Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training with Power Meter

Options
  • 13-05-2014 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

i just picked up an SRM power meter and power control V unit (2nd hand) and was wondering if any boardsies can advise, A -- the best way to test so I can get my power zones and B -- best way to train with it, I have 15 weeks left to my 1st IM and want to get my cycling training up to speed (pardon the pun!)

oh and also, should the test be done on turbo or road?

thanks P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Pmaldini wrote: »
    i just picked up an SRM power meter and power control V unit (2nd hand) and was wondering if any boardsies can advise, A -- the best way to test so I can get my power zones and B -- best way to train with it, I have 15 weeks left to my 1st IM and want to get my cycling training up to speed (pardon the pun!)

thanks P.

Firstly just ride with it for a week, get used to the buttons and combinations of buttons. Which does the zero offset, which resets the unit. Important to learn as a mid ride zero offset can clear ride data (until uploaded) if you do the wrong ones, which is annoying.

Secondly - whats the battery history for the SRMs? Both the PM and the PCV? When were they both last changed?

Next the testing -
    10 minutes warm up,
    #5x(30sec build, 30sec easy),
    5 minute ALL OUT TT,
    10 easy,
    20 minute ALL OUT TT.
    5+ spin down

Its important that the 5 minute test is committed to. Its also important to note that your first test will be junk. You will go too hard or too easy. So its really two tests a week apart first time around.

Next there is the multipler for the 20 minute test. AT BEST its 0.95, For most closer to 0.9, for you - only time will tell (or a T60).

After that use something like golden cheetah to calculate your zones.

SRMWin is good and all and really is the source of all truth for SRM data. GC provides a little more on top of it and is free.

Note when you are uploading data only ever use SRMWin, Trainingpeaks DeviceAgent and similar skew the data.

IM pacing and training can be hugely influenced by correct use of a PM. Personally I would go test, and then post back here with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

thanks P.

Hey, I have "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" if you want to borrow it,

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

tunney wrote: »
    Firstly just ride with it for a week, get used to the buttons and combinations of buttons. Which does the zero offset, which resets the unit. Important to learn as a mid ride zero offset can clear ride data (until uploaded) if you do the wrong ones, which is annoying.

Secondly - whats the battery history for the SRMs? Both the PM and the PCV? When were they both last changed?

Next the testing -
    10 minutes warm up,
    #5x(30sec build, 30sec easy),
    5 minute ALL OUT TT,
    10 easy,
    20 minute ALL OUT TT.
    5+ spin down

Its important that the 5 minute test is committed to. Its also important to note that your first test will be junk. You will go too hard or too easy. So its really two tests a week apart first time around.

Next there is the multipler for the 20 minute test. AT BEST its 0.95, For most closer to 0.9, for you - only time will tell (or a T60).

After that use something like golden cheetah to calculate your zones.

SRMWin is good and all and really is the source of all truth for SRM data. GC provides a little more on top of it and is free.

Note when you are uploading data only ever use SRMWin, Trainingpeaks DeviceAgent and similar skew the data.

IM pacing and training can be hugely influenced by correct use of a PM. Personally I would go test, and then post back here with results.

Thank you Tunney,

I believe the batteries in both units were changed recently, I think there is a way of checking this so I will check to be sure,

should I do the test on my turbo?

why would my multiplier be .9 instead of .95? I notice most people seem to use .95 on the FTP test Log

when you say T60, do you mean doing a 60min tt and check the ap after that? and if so would I do this instead of 5/20min test or both?

sorry for all the questions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

BennyMul wrote: »
    Hey, I have "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" if you want to borrow it,

Cheers Mr Mul, i'll take you up on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Use a turbo - its dangerous to push that hard on a road bike (you may not notice traffic and collapse/get sick after!) and not practical in any event.

The multiplier (0.95) is an estimation - not everyone can hold 0.95 of their 20 min power for 1 hour. The only flawless way is a 60 min TT but the recovery period from that is greater than the 20 min test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thank you Tunney,

I believe the batteries in both units were changed recently, I think there is a way of checking this so I will check to be sure,

Good
    should I do the test on my turbo?

I always would as its repeatable but others wouldn't (repeatable in terms of temperature etc)
    why would my multiplier be .9 instead of .95? I notice most people seem to use .95 on the FTP test Log
    Cause they want a bigger number.
    Why would yours be lower? Not saying it is, just saying that to determine zones the best you need to get a good multipler. But that can only be learnt over time.
    when you say T60, do you mean doing a 60min tt and check the ap after that? and if so would I do this instead of 5/20min test or both?

sorry for all the questions:)

I'd not do a T60, have done them but would be a rare thing. do the 5/20 and go with 0.95 for a while but no shame in revising the multiplier.

Advertisement