Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I stand with this problem

Options
  • 13-05-2014 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I bought a security camera system off Maplin about a year and a half ago.(need to check exactly).

The problem is, you couldnt access the menu all the time from the mouse controller or the remote control, so no access to what it records.

It was like this from the start, but it was on and off for a while, then it was never possible to access the menu, so after about 6 months I found the receipt and went back to them with the lot in the box and said I wanted to return the item.

They declined and sent it off to be checked (the HDD), when it returned they said they found nothing wrong with it.

I noticed now it is doing the same thing, at this point I dont want it repaired and it hasnt lasted a reasonable time. I want a replacement or my money back, where do I stand?
    I'll give them an opportunity to replace/refund, but based on how they responded initially, Im already thinking of going the small claims court route,

I have the receipt somewhere but I cant put my hand on it, I may not locate it, but they have a record of me attending with the problwm as I gave them my details previously.

What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

They'll be entitled to recheck the HDD to verify if a fault exists and if it's due to a product defect rather than other factors.

However the problem seems intermittent and not easily reproducible so you'll probably have difficulty convincing them that a problem really exists, especially after the previous examination showed up nothing. Maplin seem reasonable in their dealings with you so far so I recommend you make a video recording of the problem so you can show it to the seller in case they can't reproduce it.

It's too early to go to the SCC since you must exhaust the seller's complaints procedures first.

Bear in mind consumer rights only apply if you are an actual consumer, so if you bought the camera system for a business then you don't have that legal protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Its for personal use,
    I already gave them an opportunity to fix the issue, even though they did try fob me off initially.
    I will take a video of it.

I cant see how I have not exhausted their route, it was faulty, returned it to them, they claimed nothing was wrong with it, now the same problem has recurred.

I brought it to them not working correctly, they handed it back to me and it was working
    They claimed they found no fault but the entire thing was wiped, so it looks like they just formatted it, although they had no explanation what they did, I only found it was wiped when I returned home.

If thats all they are going to or can do, then it looks unreliable and I cant rely on formatting it to keep it working as how do I access recordings?

I'll offer them an opportunity to replace or refund, if they wont do that, then Im off to SCC, if it was a tv I cant see that the opinion would be the same if it was faulty, fixed and then back to the original fault.

Advertisement