Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next up .....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Winning the Dutch League 4 times in a row is akin to winning the Scottish PL 4 times in a row. FDB may be no better or worse than Neil Lennon for all we know.

Better pedigree as a player obviously with way more experience in terms of the leagues and cups he was in. He'd come with a better reputation too (justify or not) and would have some pulling power in terms of attracting players but as a coach he'd still be a considerable risk imo

the only comparison between the two is the standard of the leagues... how anyone can compare the two considering their background is astonishing imho. Lennon schooled at the likes of Crew and Leicester with De Boer brought up on the traditions of Ajax and Barca...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Benitez already said he'd welcome a move to Spurs. Round the time he started for Chelsea I read that he said he loves the premiership and the UK, has had a house in London even while not working here. We are the ideal club for him, a decent squad of players in need of some stability. He's now top of my list, he's the most qualified and has proven experience in the premiership and Europe. It may not be the nicest football, but it would be effective rock solid stuff, he's a good manager.

Good to know that he wants to come to Spurs. Now we just need the stands to not be full of booing if we're winning games 1-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

If Pochettino got us playing like Southampton, I'd love that.

He finished 8th with Southampton. Give him a bigger squad and some money to spend and who knows what he could achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

If Levy is going to take a risk on someone then Laudrup may be worth a punt. He actually won a trophy playing great football. Not sure what went wrong at Swansea (lots of Swans fans unhappy with his departure). They suffered badly this year with the injury to Michu and having to play in the Europa league. (at least now he knows the demands of both competitions and may not make the same mistakes again).
    He would be respected by the players at the club and has the name to attract future transfers ( something Pochettino could not bring).

No way will Levy even look at Ladrup. Did well in his first year but the acclaim went to his head. He thought he was Fergie and became way to hands off at Swansea. Spent most of his time sitting in the office and did very little coaching.
    Hopefully he'll learn from what happened there but just now I can't see him as the right man for Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I think I'd like De Boer or Benitez

We'll probabaly end up with Moyes (no compensation) which would be okay also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

We'll probabaly end up with Moyes (no compensation) which would be okay also.

Can't agree, not sure how moyes would in anyway improve us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Ormus wrote: »
    If Pochettino got us playing like Southampton, I'd love that.

He finished 8th with Southampton. Give him a bigger squad and some money to spend and who knows what he could achieve.

maybe but he was blessed with some real good players there. We dont know what he will be like with our class squad :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Dim Tim managed to beat Southampton twice, am I the only one who finds this slightly worrying?!

mickman wrote: »
    maybe but he was blessed with some real good players there. We dont know what he will be like with our class squad :-)

We clearly have better players at Spurs and more of them.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Dim Tim managed to beat Southampton twice, am I the only one who finds this slightly worrying?!

Why would that be worrying?

Southampton are a small club. We finished above them in the league. We'd be expected to beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Ormus wrote: »
    Why would that be worrying?

Southampton are a small club. We finished above them in the league. We'd be expected to beat them.

If Tim was so bad and our defence so poor surely Poccy and all his tactical nous and great young players should have went to town on us?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

We have a better squad and calibre of player than Southampton. Though even with that calibre of player, Tim couldn't get us anywhere near City, Liverpool or Chelsea.

While Pochettino beat City, Liverpool and Chelsea..... with a poorer squad than our Spurs squad.

More ITK on Pochettino from the Admin of Spurs Community;
    My mate is still convinced this is done all about the minor details. It has only come through an agent, but Poch has asked him to make sure his player signs nothing until we can make an offer. Now that might be a case that the agent has jumped the gun, but I certainly wouldnt bet against it now.

Could the player be Lalanna or Shaw or Clyne?

...or Lambert?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This sounds like Hoddle and Dean Richards all over again!! Let's hope if we're after one of their players that both last longer than the last time we raided Southampton!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

yiddo59 wrote: »
    No way will Levy even look at Ladrup. Did well in his first year but the acclaim went to his head. He thought he was Fergie and became way to hands off at Swansea. Spent most of his time sitting in the office and did very little coaching.
    Hopefully he'll learn from what happened there but just now I can't see him as the right man for Spurs.

If we are looking at someone like Pochettino I don't see a reason to dismiss Laudrup. He actually won a trophy, something our last few lauded managers failed to do. I think his Swansea side finished 9th (similar to Saints) and won a trophy playing great football. Pochettino seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment for some reason.

If we are looking at someone like Pochettino I don't see a reason to dismiss Laudrup. He actually won a trophy, something our last few lauded managers failed to do. I think his Swansea side finished 9th (similar to Saints) and won a trophy playing great football. Pochettino seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment for some reason.

Benitez for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Can't agree, not sure how moyes would in anyway improve us.

yes but he is the cheap option (suits Levy)

If Tim was so bad and our defence so poor surely Poccy and all his tactical nous and great young players should have went to town on us?!

But we finished ahead of them in the league, whoever said Spurs are worse than Southampton?

Sherwood's tactics were fine against weaker opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

the only comparison between the two is the standard of the leagues... how anyone can compare the two considering their background is astonishing imho. Lennon schooled at the likes of Crew and Leicester with De Boer brought up on the traditions of Ajax and Barca...

That was my point. Both have won similar second rate leagues but the idea of Lennon becoming spurs next manager is preposterous. Yet hiring FDB is considered a great idea by most. Myself included

I also went on to say FDB has a much better pedigree and experience as a player in terms of the leagues he played in the competitions he won as a player ???

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

That was my point. Both have won similar second rate leagues but the idea of Lennon becoming spurs next manager is preposterous. Yet hiring FDB is considered a great idea by most. Myself included

I also went on to say FDB has a much better pedigree and experience as a player in terms of the leagues he played in the competitions he won as a player ???

Look at seedorf at ac Milan... Great player. Won everything. Not doing great as a manager.... Great player does not mean great manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Huddlestone in the FA cup final tomorrow - looks like he has a better career after leaving spurs

Will our players ever see an FA cup final again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

mickman wrote: »
    Huddlestone in the FA cup final tomorrow - looks like he has a better career after leaving spurs

Will our players ever see an FA cup final again ?

Been injury free since going there also. When Hull and Arsenal met last in the league himself and Livermore controlled the game. Scoreline flattered Arsenal. Hull will get chances, just need to take them.

Winning the Dutch League 4 times in a row is akin to winning the Scottish PL 4 times in a row. FDB may be no better or worse than Neil Lennon for all we know.

In fairness to FDB, when he went in to the Ajax job Ajax had not won the league in 5 years. They were low on confidence and player quality, he turned it around and they've won the league every year for the four years since.

He did this while playing against PSV, Feyenoord, AZ and Twente all teams with recent champions league experience.

Neil Lennon only started winning leagues in Scotland when it became a one team league. His stiffest competition coming from Motherwell and Aberdeen.... not sure when each last played in the Champions League.

I hear that this article is fairly accurate, in terms of various people in he club's management want different people to replace TS...

http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.ie/2014/05/lewispochettino-vs-levybenitez-vs.html

Joe Lewis wants Pochettino

Daniel Levy wants Benitez

Franco Baldini wants De Boer

I hear that this article is fairly accurate, in terms of various people in he club's management want different people to replace TS...

http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.ie/2014/05/lewispochettino-vs-levybenitez-vs.html

For once I'm with Levy ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

yiddo59 wrote: »
    For once I'm with Levy ;).

So you weren't with him when he was signing those players last summer? Or signing Modric, Berbatov etc.. Announcing stadium plans. Recruiting Harry Redknapp and so on?

You've been against everything he's done from day one?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Well if we are gonna get Pochettino which is looking increasingly likely were gonna have to sign a pacy centre half cause he bases his play on a high defensive line. Dawson in that system will be a disaster verts if he's still around might do alright vlad is pacy but I'm still not sure about him and kaboul will more than likely be missing for a good chunk of the season going by his injury record. Are any of the Southampton CB's particularly pacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Been injury free since going there also. When Hull and Arsenal met last in the league himself and Livermore controlled the game. Scoreline flattered Arsenal. Hull will get chances, just need to take them.

Hull finished 16th! Arsenal won 3-0 in the game you refer to above!

The grass is not always greener everywhere else. Ridiculous to imply that Spurs would be stronger with Huddlestone & Livermore in the team.

irishmover wrote: »
    So you weren't with him when he was signing those players last summer? Or signing Modric, Berbatov etc.. Announcing stadium plans. Recruiting Harry Redknapp and so on?

You've been against everything he's done from day one?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lighten up man. It's just a phrase. Of course I'm not against everything he's done. Though I could go on and list all his cock ups but we have another thread for that :D
    For what it's worth I think Levy's been a good chairman but not a great one. (Better than Sugar) He's reached a glass ceiling and I'll be happy when he's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Martin567 wrote: »
    Hull finished 16th! Arsenal won 3-0 in the game you refer to above!

The grass is not always greener everywhere else. Ridiculous to imply that Spurs would be stronger with Huddlestone & Livermore in the team.

Yep.

Advertisement