Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comforting a lone dog

• 13-05-2014 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

This morning around 6am my beloved Holly (11 year old Boxer) passed away in her sleep, after having a seizure last night and remaining very weak after it, to say I'm a bit distraught would be an understatement.

It now leaves our Jack Russell by himself which he is not used to. I just wanted to ask what's the best thing in terms of keeping him ok? I know it sounds a bit mental but I'm assuming in this situation a dog can become anxious among other things. Many thanks for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Keep up the routine; dogs (and cats) thrive on routine and your best support is to keep it up. Walked at the same time, fed at the same time, taken to the park etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

EazyD wrote: »
    This morning around 6am my beloved Holly (11 year old Boxer) passed away in her sleep, after having a seizure last night and remaining very weak after it, to say I'm a bit distraught would be an understatement.

It now leaves our Jack Russell by himself which he is not used to. I just wanted to ask what's the best thing in terms of keeping him ok? I know it sounds a bit mental but I'm assuming in this situation a dog can become anxious among other things. Many thanks for any help

OP so sorry for your loss... I can only imagine what you are going through and i dread the day i will be faced with this with my guy.

Nody is right keep you the routine, dogs thrive on routine... and lots of cuddles thats all you can do Im afraid....

take care of youself x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Thanks guys, I had her since childhood so it's a lot of emotions surfacing in a short space of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

EazyD so sorry for your loss. I am a huge boxer fan so know what a big gap holly is going to leave. At least you can take comfort she passed quickly without pain.
    When I lost one of my dogs, I tried to keep things as normal as possible with a lot more hug time thrown in, your remaining dog will be chuffed it's getting so much attention. Take care of yourself

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

So sorry for your loss. We've been in the same situation here, we lost Rusty 2 weeks ago leaving our jrtx by herself.

She still isn't herself, however she is loving the extra attention that she's getting! Today was the first time I was able to take her out for a road walk since rusty passed. I think that as the others have posted, routine is key.

We are thinking of getting another dog as company but that won't be straight away. So we are trying to keep things as normal as possible for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

sorry to hear about your beloved dog. How lucky were you and she though that she passed away in her sleep in her bed/home. Pamper/spoil your little JRT - it will help you too.

Advertisement