Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repainting interior wall - whose responsibility?

Options
  • 13-05-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

First off, I should point out that this is in the UK, in case that makes any difference to legalities etc.

I've been renting a house for the last seven months and am due to move out on Saturday.
    The front room is damp and has visible signs of damp which I pointed out to the landlord when I moved in. The chimney runs through this room, but the fireplace has been sealed up. I rarely ever use this room, but on one occasion at around Easter I had guests over and one of them rubbed the back of a swivel chair (if that makes sense) against the wall and left a black mark (removable with water and elbow grease) but also knocked a small patch of paint off the wall. The paint on the wall is slightly "bubbly" and chipped with damp elsewhere, but I felt that I was responsible for this particular white mark on the wall, so I went to the local Homebase and bought three different yellow tester tins to try to patch up the mark.
    Of course, I couldn't find the exact match or mixture, so a week ago I emailed the letting agency.

"Hi,

I was wondering if you might happen to know what "colour"/brand of yellow paint is on the walls of the sitting room in 472 Harborne Park Road? There is a mark on the wall, and I have been trying to find an appropriate paint to fix it, but to no avail...

regards,
    "

And this morning (irritatingly almost a week later, despite previous prompt responses) I received this email

"

In regards to the paint, please can you find the nearest paint colour match. I would suggest taking a clear photo and taking it to B&Q, they are able to create the paint colour. I have also attached a photo of the wall for your reference.

The whole part of the wall/chimney breast will need to be repainted yellow, I can ask my contractor SAB Maintenance to provide you with a free quotation for the wall to be professionally painted? Should you wish to re-paint the wall that is fine.

"

I'm moving out on Saturday - I don't have time to go to B&Q etc and then paint the wall.
    I suppose it's possible that it's impossible to simply "patch up" the wall and leave it looking perfect without redoing the whole face, but if that's the case, they would have had to repaint the entire wall anyway, given other cracks etc.
    I'll just feel a bit hard-done-by if I have to pay for the paint and labour for the entire chimney breast...

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

That would be wear and tear in my eyes given the paint surface is effected by damp and already bubbling.

But is damage caused as a direct result of your/guests actions so you can see that point too.

I would reply saying due to the damp and paint bubbling the paint is very easily coming off so is wear an tear.

It doesn't matter if you have time to fix something if you are cause of the damage so I wouldn't bring it up.

Advertisement