Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Village works

Options
  • 12-05-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

After about 20 Years of promises they seems to be some works started in Blackrock village. The disused toilets have been knocked and there are some road closures for works in the village and Convent road.

There has been a park promised in the green in front of the old Convent building for about 10 Years.

Anybody any more news on this development ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We got a letter in the door saying it was closed for "emergency works". Not sure what that is, but i doubt it's the planned jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Yea the work will last until February.
    The first phase has started now and involved site investigations and trenches and this will be followed in the summer by the main contract.

imgur.com/a/fQDrQ
    (Sorry don't have 50 posts to create a link)

According to the plans for the Marina Park around Páirc Uí Chaoimh they want to bring the Marina road level with the footpaths all the way down to Blackrock so it should tie in nicely when that's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Yea the work will last until February.
    The first phase has started now and involved site investigations and trenches and this will be followed in the summer by the main contract.

imgur.com/a/fQDrQ
    (Sorry don't have 50 posts to create a link)

According to the plans for the Marina Park around Páirc Uí Chaoimh they want to bring the Marina road level with the footpaths all the way down to Blackrock so it should tie in nicely when that's done.

Hi - what site are you trying to link to there ? I'll see can I get the link. :)

clerk wrote: »
    Hi - what site are you trying to link to there ? I'll see can I get the link. :)

It's imgur.com I uploaded some of the Blacrock drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

After about 20 Years of promises they seems to be some works started in Blackrock village. The disused toilets have been knocked and there are some road closures for works in the village and Convent road.

There has been a park promised in the green in front of the old Convent building for about 10 Years.

Anybody any more news on this development ?

http://thecork.ie/2014/05/07/audio-blackrock-village-upgrade-begins/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Located 10 minutes from Cork City Centre it will have a large plaza area
    with steps down to the water, and new streets lamps, and benches.

10 minutes from the city centre? A bit ambitious there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Located 10 minutes from Cork City Centre it will have a large plaza area
    with steps down to the water, and new streets lamps, and benches.

10 minutes from the city centre? A bit ambitious there.

If you go down towards the Marina in a car ( which is now supposed to be pedestrianised anyway !! ) - yes 10 minutes, but that would kind of defeat the purpose.

As a run 10 minutes is Gold Olympic standard ;):D

evilivor wrote: »

Thanks for that.

But the thing is they've been making promises like the ones on that link for between 10 & 20 Years, on various issues down in the village.

But now they have actually done something !!! I was wondering if anyone had some local knowledge.

Like on the link above it says "The wall of the old Ursuline Convent will be knocked to widen the road
    towards Mahon later." Later when ? 2014 ? 2015 ? 2016 ? 2022 ? 2028 ?

Like see the attached link, dating back to Oct 2005 !!!

http://corkcity.ie/services/planningdevelopment/localplanning/nonstatutoryplansanddevelopmentbriefs/blackrockvillageareaactionplan/

It's just that the traffic is murder going up Convent Road, especially when the bus comes against you - it's bedlam and you could write a book about the broken promises.

The first phase that has started only covers the harbour, the new carpark and taking down the convent wall facing the bakery.
    There is a long term plan to widen the convent road but there is no definite timeline for when it will take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Bm8ypZ1IYAApSQh.jpg:large

Pitcairn wrote: »
    The first phase that has started only covers the harbour, the new carpark and taking down the convent wall facing the bakery.

There is a long term plan to widen the convent road but there is no definite timeline for when it will take place.

Ok - thanks.

What is the point taking down the wall facing the bakery unless they are going to do up the field as a park ? Do you have any idea.

Also the turn on the Marina side under the new planned road is very sharp. I suppose it makes sense if they are going to pedestrianise the Marina but if not ( and it all goes Pete Tong ) it will be a disaster.

Also in terms of parking the amount of spaces as far as I can see is very limited. There does not appear to be any extra spaces. As far as I can see there is planned parking for 10 cars but there are already approx 10 cars parked down that lane on a given Day as it is currently a very quite laneway and there is parking in the Village itself for about 15 cars ish.

For example there is a market once a Month down there and it's bedlam, cars parked all over the gaff, blocking the road all over the gaff. Under the new plan that all ends ? but where are they all going to park ?

