Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat flea bite?

• 13-05-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi

I have a 9 month old tabby who goes out during the day and comes home and sleeps in my bed at night. He is a complete purrball and very docile but hard to know what he's doing outside.

I've noticed about a week ago, both myself and my partner got a couple red bite looking rash on our arms and legs. I have 3 and he has 5. They were quite itchy and got a bit scabby at the end and now I have a little red spot after the scab is gone. It's been almost a week and it looks like it is healing but I'm just wondering whether we got these from the cat.

We have no bugs or insects in the house as far as we know and the only thing we can think of is the cat flea bite. Has anybody experienced these?

We deworm the cat every month and also give him flea treatment just in case every 50-60 days. We also bathe the cat every 3 weeks.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've had a few flea bites before from working in the vets, they're irritating but the cat flea won't actually infest a human so they bite and hop off. To check if the cat has fleas, look through his fur for any little black specks that could be moving or else flea dirt. You can also brush him through with a fine tooth comb to check. Keep up with the flea treatments, but as well as treating him you will also have to treat the house because fleas thrive in a warm home space, you can get flea bombs from your vets to treat the house, wash all his bedding at a really high temperature to kill off any fleas that could be living there, hoover the entire place to within an inch or it's life! I'm lucky in that my guys have never actually gotten a flea infestation, but the bites are really annoying! I actually found putting aloe vera on them really relieved the itching, whatever you do don't scratch!! I still have a scar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭gigglemuch82

Thanks SillyMangoX. My cat doesn't have any peppery specks or anything that I would consider fleas. In fact, he is very clean and I make sure to give him a bath once in a while just cuz he hangs around outside and comes home to sleep every evening. He doesn't scratch himself much either - he grooms himself and then happily falls asleep when he's inside or just sits at the window and looks out at the world go by.

I haven't gotten anything since then my boyfriend got more spots (that seems to be the same kind of bites but not itchy) the other night.

Would it be worthwhile to take him to the vets to see if they can see he has fleas? Or would that be a total waste of money as I don't really think he has them.

Advertisement