Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbrittain road signs changed to "Britt"

Options
  • 13-05-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why all the road signs to Killbrittain have been changed to say "Britt"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Maybe the time for Killing is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

donalh087 wrote: »
    Maybe the time for Killing is gone?

No Kids are still Killing Time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

No Kids are still Killing Time

These were not done by kids. There are printed signs over the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

2iwaxxu.jpg

This is the sign.
    On close on-site examination the following can be discerned:
    The words 'Droichead na Bandon / BANDON ' were on the metal first day.
    This was covered (presumably by Co Council) by an adhesive plastic sign as seen above, changing the destination (Bandon is 9km beyond Kilbrittain and is reached via the R603).
    The first and last three letters of KILBRITTAIN have been lightly painted over with white paint in a manner which is certainly not an official act.
    Don't know why.

Must say that, until I got out of the car, I had always thought that it was case that a slightly transparent and very professional 'BRITT' sticker had been placed over the original name and was as bemused as the OP

Cill Bhriotáin is said to mean the church of the Welsh saint (An Bhreatain or Breatain Beag = Wales)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Think it was some sort of alteration by the council, rather than replace the entire sign, and some of the letters on the sticker faded?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

Think it was some sort of alteration by the council, rather than replace the entire sign, and some of the letters on the sticker faded?
    it looks like white paint to me as its also dripped down as you can see the drips on the c i a below.

hold on CIA have paint on them, this is begining to look like a conspiracy theory, break out the foil hats lads :D

looks like vandalism to me

Sunhill wrote: »
    Cill Bhriotáin is said to mean the church of the Welsh saint (An Bhreatain or Breatain Beag = Wales)
    online search says "Britton's Church"
    the brittons were the celt people of england/wales, before the roman invasion. the brttons covered all of the uk bar scotland which was the pict lands.
    many brittons left england during the 5th century due to anglo saxons, and before that due to romans.
    if they made it to france and spain i cant see why they wouldnt come to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

There very few indigenous Irish people living in west cork nowadays. Most of the rural villages like Killbrittan are populated by English people who escaped from the rat race in their own country. Perhaps some bright spark decided to highlight this silent invasion in a humorous way;-)

It was definitely white paint, saw it and touched it.
    I say 'was' because the whole thing has been removed and a completely new set of signs installed very recently.

1i1qvt.jpg

... watch this space, though, in case there's any more white paint left in that tin.icon10.png

BTW: The wavy white line on the R600 sign signifies that this road is on the 'Wild Atlantic Way', a Bord Failte designation of the coastal roads from Kinsale to Malin head. The '(N)' probably means Section N of this route; BF website speaks of sections, but they are not marked in the online route map. It could mean 'northbound', though the route goes due West for more than 100 Km at this point, but 'northbound' in the sense of the 'south to north' direction as opposed to 'north to south'. (I lose sleep worrying about these kinds of details!)

• Advertisement

The '(N)' probably means Section N of this route; BF website speaks of sections, but they are not marked in the online route map.[/QUOTE]

The N just mean North. All the WAW signs are marked North or South basically showing if you are driving up or down the route.

Thanks, bailmeout. Had added the Edit before I read your thread. I'll be able to sleep tonight now.

Sunhill wrote: »
    Thanks, bailmeout. Had added the Edit before I read your thread. I'll be able to sleep tonight now.

We now need to get a web cam on that nice new sign to see if the 'Britt Bandits' strike again.

n definatly signifys north, by me we have both n and s signs, the signs are so big though that a couple of them down here have been hit and are now bent and facing the wrong way :D

Advertisement