Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account passwords on Win7

• 13-05-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

Have my Win7 laptop 1 year and all that time I have had the same password for my (admin) account. Yet my wife (admin) has to change her password regularly.

Why is this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Must of been enabled somehow ?... Not something that would be accidentally enabled...clean machine ?

You can change the settings, in the start search menu, type: mmc run it, file > add snap in > double click Local Users..Finish > OK > Users > Wifeys Account > password never expires checkbox toggle ....close when finished,...no need to save console settings when prompted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Must of been enabled somehow ?... Not something that would be accidentally enabled...clean machine ?

You can change the settings, in the start search menu, type: mmc run it, file > add snap in > double click Local Users..Finish > OK > Users > Wifeys Account > password never expires checkbox toggle ....close when finished,...no need to save console settings when prompted.

Machine was the last demo model with W7 (home premium).

Tried your steps above, got as far as "double click Local Users..Finish", then get prompted that this action cannot be done on W7 home premium. I have to do it User Accounts in Control Panel but I cant see any option for "password never expires checkbox" under wifey account.

ah that would explain it maybe :)
    yes, HP edition is limited with some of its gui options/functionality.

Try this: in start again search wmic > right click and run as admin > paste in:
    UserAccount where PasswordExpires=TRUE set PasswordExpires=FALSE

..you might not be able paste directly into the command window, so right click anywhere in the window's title bar area and select paste :)

Did as requested.

Prompt returned

Update Property(s) of '\\LAPTOP\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_UserAccount.Domain="Laptop",Name="(wife name)"' <Y/N/?>?

I selected "y", return

Prompt return

Property(s) update successful.

Will reply if account requires a password change in the future, hopefully not.

Looks good to me :)

good luck !

• Advertisement

Cheers.

Advertisement