In fairness it might ?? look well when it is done but l'd love to know where all the cars coming down to the lovely village are going to park ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The convent grounds behind the wall are supposed to become a playground.

The market is there weekly, not monthly, and a lot of people cycle or walk to that along the marina or up the railway line.

I went for a walk down there this afternoon, the road is closed because they are digging three trenches across it. You can actually drive around them by going over to the dock (down the road where the scout hall is) and going up castle road. The digging is between the bakery and the convent wall.

Very busy this afternoon in the sun, the cafe was full, there was an icecream van going as well.

pwurple wrote: »
    I went for a walk down there this afternoon, the road is closed because they are digging three trenches across it.

Any idea what the 'three trenches' are for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

They're called slit trenches and they're for checking the locations of underground services before the main job starts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Probably an elaborate trap to catch unsuspecting norries.:pac:

What's going to happen to the "modern art":rolleyes: yoke that has bestrode the waters edge for the past 30 years or so??

What's going to happen to the "modern art":rolleyes: yoke that has bestrode the waters edge for the past 30 years or so??

Good Q - I must check it is still there. In a lovely spot it is ( was? ), hiding behind the grotto. Always draws huge crowds down every Sunday.

They'll be able to view it now from the mini Coliseum around the waters edge. The locals won't get a look in when this all kicks off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Probably an elaborate trap to catch unsuspecting norries.:pac:

Well they already repaved that whole area and put in new benches over the last couple of years, so the rusty eyesore will probably stay :rolleyes:. Tis a grand storage spot for empty naggins and fag boxes.

Although having said that, with the penchant the council have for wasting money lately, they'll probably dig up all the paving again and replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Karmella wrote: »
    Although having said that, with the penchant the council have for wasting money lately, they'll probably dig up all the paving again and replace it.

And yet,

@AlanHealy
    15/05/2014 14:53
    Cork City Council say they do not have the funds to fix the Shandon clock this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Good Q - I must check it is still there. In a lovely spot it is ( was? ), hiding behind the grotto. Always draws huge crowds down every Sunday.

They'll be able to view it now from the mini Coliseum around the waters edge. The locals won't get a look in when this all kicks off. :D

We'll still be nearer to answering the question that divided the art critics of the world in the 80s, "which is better, the one in Blackrock village or the one at the Wilton roundabout?":(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

evilivor wrote: »
    And yet,

@AlanHealy
    15/05/2014 14:53
    Cork City Council say they do not have the funds to fix the Shandon clock this year.

Oh dear.Nor do they have money to paint the shaky bridge,yet they have money to sponsor the golf coming up in Fota.

So the circus carries on.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

There seems to be no joined up thinking involved at all. There's lots of stop-start work at the town end as well. They put up a planning notice last year saying that they were developing a 'green way' along Monaghan Road, dredged the stream and then, err, fecked off and left it. I was down there around Easter and noticed a planning application (dated March 2014) by the old Mainport building saying they wanted to put a through-way between Centre Park Road and Monaghan Road. The exact same planning notice was there, dated from 2010, right next to it.

If it was a cycle lane they wanted, there'd be fifteen of them in by now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

There seems to be no joined up thinking involved at all. There's lots of stop-start work at the town end as well. They put up a planning notice last year saying that they were developing a 'green way' along Monaghan Road, dredged the stream and then, err, fecked off and left it. I was down there around Easter and noticed a planning application (dated March 2014) by the old Mainport building saying they wanted to put a through-way between Centre Park Road and Monaghan Road. The exact same planning notice was there, dated from 2010, right next to it.

That's gas, I remember reading that notice now as I jog down the Maria a fair bit. Was out the direction of Blackrock yesterday evening and indeed the (disused?) toilet block is no more. Will be keeping an eye on proceedings over the next few weeks with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Oh dear.Nor do they have money to paint the shaky bridge,yet they have money to sponsor the golf coming up in Fota.

So the circus carries on.

They had plenty of money 3 years ago to dig up a roundabout, put in traffic lights and within a year, dig up the traffic lights and put the roundabout back in place outside St. Finbarr's GAA pitch. €500,000 in all it cost.

Advertisement