Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

95% mortgages for FTBers - state backed!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If a government was serious about improving supply, it would institute a new minimum-storeys rule. Building in an area in the top 10% population density wise? Fifteen floors minimum. Top 20%? Twelve floors minimum. Building four-and five-storey apartment blocks right in the middle of Dublin is a pointless, destructive pissing away of all the potential value of the city's amenities.
    the absolute tripe they have put up in the docklands is appalling. awful architecturally, so boring and lacking in ambition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

This may not be a great idea, but maybe the Government should try to incentivise business to develop outside Dublin. Focus on infrastructure and incentives for job creation like tax brakes etc. In the long run I think it is a sensible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Noonan gave the game away when he said he wanted house prices to go higher, this is a way to achieving that end.

As other posters have said, they could have implemented a number of measures over the last 2 to 3 years to improve supply but did nothing.

Will all banks be forced into working this scheme, nationalised banks only?

The Govt has said it wants to help FTBs. Increasing house prices while reducing incomes isn't going to help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Idbatterim wrote: »
    awful architecturally, so boring and lacking in ambition...
    ...but practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

If a government was serious about improving supply, it would institute a new minimum-storeys rule. Building in an area in the top 10% population density wise? Fifteen floors minimum. Top 20%? Twelve floors minimum. Building four-and five-storey apartment blocks right in the middle of Dublin is a pointless, destructive pissing away of all the potential value of the city's amenities.
    I think we have to be grounded in where we are. The debate is not about people arguing between four storey blocks and fifteen storey blocks. The debate is usually about a semi-d in a surburb versus a self build in a random field. Increased housing density isn't adverted to at all. I haven't followed the story closely, but I suspect you'll find several politicians making noises about "family" homes, by which they mean semi-d's.
    This may not be a great idea, but maybe the Government should try to incentivise business to develop outside Dublin. Focus on infrastructure and incentives for job creation like tax brakes etc. In the long run I think it is a sensible idea.
    But, sure, we've been doing that for decades without much result. It's like what they say about the Upper Shannon Rural Renewal Scheme tax break. We built it. but they didn't come.

• Advertisement

That may be so, but then we need to know why they didn't come, and make an offer they can't refuse.

make an offer they can't refuse.
    You mean threaten FTBs with violence if they don't move West? Worked for Cromwell, I suppose.

Maybe that explains it. Since the Internet, Catholics know that they actually are allowed to move East of the Shannon again.

Hardly...

Hardly...
    I swear it's true. There's nearly 400,000 Catholics in Dublin City alone.

Check it for yourself:

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=CD756&PLanguage=0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

who_ru wrote: »
    Will all banks be forced into working this scheme, nationalised banks only?

You mean to say, of the four banks in Ireland that offer mortgages will only three have to offer this scheme? Does it even matter, we are never going to get competition in this market again. Just 3 Irish puppet banks and 1 English puppet bank continuing down the same path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Quote ;. The debate is usually about a semi-d in a surburb versus a self build in a random field. Increased housing density isn't adverted to at all.

end quote.

Well the government brought in rules recently,
    its now illegal to self build any house ,
    Unless you are a professional builder.

NOW you need a builder ,architect, project manager,and a load of documents signed by professionals.
    who all will charge you large fee,s.

A woman rang up joe duffy ,

Said under the new rules ,a 60 sq ft ,extension, build budget ,60k,
    will cost 30k in fees ,
    eg 90k in total.

Whereas 3 years ago ,it would cost 10 per cent in fees,
    mostly architects fee.

ITS unlikely she,ll go ahead with the extension.

2 years ago 90 per cent of homes built in mayo were self build units.

Advertisement