Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next up .....

Options
  • 13-05-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Sherwood is gone. Will we finally get a stable long term manager or will we be back here again next year !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Sherwood is gone. Will we finally get a stable long term manager or will we be back here again next year !

I'm afraid we will. I'm still worried that moyes will get the job :(

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Levy is going to like that Southampton / Pochettino are getting lots of cash for players that cost very little.... I think this is why Poch. will get the job!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's a risk but I'd prefer him to Moyes

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

FdB or Rafa. Proven winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

leonards wrote: »
    Levy is going to like that Southampton / Pochettino are getting lots of cash for players that cost very little.... I think this is why Poch. will get the job!!!!

Don't think they've sold anyone for big money have they?

They'll probably make major losses on Osvaldo and Ramirez, their two biggest signings.

• Advertisement

Deisler wrote: »
    FdB or Rafa. Proven winners.

FdB unproven anywhere but Dutch league.

Rafa proven to be very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I like Pochettino and wouldn't be disappointed if we get him, he has Premier League experience and did really well with an OK Southampton team. One of my concerns is his reputation. Not exactly globally known and would need to get the big name players at Spurs onside fairly quickly. In terms of style, his teams are attractive and play a high-tempo game as a result of an intensive training schedule. Which leads to my second concern, as witnessed by Southampton, his high-tempo game can result in fatigue setting in later in the season.

De Boer would be more like AVB. He has his system, he has a plan and he has been successful in weaker leagues. He would have no problem holding on to our big name players, with his reputation from his playing days and his success in the Dutch league, I'm sure he would be given a fair crack at the whip by players, fans and board. My concern is that he is a lot like AVB in that he has 'a system', as great as it is, it could be worked out fairly quickly in the Premier League.... does he have a Plan B? What does he do if his system is sussed or not working?

If you asked me about Benitez a couple of weeks ago, I would have laughed and said 'no way am I having him at my club'.... but then I had a look at his CV... He's a stand-out applicant. Valencia (2 La Liga titles and UEFA Cup), Liverpool (FA Cup and Champions League), Inter (World Club Cup), Chelsea (Europa Cup) and Napoli (Coppa Italia). My concern, like most people, is his style of play. Though at what point do we get down off our high horse and say.... "what do we want.... Sizzle or steak?". One thing about Rafa is that he has a 'Plan B'. He can get the best out of his players and is tactically aware enough to change when something isn't working. One point of note, currently everyone is talking about how amazing Diego Simeone is for competing with Real and Barca.... I'm sure Rafa is saying, "come back to me when you've won La Liga twice with an unfashionable team."

They're my three favourite candidates. I put to the Spurs fan base now.... what do you want?

A nice style of play with potential for more?

A fashionable manager with a plan?

Or, success at all costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The tag that Benitez only plays boring football is unfair. I'd welcome him, as we might actually be in the running to actual win something for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    The tag that Benitez only plays boring football is unfair. I'd welcome him, as we might actually be in the running to actual win something for a change.

have to agree. Look at his CV- La Liga titles, Champions league, Uefa cup ....
    He has also just won the Italian cup and finished 3rd in the league getting Napoli the all important Champions league position for next season.
    Compare that win Pochettinos CV and its a no brainer.

De Boer is interesting but he has not experienced the Premier league before and may need time to settle ( something Mr Levy probably will not give him).

If Levy is going to take a risk on someone then Laudrup may be worth a punt. He actually won a trophy playing great football. Not sure what went wrong at Swansea (lots of Swans fans unhappy with his departure). They suffered badly this year with the injury to Michu and having to play in the Europa league. (at least now he knows the demands of both competitions and may not make the same mistakes again).
    He would be respected by the players at the club and has the name to attract future transfers ( something Pochettino could not bring).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

it pains me to say but benitez is the best choice in my opinion.

we need stability, stability and more stability - we had it for harry until he went a bit mad and look how well we did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

mickman wrote: »

we need stability, stability and more stability - we had it for harry until he went a bit mad and look how well we did

Have to agree. Benitez is the man with the experience simple as. Id say if anybody can, Benitez can...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

i would love FDB to be honest, it will prob be Pochettino but Rafa would win us something....

*knows moyes would be a on so many levels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Classic Spurs ITK from an hour ago....
    Just received a text, agent of a prominent Saints first team player told my mate this morning it will 100% be Poch, just compensation etc to be sorted.

Football is a professional game with big money involved. But for fans, it's just a game and it's about entertainment. I can't see why people don't want to be entertained. Good football entertains me. Trophy cabinets do not.

Admittedly, it would be great to have some success and to play the biggest teams in the biggest games, but only if it's the real Spurs that I fell in love with, playing with style and skill. Not some rebranded club playing negative, turgid, backs to the wall football.

Sugarlumps wrote: »

But he does only play boring football

mickman wrote: »

If we want stability then Moyes is the best man for the job.

Just to be clear: I don't want Moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Ormus wrote: »
    If we want stability then Moyes is the best man for the job.

Just to be clear: I don't want Moyes.

Moyes would bring stability for sure. Rafa would prob have a little more about him when it comes to winning a cup etc

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Why would Rafa Benitez leave a Champions League outfit for a team in the Europa League? It's not like they are a flash in the pan outfit either,they are a big club.
    It doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hammar wrote: »
    Why would Rafa Benitez leave a Champions League outfit for a team in the Europa League? It's not like they are a flash in the pan outfit either,they are a big club.
    It doesn't make sense to me.

Benitez would be the business but its hard to see him do the swap. Maybe he'd prefer to live in England? Maybe he can see potential in spurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

I think it's Benitez.D.L has to get a proven winner and he has to get this call right.Im not a huge fan of his style of play but the job he did at Chelsea under the circumstances took some doing.

Of all the managers he has the best record at winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I'll be shocked if Benitez gets it, doesn't seem like a Levy appointment. I think it'll be either Pochettino or De Boer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I'll be shocked if Benitez gets it, doesn't seem like a Levy appointment. I think it'll be either Pochettino or De Boer

sad to say you're probably right. Still at least it won;t be Moyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Hatch99 wrote: »

Pochettino seems nailed on at the moment, everything else has gone pretty quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

yiddo59 wrote: »
    sad to say you're probably right. Still at least it won;t be Moyes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmN40jZjrOY

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

... It might get a bit noisier once QPR 's season comes to a end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No way would benitez work with levy, he is a manager who likes alot of control he wouldn't be afforded at spurs.
    Thank ye ' re lucky stars if ye do manage to get him he is a top manager with a big cv.

He has a good project at napoli under a very supportive owner in De laurentis so don't know why he would consider spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I am underawed for the first time in quite a while at our candidates.

I think pochettino might be another flop. De Boer similar. Benitez would be the best pick of the bunch but his slightly different philosophy might attract more booing in the stands. Plus would he even want to come to Spurs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

irishmover wrote: »

I think pochettino might be another flop. De Boer similar. Benitez would be the best pick of the bunch but his slightly different philosophy might attract more booing in the stands. Plus would he even want to come to Spurs?

Benitez already said he'd welcome a move to Spurs. Round the time he started for Chelsea I read that he said he loves the premiership and the UK, has had a house in London even while not working here. We are the ideal club for him, a decent squad of players in need of some stability. He's now top of my list, he's the most qualified and has proven experience in the premiership and Europe. It may not be the nicest football, but it would be effective rock solid stuff, he's a good manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

irishmover wrote: »

I'd have to agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Winning the Dutch League 4 times in a row is akin to winning the Scottish PL 4 times in a row. FDB may be no better or worse than Neil Lennon for all we know.

Better pedigree as a player obviously with way more experience in terms of the leagues and cups he was in. He'd come with a better reputation too (justify or not) and would have some pulling power in terms of attracting players but as a coach he'd still be a considerable risk imo

Advertisement