Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Toronto

Options
  • 13-05-2014 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wherebouts you looking to live? Am wrecking my head looking for places at the mo, they're all either crazy expensive, female only, or a shoebox. I did find a place that would have been a bit pricey but perfect and with no lease but it's gone, bah :mad:

Ideally I want something that at least has its own bathroom (willing to share though) decent internet, couldnt care less about tv. Has some transport nearby and doesnt have a long lease, prefer month to month but 4-6 months would be grand too.

I did see a hilarious ad on craigslist for a place rented out by a bunch of total hippies, who only flush the toilet when necessary, dont allow meat to be cooked in the house and were in to loads iof spiritual bullsh1t, I'd rather live on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

A month is the usual notice period. My experience with real estate agents is that they won't do anything for anyone looking to rent. There's no real commission in it for them so they can't be arsed.

Where are you looking at moving to? Did you say you're out by the beaches in another thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Deposit is just last months rent so just give your notice,don't pay the last months rent and Bob's your mothers brother.

• Advertisement

A month. You're best off doing it at the start/end of the month. That way you've got a month to sort out a new place. You know yourself it's way harder to pick somewhere up to move in mid month.

Best of luck with the apartment hunt!

I'd live in a nice one no bothers. Know lads who got flooded in theirs during the major storm last summer. I'd reckon not every basement floods though.

The way I look at it is, people wouldn't spend money doing them up if they were all getting flooded. Some will do but I doubt it's in the majority. Ask them has there ever been an issue with flooding. Look about for signs of mold/damp.

They'll all have heating so I wouldn't worry about being cold. They're so insulated it's probably nice and toasty in the winter and cool in the summer.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Would you not try to stay out the beaches direction now that the summer is nearly here?
    Seems to be plenty of places going around Kingston Road. Check out viewit.ca

So today i had two viewings in greenwood and st clair west....both same pruce size etc can anyone advise on what these two areas are like. I felt st clair west felt slightly unsafe?

Where on st Clair west? Never thought of it as rough myself.

I actually don't live far from there. There's two class parks for walks/jogging. One is Nelson Mandella park and the other one is Cedarvale. Both really near Vaughan road.

The Loblaws above St Clair West subway is enormous and the LCBO is downstairs. Some lovely restaurants and bars on St Clair also.

The stockyards mall just opened on St Clair. I've not been but have heard good things.

You're 15 mins from Dundas square by subway also. I'd go for it. Beats living out in the sticks.

It's a safe area. I've no bother leaving my girlfriend walk around there on her own at all hours.

I've never even seen a hit of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

I posted in the toronto thread too but if therrs any boardies heading to toronto in august -September interested in getting a house Or apartment share . Let me know could be a handy way of getting somewhere to stay . A little cheaper

• Advertisement

If someone could advise on this is would be great...Moving out tomorrow... paying Mays utilities but our roommates we are leaving are wanting us to cover Junes wifi/cable...can someone advise if this is right? We will not be using it we are already losing our deposit for june we are hardly expected to cover bills for a month we are not here

Don't pay it. Why would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Not a chance.Its fair enough having to take the hit on the deposit as you didnt give the required notice (Im guessing) but how would you possibly be expected to pay for utility bills incurred when your not even there. Sounds like you are living with some shower of chancers. Put the foot down. Not a hope will you be giving them anything more.

Advertisement