Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung 55”UE55HU6900 Ultra HD tv 4K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Denisoftus wrote: »
    By the way, does 4K Netflix work on your set?

I've read that the Netflix App was disabled on the HU6900 due to issues and would be fixed at some point.

Netflix 4K works on the HU7500 and it looks amazing (House of Cards).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

techdiver, can you confirm that you can fast forwards and skip on your HU7500 watching movies with the TV media player, please? I'm considering upgrading to 2014 evo kit, but when - it depends, I don't want to spend extra just for house of cards, you know :)

techdiver, can you confirm that you can fast forwards and skip on your HU7500 watching movies with the TV media player, please? I'm considering upgrading to 2014 evo kit, but when - it depends, I don't want to spend extra just for house of cards, you know :)

I've been mostly using the Plex app to stream DLNA from my home server and I can fast forward etc on that. I can also do it on Netfllix. I haven't tested any direct media though USB yet. I'll test it on Wednesday/Thursday when my replacement set arrives (vertical banding on the first 2).

Also, if you can access US netflix (manually change DNS on the TV) you can get Breaking Bad, Ghostbusters, and Smurfs 2 in 4k. Ghostbusters doesn't look that great but the rest looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cyklo

And of course you right, none of my media boxes, PCH or Apple TV can play any of UHD content, I will rely on tele for that, thought none still available to play :)

By the way, does 4K Netflix work on your set?

It's not only 4k content i'm talking about, but video files encoded with HEVC and x265, which are a half size of typical x264 ripps. i think it's a game changer.
    The Netflix app been working since day one (fw1004]
    BTW if you have an access to any proxy for Poland you can download Samsung app called Strefa VoD UHD, which will give another 8 4k movies, tough only 1 looks like native 4k and the rest seems to be upscaled.

Well Samsung have completed the hat-trick in providing me with 3 TV's in a row with bad vertical banding.

Do they do any quality control, or even test for banding. When some one pays €4,000 for a TV, do they think they will be happy with a TV with such issues?

I can't understand how they allow these out the door an ruin an otherwise fantastic piece of equipment!

• Advertisement

If you return it and get full refund, you can get a new one cheaper then 2 months ago :) Maybe you should try Sony/Panasonic?

Hey, I tested USB and you can fast forward and skip on the TV player.

Cheers, I can fast forward on Netflix, USB, but streaming from media server let me only pause or stop. I hope 2014 kit will fix it. The price seems to me getting affordable, it started as £399, now I can get UK version for €299 :)

By the way, when you mention vertical banding, I feared to look back on the TV as I will look more carefully, and if I had found it....... :) But looks like my set was free of this, still have some other issues, being a top of the range, even old one, it maybe passed a better QA.

Its weird that nowadays to get something decent you have to spend days looking at forums and select one without many bug and hope yours are not going to be an exception. and then spending month trying to get a replacement if you unlucky to get this exceptional one :(

I recall 10 years ago anything I bought was working from the start, what will happened 10 years from now :(

By the way, when you mention vertical banding, I feared to look back on the TV as I will look more carefully, and if I had found it....... :) But looks like my set was free of this, still have some other issues, being a top of the range, even old one, it maybe passed a better QA.

Its weird that nowadays to get something decent you have to spend days looking at forums and select one without many bug and hope yours are not going to be an exception. and then spending month trying to get a replacement if you unlucky to get this exceptional one :(

I recall 10 years ago anything I bought was working from the start, what will happened 10 years from now :(

I know, it seems standards have slipped big time.

I've also noticed quite a bit of backlight bleed and uniformity issues with this set too. Also, it will not do a firmware update even though I know for a fact a newer one is available.

I downloaded the latest firmware onto a usb drive, but I can;t seem to find the update via USB option. It only seems to try to update OTA without trying the USB.

Seems like this third one is a complete dud all together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

techdiver wrote: »

I've also noticed quite a bit of backlight bleed and uniformity issues with this set too. Also, it will not do a firmware update even though I know for a fact a newer one is available.

I downloaded the latest firmware onto a usb drive, but I can;t seem to find the update via USB option. It only seems to try to update OTA without trying the USB.

Just return it for a refund altogether I'd say.

There has been many reports of the backlight bleed on aVSForums, you may want to have a look there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭johnj1969

bk wrote: »
    Quick, get a Panasonic Plasma before supplies all dry up!

This is what I've been trying to tell people all throughout this thread. LED/LCD, even, 4k TV, are far inferior to a good plasma.

