Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Etiquette for following a fashion blogger?!

• 13-05-2014 2:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭

I am a fan of several fashion and beauty blogs both Irish and those of bloggers abroad. For the most part, commenting on bloggers posts, requesting further info of bloggers, giving an honest critique, etc seem to be acceptable. However, there is an Irish fashion blogger I follow and find it difficult to know what the protocol as a follower entails. With said blogger, unless you "like" everything that is posted, or compliment everything or state your awe and admiration then your contribution is either deleted or ignored. A critique that is anything less than 100% positive or too much questioning is given zero tolerance. So I was just wondering, from other people following fashion blogs, what is the etiquette in relation to this area? Should a follower simply just follow and read the blogs,etc and never comment or question or is genuine interaction, healthy critique and an entitlement to express your own opinion on fashion not permissable? I don't follow blogs of any other areas (eg, sports, food,etc) so am not sure if hostility exists in other blogging realms. Blogging etiquette help anyone?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

In all honesty that blogger sounds like an asshole. I blog, and if someone disagrees with a post, or has a differing opinion I won't delete their comments, unless they're attacking me personally. But most bloggers know they aren't the final word, especially in fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

In all honesty that blogger sounds like an asshole. I blog, and if someone disagrees with a post, or has a differing opinion I won't delete their comments, unless they're attacking me personally. But most bloggers know they aren't the final word, especially in fashion.

Thanks baby and crumble. Oh I'm not talking about personal attacks on the blogger, just giving personal opinions or own viewpoint. It often feels like walking on egg shells in case you go against the blogger's own taste/style/opinion. (if you do, the delete button gets used anyway and then said blogger's army of devote admirers go straight on the attack!). I just don't want to be confusing a fashion/beauty blog with a fashion/beauty forum where maybe opinions and questions are more the norm. I'm always interested in new blogs also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

That blogger sounds like someone who's up their own backside to be honest.

Sosueme is similar, if you don't agree, praise them etc they aren't happy, but if its all "omg this blog is amazing" then you get the "thanks hun xxxx".

I can't stand those blogs where readers can't post comments that the blog authors don't like/agree with, I mean fair enough if someone is attacking the blogger or being nasty, snide etc then absolutely that shouldn't be tolerated but if someone is just posting a general comment disagreeing with opinion or something then I see nothing wrong with it.

That blogger sounds like someone who's up their own backside to be honest.

Sosueme is similar, if you don't agree, praise them etc they aren't happy, but if its all "omg this blog is amazing" then you get the "thanks hun xxxx".

I can't stand those blogs where readers can't post comments that the blog authors don't like/agree with, I mean fair enough if someone is attacking the blogger or being nasty, snide etc then absolutely that shouldn't be tolerated but if someone is just posting a general comment disagreeing with opinion or something then I see nothing wrong with it.

So I'm getting the vibe then that discussion/own views/opinions, etc generally are allowed in most fashion and beauty blogs then. Good to know as it seems very "crowd-following" & "blogger worshipping" to otherwise just follow the blog and never comment in an honest fashion.

Funny you should mention sosume.....

ratmouse wrote: »
    So I'm getting the vibe then that discussion/own views/opinions, etc generally are allowed in most fashion and beauty blogs then. Good to know as it seems very "crowd-following" & "blogger worshipping" to otherwise just follow the blog and never comment in an honest fashion.

Funny you should mention sosume.....
    Yeah I'd say most blogs are fine with comments that disagree with opinions, reviews, thoughts etc so long as the reader isn't being nasty etc.

I used SoSueMe as an example - that's the type of blog I dislike because if you disagree with them they aren't happy and their followers aren't happy, and you'll know about it.

There was a thread about SoSueMe a while ago and most posters shared the same opinion about it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say most blogs are fine with comments that disagree with opinions, reviews, thoughts etc so long as the reader isn't being nasty etc.

I used SoSueMe as an example - that's the type of blog I dislike because if you disagree with them they aren't happy and their followers aren't happy, and you'll know about it.

There was a thread about SoSueMe a while ago and most posters shared the same opinion about it.

Oh I agree, there's never need to be nasty. That's a completely different thing. I didn't realise there was already a thread, sorry about that! Just getting very frustrated and confused by the constant indirect insistence on "agree with everything and adore me or else be gone". No consideration given for the followers having their speak (if different from hers).

"agree with everything and adore me or else be gone". No consideration given for the followers having their speak (if different from hers).
    That's exactly what I hate too about some blogs. And SoSueMe is just like that.

This is the thread I was referring to:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057115882

And this is another thread about it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90053075

Had a read over those two threads Stripedboxers, thanks for that. Wow, that's interesting that so many people share the same sentiments, isn't it? There are so many excellent bloggers out there with a completely different approach, allowing views of others and who are well versed in writing articles in quite a professional manner. I'm surprised that she doesn't do more research into the art of written composition even, for the purpose of being on a level playing field with the other bloggers. I wonder where this whole "everybody agree with me, fawn over me, don't dare ever challenge me (or the attacking fans will be unleashed on you)" approach has stemmed from. Or is this a new type of blog with a new style of following?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I commented on this particular bloggers instagram page before not even a nasty comment just something along the lines of that wouldn't be my cup of tea kind of thing, anyway I forgot about it and a while later went to look on he page only to realise said blogger had blocked me! Couldn't believe it. I didn't even say anything bad! Anyone who disagrees or critiques this particular blogger gets accused of being a "hater" or "jealous".. I mean how pathetic! If it's not all compliments and fawning over them they don't want to know.

Oh the famous "haters" and "some people are so jealous" quotes! Especially if somebody has said something extremely innocuous. I genuinely don't get it and have never experience such tunnel vision blogging and following with any other fashion blogger. Blocked, really? I've had comments (completely inoffensive ones just to add) deleted before but blocking people for not being in agreement with everything that she posts is a total joke. I actually don't bother giving any feedback or comments now as,knowing the comments will be deleted, I see it as a waste of time. An example of a comment that would be posted and deleted or completely ignored - trying to come up with a good example, : recently she has been on holidays to Spain and all the clothes she wore were from River Island. She informed us for every outfit post that the clothes were River Island and even featured a photo of about 6 pairs of River Island shoes. Several followers simply asked if River Island sponsored her. This caused a huge and immediate backlash from other followers. The comments asking if she was sponsored actually got alot of likes though but then got deleted!! Completely erased! It often seems like some of the followers are just waiting for the opportunity to go off on one when someone goes outside the "I love everything about you" parameters! I mean it when I say I don't see this on any other fashion blog. I would ask if it's an Irish thing but I follow other Irish fashion bloggers and don't see such nonsense.

I'm glad to see, that from the responses to my original question, it is not just me who perhaps didn't know how one should contribute as a blog fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I used to read a very popular Irish beauty blog. One contributor wrote an article/tutorial with a make up artist showing him doing this very dramatic eye look - something that wouldn't look out of place on the catwalk but completely impractical for the average woman to do on a night out. The writer asked the readers would they recreate the look themselves. The first few comments said while they appreciated the look and the skill required to do it, it wasn't their cup of tea or practical for a night out. All the commenters were attacked by the writer and told they obviously couldn't appreciate the make up/fashion. Then cue a flood of comments about how it was great and the first commenters didn't have a clue!

Anyway if you can't handle constructive criticism or differing opinions either don't blog or disable comments altogether.

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I used to read a very popular Irish beauty blog. One contributor wrote an article/tutorial with a make up artist showing him doing this very dramatic eye look - something that wouldn't look out of place on the catwalk but completely impractical for the average woman to do on a night out. The writer asked the readers would they recreate the look themselves. The first few comments said while they appreciated the look and the skill required to do it, it wasn't their cup of tea or practical for a night out. All the commenters were attacked by the writer and told they obviously couldn't appreciate the make up/fashion. Then cue a flood of comments about how it was great and the first commenters didn't have a clue!

Anyway if you can't handle constructive criticism or differing opinions either don't blog or disable comments altogether.

Why ask followers would they recreate the make up look if the writer wasn't interested in their answers and opinions?! That's the same nonsense that I'm referring to. And I think you make an excellent point in saying that if the bloggers are not able to handle differing opinions, then they should disable the comment function (or else somehow come up with some magical application whereby the default comment setting is "agree with everything I post"!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

This kind of rubbish really gets me going. It's one of the problems about the web. There's no real quality control. Anyone can set up a blog and give out their opinions, but having a blog does NOT make you an expert in anything. I enjoy blogging, (granted in a rather niche subject!!!) but I don't think I'm an expert. There are way more people blogging that know more than me, and even when it gets down to it, blogs are opinion pieces, let's be honest. And fashion/ beauty is particularly subjective.

All this nonsense about blocking or attacking your readers for sharing an opinion that you ASKED FOR is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Blogging seems to be split between actual writing and then marketing yourself. A lot of the sewing blogs I used to love are now focusing on the marketing yourself side, which is a little unfortunate. I want to see pictures of clothes they've made and items they've created rather than see giveaway after giveaway, or see them review the books that a publisher has just given them. But then, if they didn't focus on marketing themselves, I'd probably never see them.

Fashion blogs are probably being used by companies in the same way. The problem is when a blogger spends too much time on promoting a brand, the original appeal of the blog is gone.

vitani wrote: »
    Blogging seems to be split between actual writing and then marketing yourself. A lot of the sewing blogs I used to love are now focusing on the marketing yourself side, which is a little unfortunate. I want to see pictures of clothes they've made and items they've created rather than see giveaway after giveaway, or see them review the books that a publisher has just given them. But then, if they didn't focus on marketing themselves, I'd probably never see them.

Fashion blogs are probably being used by companies in the same way. The problem is when a blogger spends too much time on promoting a brand, the original appeal of the blog is gone.

Yes, I hear what you're saying about the split. But surely a blogger can have both? Some marketing and their own views and ideas, no? I suppose another problem with too much marketing and brand promotion is the issue of whether the followers are getting a truly unbiased opinion of a brand or product. If the blogger is in receipt of heavy payment for promoting clothes or beauty products and they are bloggers who are not true to themselves or their original blog, then they hardly going to give a poor rating to the merchandise they are being sponsored to endorse. I think it's somewhat sad really. Alot of innocent folk, especially the youth, truly believe that the products the blogger is raving about genuinely are amazing and don't always see the glaringly obvious sponsorship that's going on. I notice with the blogger "buynow,blog later", that she gives a very honest opinion on all things she reviews. She's not afraid to speak out and give a resounding "no" to a tried and tested product despite said products often being big brand names that she could easily hook into a sponsorship deal with. You get a sense from Laura of buy now, blog later that she is "keeping it real" (also helps that she has a good grasp of the English language unlike some). And when she gives an item a thumbs up and us followers give our opinions or personal experiences of the same item/product,which may be contradictory to hers, there is no backlash from other angry followers or a spate of deleting executed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Here's my two cents as a blogger. I have a beauty blog and I get a lot of samples but also sink a lot of time and money into it also.

I don't review every sample sent to me or feel pressure to do so but at the start I would have and also looking back I'd say some of my first reviews were clouded by the sheer delight of getting a sample sent to me and I'm big enough to admit that! 2 1/2 years in I'm a far more discerning blogger and have no problem writing balanced or negative reviews or, as often happens, if a product is mediocre I won't feel any necessity to blog about it at all unless I've something worth saying. The majority of PR companies pr brands will understand a negative review but I'm sure I've pee'd off one or two over time, their loss!

In terms of blogging, it's just one person voicing their opinion. Something that works for them may not work for you but most bloggers put a lot of effort and time into reviews and try to give an honest account of a product.

Personally I put a huge amount of effort into blog posts and would hate anyone to dismiss my posts simply because there are often samples involved. I think your blog quickly loses credibility if you're a yes woman to everything and it's easy enough to spot them or blogs that literally feature a product without really reviewing it or giving an opinion.

Also yes there are some tricky bloggers out there, some on our shores, it's just like life, avoid the ones who you don't get on with!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Here's my two cents as a blogger. I have a beauty blog and I get a lot of samples but also sink a lot of time and money into it also.

I don't review every sample sent to me or feel pressure to do so but at the start I would have and also looking back I'd say some of my first reviews were clouded by the sheer delight of getting a sample sent to me and I'm big enough to admit that! 2 1/2 years in I'm a far more discerning blogger and have no problem writing balanced or negative reviews or, as often happens, if a product is mediocre I won't feel any necessity to blog about it at all unless I've something worth saying. The majority of PR companies pr brands will understand a negative review but I'm sure I've pee'd off one or two over time, their loss!

In terms of blogging, it's just one person voicing their opinion. Something that works for them may not work for you but most bloggers put a lot of effort and time into reviews and try to give an honest account of a product.

Personally I put a huge amount of effort into blog posts and would hate anyone to dismiss my posts simply because there are often samples involved. I think your blog quickly loses credibility if you're a yes woman to everything and it's easy enough to spot them or blogs that literally feature a product without really reviewing it or giving an opinion.

Also yes there are some tricky bloggers out there, some on our shores, it's just like life, avoid the ones who you don't get on with!

Nice to hear your views as an established blogger Smokeyeyes, thanks. You sound like you are very much your own person and have not sold your soul to being a"yes woman", fair play. No need for me to actively avoid original blogger anymore. I have seen been blocked from the page. For asking an innocuous question again it would appear! Oh well!

Nice to hear your views as an established blogger Smokeyeyes, thanks. You sound like you are very much your own person and have not sold your soul to being a"yes woman", fair play. No need for me to actively avoid original blogger anymore. I have seen been blocked from the page. For asking an innocuous question again it would appear! Oh well!

I'm actually dying to know who and what happened, have an hunch...

I'm actually dying to know who and what happened, have an hunch...

I'd say you should trust your hunch!! I couldn't even begin yo explain the particular photo i asked a question about. But genuinely, the question wad completely harmless and inoffensive.

Am dying to know who you're on about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I would expect that a blogger gets a certain amount of samples for free for review - most reviewers don't pay for the movies, books or records they review.

Is the expectation on bloggers that they need to buy everything they discuss?

As long as there's no lying I would've thought acknowledging samples was ok?

I would expect that a blogger gets a certain amount of samples for free for review - most reviewers don't pay for the movies, books or records they review.

Is the expectation on bloggers that they need to buy everything they discuss?

As long as there's no lying I would've thought acknowledging samples was ok?

I reckon bloggers get alot of free samples. This is something I don't have an issue with as long the reviews given are honest.

My issue with a certain blogger is, the act of removing, ignoring or blocking comments that don't agree with what said blogger is posting. All very self involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I can think of a blogger who behaves exactly as you're describing so I'm dying to know who your talking about it see if we're talking about the same person, any clues? :o

Does it rhyme with one two three?!

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I can think of a blogger who behaves exactly as you're describing so I'm dying to know who your talking about it see if we're talking about the same person, any clues? :o

You can be sure we're talking about the same one!

I get the impression that some of you are afraid to mention the name! So that's tip toeing around her even further!

I'm hazarding a guess that it is So Sue Me. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Probably not the first to be banned from the blog either!

I'm thinking of someone different...:D

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of someone different...:D

You're actually not Smokeyeyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Great thread.

As a beauty/lifestyle blogger of four years I've had my fair share of run ins with other bloggers I will admit I do find it a b!tchy profession.

When I started out writing silly life posts I wasn't aware of the etiquette of copyrighted images and I shared an image on my blog from Temptalia. The post was a wishlist of products that I wanted to get. Quite a popular Irish beauty blogger wrote a comment with a b!tchy remark insinuating that I was trying to pass off the work as my own which in first was ridiculous considering it was a wishlist so I wouldn't of had a picture of me with the product anyway because I didn't own it :confused::confused: Instead of offering advice to a starting out blogger it was like she was showing authority?!

Since then I have came along way but I have found that at some of the events some bloggers can be high and mighty and think they are better than others. I hated the feeling some bloggers (one in particular) made me feel when I went to these events so I stopped going to them. I couldn't care how much products I miss out on I will not let someone degrade me, I'd be happier blogging minus perks and be happy than be ridiculed by snobby bloggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

My God, the amount of passive-aggressive bitchy jibes on that blog about people who questioned why all of her outfits are from the exact same shop.
    She just happened to walk into the shop and just happened to LOVE everything there so bought an ENTIRE week's worth of clothes and several pairs of shoes which she then conveniently blogs about along with links to where to buy each item?

Does she think we came down with the last shower?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hey folks, I'm not trying to hamper discussion, but just want to note that a previous thread in the Fashion forum was closed a few weeks ago as it became a place to bitch about a certain blogger. It's not in the spirit of the forum, and we don't want this thread to go down the same route. It's a really interesting subject so let's keep on topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Great thread.

As a beauty/lifestyle blogger of four years I've had my fair share of run ins with other bloggers I will admit I do find it a b!tchy profession.

When I started out writing silly life posts I wasn't aware of the etiquette of copyrighted images and I shared an image on my blog from Temptalia. The post was a wishlist of products that I wanted to get. Quite a popular Irish beauty blogger wrote a comment with a b!tchy remark insinuating that I was trying to pass off the work as my own which in first was ridiculous considering it was a wishlist so I wouldn't of had a picture of me with the product anyway because I didn't own it :confused::confused: Instead of offering advice to a starting out blogger it was like she was showing authority?!

Since then I have came along way but I have found that at some of the events some bloggers can be high and mighty and think they are better than others. I hated the feeling some bloggers (one in particular) made me feel when I went to these events so I stopped going to them. I couldn't care how much products I miss out on I will not let someone degrade me, I'd be happier blogging minus perks and be happy than be ridiculed by snobby bloggers.

I have to say, your post kind of disappointed me! I always had it in my head that the Irish blogging community was quite friendly and welcoming. Everything I've experienced so far has been quite positive. I'm sorry that you were made feel like that, but fair play to you for just getting on with your own thing :)

I began my own beauty blog in the last few months, which thankfully seems to be growing in support and recently I received my first PR sample, which luckily I was really happy with. Blogging is something I hugely enjoy and I'd love to become more successful at it. I'm lucky that I haven't come up against any negativity so far, but I know it's only a matter of time. But if someone disagreed with something I said in a post, I'd take it on board and if they were nasty, I'd try not to let it get to me. I know that could be easier said than done though.

In general, I have far more respect for honest, down to earth bloggers like Buy Now, Blog Later. She tells it like it is, and has the kind of tone I'd like to convey in my own blog, to a certain extent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Would everyone agree that it's best practice to inform readers when something is a PR sample? I look at a looooot of blogs at work and I see that most bloggers note it or have a PR policy on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Twee. wrote: »
    Would everyone agree that it's best practice to inform readers when something is a PR sample? I look at a looooot of blogs at work and I see that most bloggers note it or have a PR policy on their site.

I agree, even mentioning that it was sent to them is enough. At least you know that it wasn't something they may not ordinarily have bought themselves. And if they're giving everything glowing reviews, you can take it with a pinch of salt!

Although, I have read a few posts where blogger's monthly/weekly 'favourites' seem to be 90% PR samples. While I'm glad they're disclosing the fact, it makes me wonder how much they actually liked the products, or whether they're cramming a tonne of samples into one post, saying how much they like them but not having to give a proper review on each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I have to say, your post kind of disappointed me! I always had it in my head that the Irish blogging community was quite friendly and welcoming. Everything I've experienced so far has been quite positive. I'm sorry that you were made feel like that, but fair play to you for just getting on with your own thing :)

I began my own beauty blog in the last few months, which thankfully seems to be growing in support and recently I received my first PR sample, which luckily I was really happy with. Blogging is something I hugely enjoy and I'd love to become more successful at it. I'm lucky that I haven't come up against any negativity so far, but I know it's only a matter of time. But if someone disagreed with something I said in a post, I'd take it on board and if they were nasty, I'd try not to let it get to me. I know that could be easier said than done though.

In general, I have far more respect for honest, down to earth bloggers like Buy Now, Blog Later. She tells it like it is, and has the kind of tone I'd like to convey in my own blog, to a certain extent.

I agree with you I like bloggers that I can relate to and that are down to Earth. Sorry about the bleak look I've had but when I think about it the blogger in question was actually a well known Irish fashion blogger. I've met my fair share of awesome beauty bloggers that make it worth it though so don't let my bad experiences change your perspective because it is such a fun community to be apart of :)

I agree with you there but I have seen people go OTT with their announcement of receiving PR samples. I was looking at a blog not long ago and they had some brand on it that I have never heard before and the whole article was "Such company sent me this" "After receiving this from" "I am delighted I got the chance to review this from" it was a headache of a post and to top it off they had a nearly a paragraph underneath the post in a text box explaining that they got it for free. It took away from the post and seemed like they were flashing it. The review was not great and told me nothing I needed to know.

*pr sample is all I put at the end in small print nowadays. I have a policy that states it in another part of the website explaining it better but I want the main review/posts focus on the content and not that I got something for free.

Currently making the big switch and getting proper hosting and in the process of designing the template :)

I agree I don't think you need to plaster the fact it's a sample all over a post, frankly I either trust the blog or I don't so whether it's a sample or not doesn't really matter to me it's usually implied or stated small and that's enough!

It genuinely makes no difference to a product I review now if I bought it or it was sent to me, the more I review the better I understand products so I do take my beady eye to everything as if I'm doing a job because I don't want to steer girls in the wrong direction! At the moment samples are a huge help to me personally because I don't have the money to buy a lot of beauty myself so it's a big help and then I get imaginative with the rest of my posts:)

I think as long as you give balanced, fair reviews you don't need to worry about how people perceive your posts but I hate when posts don't actually review a product just feature it or hype up a brand as if they're working for them rather than because they genuinely like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

There's a certain Irish beauty blog that also only let's positive comments attached to their posts. I understand deleting trolling or nasty comments, but I find it very frustrating that they only allow posters that agree 100%

There it's a lot non-beauty on the blog, fad diets, politics, abortion etc, which I think isn't really on if they're only allowing comments that agree with them, it's really unsettling

I totally agree with you Twee. Is there any big issue with a blogger getting free samples to showcase if they give an honest review of said products and as you say, tell people they are showcasing a brand? No, nothing wrong at all. But certain bloggers are intentionally trying not to disclose connections with companies that sponsor them in attempt to make it look like they are crazy about the brand/product and therefore giving an honest (unpaid for!) review. This type of angle is one thing and one thing only - a total insult to the blog followers and their intelligence to think that we cant see through this "staged" and "all of a sudden, out of no where" product adoration. Please! Give us some credit.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

Just a follow on from my original question in this thread. One my mates showed me a recent post on a blogger's page. There was a photo of the blogger's friend on her wedding day. The blogger had posted several photos ahead of this photo and some followers said that they couldn't wait to see the dress. So the blogger put up a photo of the bride's dress and says who the designer is (as you would expect from a fashion blogger). The blogger then proceeds to say something along the lines of don't say anything negative about my friend on her wedding day (not a direct quote but along those lines). Some followers pulled the blogger up on this saying that it's a fashion blog and if someone's opinion or negative comments are not wanted then the photo of the dress should not be posted. Of course an onslaught of abuse from defensive followed ensued.

So the same question as before, if this is a fashion and beauty blog, should people not be allowed to give their honest opinion on fashion & beauty items that are posted? Is posting a photo of a wedding dress and naming the designer but also putting up a comment asking for no negative comments not a bit prescriptive in terms of what the follower's views can be? Fair enough it's the blogger's friend who is the bride, but in that case, if you didn't want your friend's wedding dress to be subject to possible negative critique, would you not keep such photos for maybe your own personal Facebook page?

For the record, the dress in question was beautiful.

Hi folks,

Just a follow on from my original question in this thread. One my mates showed me a recent post on a blogger's page. There was a photo of the blogger's friend on her wedding day. The blogger had posted several photos ahead of this photo and some followers said that they couldn't wait to see the dress. So the blogger put up a photo of the bride's dress and says who the designer is (as you would expect from a fashion blogger). The blogger then proceeds to say something along the lines of don't say anything negative about my friend on her wedding day (not a direct quote but along those lines). Some followers pulled the blogger up on this saying that it's a fashion blog and if someone's opinion or negative comments are not wanted then the photo of the dress should not be posted. Of course an onslaught of abuse from defensive followed ensued.

So the same question as before, if this is a fashion and beauty blog, should people not be allowed to give their honest opinion on fashion & beauty items that are posted? Is posting a photo of a wedding dress and naming the designer but also putting up a comment asking for no negative comments not a bit prescriptive in terms of what the follower's views can be? Fair enough it's the blogger's friend who is the bride, but in that case, if you didn't want your friend's wedding dress to be subject to possible negative critique, would you not keep such photos for maybe your own personal Facebook page?

I just went snooping and found the post in question :)

Unless comments were deleted I didn't see any negative ones. A couple of people said the dress was beautiful but not their taste. That's not negative. No one said it was ugly or anything else deliberately mean or inflammatory.

I don't read that particular blog but from what I have seen it seems to be "agree with me or I will delete/block you". What's the point of that? I can't understand how it's so popular when it's more like a dictatorship than a community.

Unless comments were deleted I didn't see any negative ones. A couple of people said the dress was beautiful but not their taste. That's not negative. No one said it was ugly or anything else deliberately mean or inflammatory.

I don't read that particular blog but from what I have seen it seems to be "agree with me or I will delete/block you". What's the point of that? I can't understand how it's so popular when it's more like a dictatorship than a community.

Yes, myself or my mate couldn't find anything offensive or negative either apart from the couple of comments you mentioned. It's possible I suppose that maybe other comments were deleted. It just amused/puzzled me that followers were asked not to say anything negative about a designer wedding dress that was posted on a fashion blog., it seems to be a complete "only if you agree with me" type blog. Like you say, how is the following so large when honest (inoffensive might I add) participation is not welcome?

Would either of you be willing to PM me the blog in question? I'd be interested in reading the mentioned article.
    Hi folks,

Would either of you be willing to PM me the blog in question? I'd be interested in reading the mentioned article.

Pm sent

Let us know what you think if you have a read Stripedboxers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Pm sent

Would you be able to send it to me also?

Let us know what you think if you have a read Stripedboxers
    I've just had a look (and I didn't have a thorough look) although I did see the comment Sue left about no negative comments etc. and to be honest, its a bit ridiculous to put a photo up on social media and expect everyone to say "OMG she's stunning", "amazing dress" etc, everyone has a different opinion, and when you post photos publicly or put yourself in the public eye you can and should expect differing opinion, not everyone praising the bride or whoever.

That said, I Googled the bride in the photo and found her Instagram, and having looked at her photos, it seems she did a campaign/modelling for Wow Brown tan, so I am assuming she is a model herself, although it's possible I am wrong. However, if she is indeed a model, she should be well used to differing opinions and the fact that not everyone will praise her etc. I don't mean to be bitchy, but its basic knowledge and common sense that when you put yourself out there like those girls have done, then you should expect people to say they dislike your top, your hair and also expect people to say they like your dress, you have nice eyes etc. but to expect everyone to praise you 100% of the time and never ever say anything negative etc is just plain ridiculous and quite frankly, princess like behaviour in my opinion.

Also, on the day of this girls wedding, she spent most of it uploading photos to Instagram, and to be honest, I know very few people who would spend time posting any photos of themselves on one of the most important and special days of their lives uploading photos to social media, they are so busy celebrating and spending time chatting to and mingling with guests that they wouldn't have time to be on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter etc. I personally got the impression that the photos were put up to show off and to show everyone how great/amazing/special/out of the world their wedding is/was. Especially the photo and comment about transport change from a car to a helicopter to get to their reception. Maybe it was necessary, I don't know, but it just came across to me as showing off.

Apologies if I do cause offence or wind anyone up, its not my intention, its just my own opinion on the post/photos etc.
    Would you be able to send it to me also?
    I have PM'd you the link.

I've just had a look (and I didn't have a thorough look) although I did see the comment Sue left about no negative comments etc. and to be honest, its a bit ridiculous to put a photo up on social media and expect everyone to say "OMG she's stunning", "amazing dress" etc, everyone has a different opinion, and when you post photos publicly or put yourself in the public eye you can and should expect differing opinion, not everyone praising the bride or whoever.

That said, I Googled the bride in the photo and found her Instagram, and having looked at her photos, it seems she did a campaign/modelling for Wow Brown tan, so I am assuming she is a model herself, although it's possible I am wrong. However, if she is indeed a model, she should be well used to differing opinions and the fact that not everyone will praise her etc. I don't mean to be bitchy, but its basic knowledge and common sense that when you put yourself out there like those girls have done, then you should expect people to say they dislike your top, your hair and also expect people to say they like your dress, you have nice eyes etc. but to expect everyone to praise you 100% of the time and never ever say anything negative etc is just plain ridiculous and quite frankly, princess like behaviour in my opinion.

Also, on the day of this girls wedding, she spent most of it uploading photos to Instagram, and to be honest, I know very few people who would spend time posting any photos of themselves on one of the most important and special days of their lives uploading photos to social media, they are so busy celebrating and spending time chatting to and mingling with guests that they wouldn't have time to be on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter etc. I personally got the impression that the photos were put up to show off and to show everyone how great/amazing/special/out of the world their wedding is/was. Especially the photo and comment about transport change from a car to a helicopter to get to their reception. Maybe it was necessary, I don't know, but it just came across to me as showing off.

Apologies if I do cause offence or wind anyone up, its not my intention, its just my own opinion on the post/photos etc.

I have PM'd you the link.

After reading your post StripedBoxers, I googled the blogger's bride friend also and you're right! The bride clearly spent alot of the wedding day posting photos on Instagrm!! I ask you!! And yes, does appear to be in the public domain already as a model so would be well used to varying public opinions I'd imagine. This blogger is as clear as day purely running a blog page that is there for followers who want to agree fully with all the views, item reviews and style choices of said blogger. The blog appears to have no scope for deviating from these criterion.
    Surely the blogger would/should appreciate the comments and opinions of the followers even if not in full agreement with their own. Does such contribution not help the blogger to a degree and develop conversations amongst blog followers on their various respective opinions on fashion items or beauty products they themselves may have tried out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Maybe she's scared that if there's too many sensible negative comments, her army of fans might start to see her in a different light.

Can't get over the fact that someone apparently got a helicopter to their wedding reception.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement