Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how?!

Options
  • 13-05-2014 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

I've had a morning from hell... My 13 month old is teething which I've given him all I can for it. He's up an hour and a half from his nap managed to get him to eat toast. Massive effort though. He won't drink during the day at all. Doesn't matter what I do. He's now an hour screaming to which ignoring ain't working he wants me to carry him which I can't as his 3 week old sister needs feeding and winding etc. So what should I do with him she's not getting proper sleep either.

All weekend I tried given him something to do so on but doesn't work. Least at weekends he has dad here too so he can help me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

Cal gel rubbed into a dodie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I've tried everything there is nothing works. There's no tears just screaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Calpol/nurofen? A damp face cloth put in the fridge gives them some relief. Teetha never did anything for mine so it was always the hard stuff. Every 4 hours.

He's not long enough after calpol for more just yet. Tried anything cold that I could but he won't sit still. Won't let me near his face on a normal day let alone today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Does he have a temperature?

• Advertisement

Nope none just ratty we can see the tooth it just hasn't popped yet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can ask your pharmacist. I know we were told we could alternate between capol and neurofen every few hours, but recommendations have been changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Put them in pram and go for a walk outside? I found the fresh air and motion of a walk always calmed my fella down...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You can ask your pharmacist. I know we were told we could alternate between capol and neurofen every few hours, but recommendations have been changed.

My GP told me fairly recently that I could alternate calpol and neurofen, but that was for a viral infection rather than teething.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Have you tried the frozen chew toys that they sell? My young lad used to gnaw on them for hours when he was teething.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Nurofen is way better than Calpol for serious teething, and as Das Kitty has said you can alternate Nurofen and Calpol faster as they have different active ingredients. Just don't do it for too long, as with all medicines for children. To get to the relief, both my kids react well to Dentinox, Calgel did very little for our first. You'll need to buy it from a UK online pharmacy though, they don't carry it over here.

Teetha is just powdered water, you might as well just give them a handful of sand to chew, it'll provide the same relief.

EDIT: Yes, the frozen toys are a good alternative to Dentinox. I'd put them on a par with Calgel.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,626 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Would the music playing idea demonstrated in this video work:

http://youtu.be/L3ebYaa4b2M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

You can also get nurofen suppositories... They work faster than the oral medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

The odd time if my fella gets really upset & he's out of sorts with something like that, I find putting him in front of a cartoon he really likes will calm him down. I'm not a huge tv advocate but sometimes it's so handy if they are really wound up and you've a newborn to tend to.

I bet once this tooth pops he'll be like a different child... til the next one comes along!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yep swap between the 2 medicines, frozen face clothes, New ones.

a sling for him do he is up all the time and ring your friends and get them over, just for your sanity.

home you get some sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yep swap between the 2 medicines, frozen face clothes, New ones.

a sling for him do he is up all the time and ring your friends and get them over, just for your sanity.

home you get some sleep tonight.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd ask in a pharmacist - ask a pharmacist rather than counter staff. They will know what meds can be taken alternately, rather than guessing. And they may be able to suggest something that none of here has thought of that could provide relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Guys, remember the no medical advice rule. Unfortunately telling people to alternate medicines can come underneath that rule. Please ask your pharmacist or doctor before you do anything like this too as some medicines are not suitable (e.g. Nurofen cannot be taken by asthmatics). I'll leave the thread open, but lets stick to alternatives to medication like cold rags, ice cubes/lollies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Sligo1 wrote: »
    You can also get nurofen suppositories... They work faster than the oral medication.

Bam, there ya go, suppositories! Always find them better than the medicines when in need.
    Anything chewy, grabbable etc, we used to use teething rings and anything that they could fit in the mouth but if the kid will not hold them its no good.

Easier said than done of course, but taking their minds off of it somehow, outside walk, activity etc ... ah, not so fond memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

January wrote: »
    [ice cubes/lollies etc.

actually an ice pop is a really good idea. I remember one of mine was like that, ratty, wouldn't drink etc and I gave him one of those fruit pastille icepops. It worked a treat.

• Advertisement

Thanks all went for a walk with the two and he's napping now.. Fingers crossed he wakes in good form last time he didn't. Now I'm dealing with an unhappy reflux suffering little woman

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Put some wedges of mango and melon in the freezer. Once frozen, sucking on them soothes the gums and are delicious.

Xdancer wrote: »
    Put some wedges of mango and melon in the freezer. Once frozen, sucking on them soothes the gums and are delicious.

This

we had these and the young lad loved them

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Pack-Fresh-Feeder-Colors/dp/B000GK5XY2

7135tgeKDVL._SL1500_.jpg

Think I seen them in Tesco.. But I know he'd wanna eat what was in it without sucking on it lol. He knows what he likes..

Think I seen them in Tesco.. But I know he'd wanna eat what was in it without sucking on it lol. He knows what he likes..

He can chew till his hearts content lol that's the idea behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

try the teetha granuales..i think that's what they are called u get them in chemist or health shop..teetha also have a teething gel..also found the wet cold cloth helps..my 5 mth old just starting to get first teeth now, hadn't much problem with first guy hopefully she will be same..Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

You can get glycerine and aniseed syrup for dipping dummy in and is good for settling the fretful moments without any hardcore medicine. I have no teeth yet but waiting for them and the teething is not fun. Looks like a few are coming together too so we're in for a long painful road.

Advertisement