Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good engine for web based games?

• 12-05-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows of any good game engines for 2d sidescrolling or point and click web based games?

I was also wondering what would be the best language to use? I have experience with C++ C# and javascript and my initial guess would be to use javascript.

Im really testing the waters, it would be nice to have a web based game, with html5 support yet still work without html5 and also the possibility of translating it to android further down the line. Would those goals be too much to ask?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

When I did work experience after college I was asked to use Gamemaker, because that's what they were using to do their sidescrollers and it had to be ported to html5.
    But you have to bbuy the licence I think to be able to build it for certain platforms.
    I think there was a way I could have done it through Unity, but I didn't want to take the risk when they could just port my work using their licence.
    But if Unity can port to HTML5 which I think it might(think I saw a guide before on doing that), then I would say go Unity.

If you are experienced enough to know the foundations of programming, arrays, lists, loops, possibly a design pattern or what they are, I would be interested in chatting if you might be interested in joining a first person sci fi strategy shooter project (profit share).
    We need a fairly good programmer to cover the majority of the mechanics and GUI. Preferably C#.
    Sorry for plugging in your thread lol... just a thought if you are interested.

ps. I should add I found gamemaker very frustrating to use because of the drag n drop coding methods mixed with real coding.
    It was really slowing me down, until I started to learn it just through coding. However it involed a lot of code windows open and was a bit awkward..
    Unity is just straight up scripts. No messing around you can see whats going on without obstructions.
    So gamemaker may be best for learners. But I would argue its best for teaching bad habits, through drag and drop. Either way I don't like drag n drop features for coding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Thanks for the reply.

Unity and Game Maker were the ones I was considering, used both for a year each in college. Didn't do a single bit of Scripting using Game Maker (First year) and with Unity we only covered the basics using Javascript.

I also agree with you on Game Maker, wish we done some scripting on it might have brought out it's potential as opposed to the drag and drop system.

I'll send you a PM regarding your project, if you think I can help I would be willing to try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The scripting fit game maker is a doodle to learn and there's loads of online help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭megaten

If you want to code theirs and engine based on flixel called Phazer I think thats html5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

LibGDX, seems very good, code in java, target android, html, ios (through emulation I think) and desktop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement