies.. It major sucks that there is such a thing as reflux

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Poor baby and poor you :( Its very stressful when it happens - I remember crying trying to get our little one to feed. Its so horrible to see that they are hungry but can't eat :( At least your LO is still gaining weight - there was weight loss here & she's still pretty small for her age but thankfully the refusal to eat only lasted about 2/3 weeks. Have you been referred to a paediatrician?

Back in hospital with my four month old: has anyone else had a barium swallow? How did baby find fasting?

I'm so exhausted from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My son had a barium swallow, he was 18 months at the time though so a little older than your little one, he had to drink it
    from a beaker or his bottle, it was tough trying to get him to drink it but i just had to persuade him as much as I could, the having to lie perfectly still on the table for the xray was a challenge I along with the nurse had to hold him down but it was all over in minutes, the fasting was a nightmare and the hospital kept changing the times for him to go down to xray in the end I just cried with frustration for my child and this helped speed things up, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

January I haven't read back through old posts do forgive me if I'm restating what others have said. Your little girl sounds exactly like our bit was. In the end, we went to crumlin and they witnessed the back arching and screaming, he was put straight into Zantac and it honestly changed out life at the time. He was on it for a few months and I stopped it once he was fully weaned to solids. At 18months now he could still vomit a bit if his morning bottle but he's not in pain so I don't mind. Hope you get some relief soon.

The back arching and screaming has stopped with the Staydown formula but he's still bringing a good bit of it back up and even 5 minutes before his next feed he's puking up his last one and it's all curdled :|

A little bit before next feed is when refluxy babies often puke... I dunno did you get any reflux yourself when pregnant? I did, and it was always when i was hungry that i would throw up horrible bile stuff. Ended up having a pack of rice cakes on me all the time to stave off any sign of it.

I know it's a pain, but we found a very small feed between main feeds helped keep that down. A snack between feeds.

I have an unopened tin of staydown if anyone wants to pm me an address, i'll post it.

The barium went ok today... She has moderate reflux because she is gaining weight :)

But they want me to only breastfeed her every 3 hours: she's currently fed on demand and I think it's the frequent feeding which means she has gained weight. I just don't know whether it's the right thing to do to limit a 4 month old ebf baby and give her water between each feed or not. Breastfeeding advice is woeful alot of the time and I feel this is wrong but it's hard not to do what a doc says too!

I had the most horrible heart burn during pregnancy but that was it, I was knocking back gaviscon regularly. I wonder if there's any connection between that and the fact that he has reflux :eek:

Glad to hear the barium went well cyning. I wouldn't have a clue because I'm not breast feeding but maybe contact a lactation consultant and ask their opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

January wrote: »
    I had the most horrible heart burn during pregnancy but that was it, I was knocking back gaviscon regularly. I wonder if there's any connection between that and the fact that he has reflux :eek:

Glad to hear the barium went well cyning. I wouldn't have a clue because I'm not breast feeding but maybe contact a lactation consultant and ask their opinion?

I dont have reflux babies but still like a snoop. I died absolutely died with heartburn with no 1. Your talking drinking gavison from the bottle . Having acidy burps etc and she didnt have reflux. No 2 i had heartburn too but was bearable compared to no 1.

Advertisement