Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving work due to stress/depression

Options
  • 13-05-2014 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have been working in the my workplace since the age of 16 I am now 24. It has always been a depressing environment and it has always been the reason for upset in my life. With the recession the hours have been cut yet the work remains the same. 5 or 6 hours work is expected to be done in and hour and a half to 2 hours.

It has become a very stressful environment to work in and you worry about every move you make just in case it is the wrong one. I am a very strong person so I have been able to deal with everything so far however lately (last few months)

I have been having restless nights sleep, headaches, nosebleeds, skipped periods, feeling alone even though I am with people among other things. I don't want to walk through the doors to work it makes me fret and cry beforehand. However I had my first panic attack on Sunday and I really feel like I need to leave for the sake of my health.

I have come to understand that I have to wait 9weeks for the dole to be accepted. I was told to go on the sick. What does that entail? I have loans/rent to pay so I need a source of income. Would this be the best route? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would you prefer a different line of work? Eight years of experience, and if asked, just say that you wanted a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Idiotwalkin12

the_syco wrote: »
    Would you prefer a different line of work? Eight years of experience, and if asked, just say that you wanted a change.

The work isn't the problem. It is more the people. The management. Thank you for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Really sorry to hear that. I've had the same issues due to depression. I left one job because I could barely function, things like memory, practicality, fatigue, constantly making small mistakes and experiencing low moods to the point where I couldnt bare being around anyone or do anything.

As far as I remember, going on sick works pretty quick and you'd probably get the money within a week or so. If you leave it may bring up other issues such as why, which may lead to the subject of you being sick and that could have an effect on what payment you might get.

But I would also discuss this with a senior member of staff that you can trust. Explain to them exactly what's going on and see what resolution could be reached. Speak with your GP and see if there is any avenue for you in this situation. You're not on your own in this, many folks are experiencing very similar problems like this. There's the option of councelling that might shed some light on some deep routed emotions that are obstructing your mental health.

There's also the depression forum here, have a scan through that and see if anything resonates.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Go to your gp and get a sick cert. Not a doctors letter - the proper dept social protection one. You won't get any money for your first 3 days off but you will be paid for each weekly cert you send in. You get your payments quicker if you post them directly to Dublin instead of your local SW office.

its illness benefit you'll be getting. If you've 8 years of stamps then you've more than enough for your full illness benefit.

that will give you enough time to recover from the emotional stress and look for another job. Its better than the dole. You do have to pick a cert up every week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I can only echo what livemusic and guitarzero have said, but here's my two cents.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I have suffered with depression and anxiety, which was exacerbated by my working environment. I was scared to quit because I had no other source of income, and didn't have enough SW contributions to get full sick pay. Not quitting when I first realised how serious things were was probably one of the stupidest things I ever did.

I would recommend you talk to your GP - bring someone with you, if you feel the need - I was so low when I first went that I could barely say anything. Talk to a friend or a family member. If you can, talk to your boss or a senior colleague - they might be able to help make things easier for you. Call Aware for advice, or Samaritans if you need an ear. Your GP will be able to put you in touch with counselling/support networks in your area, and give medication if needed.

Good luck hon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Talk to your GP, get off sick. You don't get paid for the first 5 or 6 days. Get whatever is wrong diagnosed, and find out the route cause. It may or may not be work, but if it is, don't talk to anyone in work about it until you have a clear head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Idiotwalkin12

Thank you all very much. I am going to the doctor today about it all. I am going to ask to be put on the sick get myself better but in the meantime search for another job. I can't work there one moment longer. Thank you all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Thank you all very much. I am going to the doctor today about it all. I am going to ask to be put on the sick get myself better but in the meantime search for another job. I can't work there one moment longer. Thank you all again.

Good decision, if you stay in such a place it will damage you for life, you don't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Good luck OP. Well done on taking yourself out of an unhappy situation! The most important thing in life is to be happy. Very best of luck in finding a new job. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Go to your gp and get a sick cert. Not a doctors letter - the proper dept social protection one. You won't get any money for your first 3 days off but you will be paid for each weekly cert you send in. You get your payments quicker if you post them directly to Dublin instead of your local SW office.

its illness benefit you'll be getting. If you've 8 years of stamps then you've more than enough for your full illness benefit.

Might seem like a silly question but is it permissable to work out a notice period and then go on illness benefit. Would you be entitled to illness benefit if you effectively quit your job due to severe stress?

• Advertisement
Advertisement