Yes, it is incredibly sad how bad the TV industry is and how there are more interested in selling inferior technology and focusing on immature features like 3D, Smart TV, curved TV and now 4k for purely marketing purposes, over quality.

Spend your money on a quality plasma, plasmas have by far the best picture quality, while also having the best SD upconverting and superb for sports and gaming due to low lag, etc.
    Can't agree there with some Samsung & Sony etc. 4k sets now becoming market friendly.

Its also down to personal preference regarding the LCD vs. Plasma. Its not set in stone that either is superior.they both have their respective issues & assets.

Plasma in a bright room is on the dark side no matter what you do also,but i agree to a great cinema picture in a dark room. But all decent TVs look good in a dark room don't they?

I would hardly call the Panasonic ZT60 inferior build or PQ to a Kuro now either. Did Pioneer not shell out their Kuro plasma tech to Pana a couple of years back, so it can only be improved by now surely.

They were the best a few years ago, but Kuro PQ is surpassed in various ways. I suppose if i shelled out €5k for a 50 inch TV 6-7 years ago, i would find it hard not to back it. Kuro owners are having a hard time admitting the natural improvements of TV tech in 6-7 years past. If it was only a "Blacks" issue, Kuro would still be competing at least with Panasonics outgoing flagship Plasmas, but its only LG now that is clinging to Plasma.

Regarding the LCD vs Plasma debate it will be a talkpoint & debate for ever... well until LG stop producing them that is.

I seen an LG OLED curved TV on display in Power city, even though the settings were eye searing, the Blacks, black detail, & contrast was the best i've ever seen, i could only imagine what it would have looked like, set up properly & calibrated.:eek:

Firmware updates are really these company's sending gear out half-baked, then trying to sort out bugs later rather than sooner. Also no update will improve VB or backlight clouding. But it can disappear with time though, but not always completely.

3 in a row suggests a refund & keep an eye on the likes of HDTV Test for reviews. What (is) HiFi? are clearly there to push mass market. Good luck, you will get one you like with some patience.

johnj1969 wrote: »
    Firmware updates are really these company's sending gear out half-baked, then trying to sort out bugs later rather than sooner. Also no update will improve VB or backlight clouding. But it can disappear with time though, but not always completely.

3 in a row suggests a refund & keep an eye on the likes of HDTV Test for reviews. What (is) HiFi? are clearly there to push mass market. Good luck, you will get one you like with some patience.

I was aware that the firmware wouldn't fix banding etc, I was just mentioning it as another issue. I wouldn't hold out hope for banding improving over time either. If anything it will get worse with age.

HDTV test gave it 9/10. Without the banding it would easily be that.

Samsung are sending an engineer out and if he verifies the issue they will offer me a free upgrade.

I was aware that the firmware wouldn't fix banding etc, I was just mentioning it as another issue. I wouldn't hold out hope for banding improving over time either.
    Was Just trying to give a little insight through my own experience, thats all.

I was mainly talking about the backlight issues regarding improving with time & that is fact not placebo etc.I should have made that more clear without adding vert. banding Hope you get what your looking for. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

There have been plenty of cases of vertical banding with plasma's too.

Yeah thats true.
    I had to go through 3 Panasonic ST50 sets and they all had bad vertical banding on the right hand side of the screen .
    Very noticeable on football or golf ,not really an issue on most programming but I watch alot of football and golf so it can be a pain.

Panasonic were trying to pass this off as being within spec which is disgraceful.
    I dint pay 1200 euro to watch banding .
    One chap on AVforums said he went through 8 sets with the issue and eventually gave up,every set had the issue to some degree.

I still have the issue but its not as noticeable ,primarily due to me tweaking the picture settings to hide it ,I rarely use True Cinema mode as that highlights it .

johnj1969 wrote: »
    Was Just trying to give a little insight through my own experience, thats all.

I was mainly talking about the backlight issues regarding improving with time & that is fact not placebo etc.I should have made that more clear without adding vert. banding Hope you get what your looking for. :)

Oh, I know, I'm sorry if the tone of my post came across wrong, it wasn't my intention. It's hard to set and garner tone from text discussion sometimes. :)

Oh, I know, I'm sorry if the tone of my post came across wrong, it wasn't my intention. It's hard to set and garner tone from text discussion sometimes. :)
    Yeah i know mate... sometimes we forget we are all behind keyboards & whats posted doesn't come out as intended. No apologies needed, your acknowledgement was what counts.;)

Was actually in Power city as its 2 mins from where i live & i must say some of the newer full-HD LCD LED backlit TVs have truly spectacular quality, esp the top tier Sonys & Samsungs. The LGs & Panasonics seemed expensive for the top-tier 1080p sets...

Ive heard the W955 has average contrast but they truly are very well built imo & the HD & SD PQ was good enough to touch. The Bravia 55" W829 & 805 were especially amazing looking PQ wise along with the sammy 6 & 7 series... for the price & PQ they are worth another generation in the home. By then we will all know where 4K is going.

Imagine trying to buy a 55" fully loaded TV for an average of €1350 2-3 years ago... It was unthinkable.

The frame rate & Netflix 4k compatibility issues would hold me back at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tjmm

Thinking of purchasing. Any suggestions as to models or where to get the best value, home or abroad. Any comments are welcome and appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Anonymous12

Pixmania are selling the Samsung UE40H6400 for €520!

Just bought this beauty. This summers model and got excellent reviews. You can't beat the price considering amazon want €660 for it!

Boards won't let me put up the url but just do a search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

tjmm wrote: »
    Thinking of purchasing. Any suggestions as to models or where to get the best value, home or abroad. Any comments are welcome and appreciated.

Havent bothered reading this thread, but ibood have it up today for €1065 delivered

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Havent bothered reading this thread, but ibood have it up today for €1065 delivered

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

I'd be wary of the latest deal. Different last 4 letters in the model number to the original deal and some worrying writing in the end of the description about decoders for your area. May not be Saorview compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

dos29 wrote: »
    I'd be wary of the latest deal. Different last 4 letters in the model number to the original deal and some worrying writing in the end of the description about decoders for your area. May not be Saorview compatible.

If you're buying a 4k TV and hooking it up to Saorview, then you're not doing it right.

It's a great price for an entry level 4k TV. If I had somewhere to put a 55" TV I'd be thinking about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No 24fps native playback support which will mean judder, forget about this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

slave1 wrote: »

And no 3D either,pity as i was tempted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

If you're buying a 4k TV and hooking it up to Saorview, then you're not doing it right.

It's a great price for an entry level 4k TV. If I had somewhere to put a 55" TV I'd be thinking about it.

Genuine question, why (re: saorview)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

slave1 wrote: »

One of the lads on AVForums posted a picture of his set showing it running 24p. By all accounts, and like most modern sets, the blurring is caused by extra processing. When this is turned off, the blurring goes away.

Seriously tempted. It's reduced to €1600 in Harvey Norman at the minute. And it's €1610 in DID.

Soarer wrote: »
    Seriously tempted. It's reduced to €1600 in Harvey Norman at the minute. And it's €1610 in DID.

Why don't you buy directly from iBood for €1049 then, and save around €560? Its back on today again: http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 cyklo

One of the lads on [...posted a picture of his set showing it running 24p. By all accounts, and like most modern sets, the blurring is caused by extra processing. When this is turned off, the blurring goes away.
    DID.
    Hi.
    We have this TV since June. It's playing 24fps properly and it has de-juder function, but not the best around. Also you're completely wrong about blurring. It's happen because of technology limitation (check the term "Sample and Hold"). Picture processing - in this case adding artificial made frames, can make it easier for our eyes, but it's also causing artefacts. Switching off all picture processing functions can not make it blur-free, however switching off some of them may pleased your eyes ;)
    Remember HU6900 its a basic model with 60Hz display panel without de-blurring feature available on menu. Please do not expect low blur from this one.

So, just to fill you in on my experience.

An engineer called out to look at my third HU7500 and he verified the banding issue on it, (along with some bad backlight bleed). He submitted the report to Samsung and on Friday I took delivery of a new UE65HU8500. Samsung authorized power city to swap my third HU7500 out with the HU8500 as a free upgrade.

So far I am very satisfied with the HU8500. There is no banding and screen uniformity is excellent. (I've finally got a good one :)). The picture is excellent, even somewhat better than the HU7500 and the blacks are "black". The Cinema Black feature is a nice one too, that disables the LED's in the section of the screen that correspond to the black bars on a 2.53:1 aspect ratio movie.

So far everything is perfect apart from an odd intermittent issue when streaming high bit rate movies over PLEX and the fact that motion plus seems to automatically turn on on MVC 3D sources, even though it's turned off in the settings. (I'm sure a firmware fix will address this). I have been able to work around this by ironically enough turning the Motion Plus engine on and selecting "Clear".

4K source looks amazing too and there is a definite difference in picture quality between 1080p and 2160p.

Also, I must point out that power city have been amazing from a customer care point of view from start to finish. We often only hear bad stories about retailers, but power city excelled themselves in sorting this issue out for me and following up with Samsung. Credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Wow,that was a nice free upgrade,Power city had a bad rep back in the day for customer service but a lot has to do with wether the company has a base here or not,Samsung do.My sis bought an LG plasma of them some years ago and was told she had to ship it back to England herself as there were no LG service centers here despite it still being under warranty.

to swap my third HU7500 out with the HU8500 as a free upgrade.

Congratulations mate it was definitely worth it to spend all this time. Is this the one curved? I was thinking of it, but it was too much for my budget so end up with F9000+2014 evolution kit with makes it similar to 2014 series. Still not happy with viewing angles but this is what happens when you switch from low end plasma to high end LED :) overall I'm happy with the set too, still have my 2014 kit in transfer will update when receive one and test it.

Enjoy it! Have you tried Netflix by the way?

Congratulations mate it was definitely worth it to spend all this time. Is this the one curved? I was thinking of it, but it was too much for my budget so end up with F9000+2014 evolution kit with makes it similar to 2014 series. Still not happy with viewing angles but this is what happens when you switch from low end plasma to high end LED :) overall I'm happy with the set too, still have my 2014 kit in transfer will update when receive one and test it.

Enjoy it! Have you tried Netflix by the way?

Yeah, it's the curved one alright. Viewing angles don't bother me as this TV is for my man cave and I sit directly in front at a distance of 6 feet. :-) I have tried netflix. House of Cards season 2 is awesome in 4k.

I've done more testing with my plex and I am starting to suspect that I have a faulty LAN port/interface on the one connect. I swapped out my upc router for my belkin dual band one and over wifi it seems to work better. It goes against all logic. I will still probably have some bandwidth limitations (although I am getting 80Mbps on the 5Ghz channel). I might look into getting an 802.11 ac router as the one connect apparently supports ac.

Best of luck with the new one connect box. Let me know how you get on. If you use plex or any other dlna, let me know if you have any stutter / buffering issues using high bitrate mkv or m2ts files (no compression bluray rips).

How do you find curved vs normal after watching at home, I know in the store it is the different story. I was considering between two and end up with normal one, in fact, I was thinking to wait 6-9 months and get budget for curved one vs normal now :) end up getting normal one, if forget about price tag still I'm not sure if I'd like to get curved. What do you think of it?

• Advertisement

I don't understand those curved yokes. What the supposed benefit?
    And, as we all know, the shortest difference between two points is a straight line. So if you have a 65" curved screen, is it 65" from corner to corner excluding the curve, or does the 65 inches follow the curve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

And, as we all know, the shortest difference between two points is a straight line. So if you have a 65" curved screen, is it 65" from corner to corner excluding the curve, or does the 65 inches follow the curve?

I find it just feels more immersive, like you're more ingulfed in the image as it's wrapped around you but some people don't like it at all

Kevin! wrote: »
    I find it just feels more immersive, like you're more ingulfed in the image as it's wrapped around you but some people don't like it at all

Fair enough.

But can you answer my questions?? ;)

As Kevin says it feels more immersive when you sit in the correct location, i.e. centred.

I will check the measurement when I get home this evening and update the thread. The curve isn't very severe either way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I suppose I'll need a curved wall to hang it? :)

• Advertisement

So, I measured the screen this evening and it is 65" corner to corner. So the curve doesn't take from the screen size.

Got my Evolution Kit finally connected, and surprisingly everything went well, no picture degradation noticed, I even say its improved. Only one negative point - its not fan-less, in a quiet time I can hear its fan, which wasn't the case for 2013 kit, anyway it won't bother me much :)

On positive side, Netflix 4K started working straight away, and they now have more titles available then last time I checked, a few documentaries 4-5 movies, and 2 TV series, not bad for a start . But in fairness after all I read "wow, amazing picture, outstanding" on avforums, I didn't notice anything outstanding, House Of Cards, which filmed in 4K, looked very 1080p to me, and also Smurfs 2, for the animated movie, I expected more. I checked and it was all running 2160p.

Now next step is connect my GoPro and check on my 4k recordings, and try Satellite Ultra Hd test channels. I will update you later.

Overall I'm not as happy with 4K netflix as I anticipated. BTW I'm still running on 2013 CNET calibration settings, this could be the case why 4k netflix doesn't look like 4K demos I get on USB. Please share your experience.

Thanks.

Got my Evolution Kit finally connected, and surprisingly everything went well, no picture degradation noticed, I even say its improved. Only one negative point - its not fan-less, in a quiet time I can hear its fan, which wasn't the case for 2013 kit, anyway it won't bother me much smile.png

On positive side, Netflix 4K started working straight away, and they now have more titles available then last time I checked, a few documentaries 4-5 movies, and 2 TV series, not bad for a start . But in fairness after all I read "wow, amazing picture, outstanding" on avforums, I didn't notice anything outstanding, House Of Cards, which filmed in 4K, looked very 1080p to me, and also Smurfs 2, for the animated movie, I expected more. I checked and it was all running 2160p.

Now next step is connect my GoPro and check on my 4k recordings, and try Satellite Ultra Hd test channels. I will update you later.

Overall I'm not as happy with 4K netflix as I anticipated. BTW I'm still running on 2013 CNET calibration settings, this could be the case why 4k netflix doesn't look like 4K demos I get on USB. Please share your experience.

Thanks.

Funny. I find the 4K House of Cards Season 2 to be a good deal better than the 1080p Season 1. To me it looks much more detailed and there is less compression artefacts than the 1080p content.

The fan in the one connect doesn't bother me. I tend to watch the TV at a loud enough volume anyway. biggrin.png Plus it's quieter than my PC which I have in the room also (running Plex).

I've elevated the one connect onto some pads to allow for extra air flow underneath.

If you get a chance can you try some full MVC 3D m2ts (if you have any). You can use MakeMKV to rip a 3D bluray and tsConverter to re-convert to m2ts. (3D is only supported using m2ts in MVC format).

Auto motion plus seems to automatically enabled even when it's set to Off in the pictre setting when watching full 3d content though USB or Plex. really weird.

Funny. I find the 4K House of Cards Season 2 to be a good deal better than the 1080p Season 1. To me it looks much more detailed and there is less compression artefacts than the 1080p content.

If you get a chance can you try some full MVC 3D m2ts (if you have any). You can use MakeMKV to rip a 3D bluray and tsConverter to re-convert to m2ts. (3D is only supported using m2ts in MVC format).

Auto motion plus seems to automatically enabled even when it's set to Off in the pictre setting when watching full 3d content though USB or Plex. really weird.

Well, maybe I can't really compare as I mostly watch Blurays, Netflix is my daughter area :) I find it very weak for new releases, so like old fashion guy still renting blurays :)

Unfortunately I don't have any 3D bluray and player, neither I have any PC, my home is mac only environment without DVD/bluray drives, so I can't really rip anything, sorry. :)

I have tried GoPro 4k and it looks really amazing, nothing like Netflix 4K, if not for 15p it will be my best own camera :) Also I tried some mV4 from youtube 4k, and they look better then netflix for sure.

Some on avsforums claims that youtube app on the TV is displaying 4K content, I can't confirm that, I tried downloaded on USB vs online and on USB looked better, can't blame Internet as I have 250Mb :)

Next thing to try Satellite 4K test channels, nut I pretty much sure it will be same as netflix.

When all this done, I can continue enjoying the 1080p movies and forget of 4K for 6-12 months, I think :)

Still I don't regred I upgraded to 2014 kit, even 1080p movies looks way better, probably motion de-blur implemented better on 2014 kit

After watching the Tv for a few nights, I must say, 2014 Evo kit has much much better black levels then previous box, even with all the 4k disappointment it was still worth it just for this alone. And motion blur compensation is also better implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Description says 50" but code is for 55"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

meathman0 wrote: »
    Description says 50" but code is for 55"

Just a typo, they probably copied it from the previous one, it has the correct 50" serial in the description.

My bad, I thought it is the same screen: that's why its cheaper :)

Was in "just opened" PowerCity in Carrickmines, and they have LG OLED Curved 55" full HD TV on display, I must say I was blown away by its black levels, viewing angles and overall picture quality. I know it was running DEMO, in a real life, it won't be as good, but still, damn I wish I've waited and got this one. Its only 2999 now.

SEK-2500U of course, brought better blacks to my F9000 and its 4K, but damn this LG is good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement