Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ Work Visa advise

Options
  • 13-05-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hey all,

Currently in Oz on a WHV. Finished my first 6 months here, so have to leave my current employers. (Pity, as i love it here and they love me...honest).

I work for Porsche and Bentley, and after a look around for similiar roles in Wester Australia, and over east (Sydney, Melbs), and even though a few dealerships want me, the 417 WHV is throwing them off. I dont blame them, its far from ideal.

I decided to check out NZ, and emailed a dealership today who seemed very keen from the off (I have 12 years experience with top brands), but i know little of NZs visa rules.

Can someone help advise, as the immigration website is nowhere near as clear as the Oz one.

It looks like im entitled to a WHV for NZ anyway, being 29 and from Ireland.
    But im more interested in a longer working visa.

If i have a firm job offer, even though my job is not on the skills list, does that help me? Its unclear. I went through the points test check and got 110 straight off.

Can anyone advise me please! And thanks. Il supply Tayto.....

alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

Over 100 views, and no reply.

Anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You won't have long left (I think the NZ WHV visa is until you're 30) so why not just get that and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

You can work for the full 12 months with a company in NZ, better than the six months in Oz. Try get in with them and if they like you they might be able to sort you out with a longer term visa since you have plenty of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

As long as you're in your 30th year.. i.e. you're not over 31 you're grand for a WHV.

In order to get an essential skills visa (this is the work visa) you need a job offer, on top of some other documents, but your employer needs to provide evidence that there's no kiwi's available to do the job. This is pretty much done by advertising the role and by going through Dept of soc development to check to see if they have anyone on their books. My employer were going to back me but they decided to go with a kiwi during the interview process. This kiwi ended up only sticking with them for about 3 weeks and left for another job. So they tried to get me to go down back down the work visa route but by that time I had already booked flights and had my visa sorted for Aussie so I stuck with that plan.

I have heard of IMNZ rejecting applications but it all comes down to how much of a case your employer will make to IMNZ in order to keep you.. As you deal with high end cars you might be alright as it seems like a bit of niche market

Advertisement