Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kind of freaking out...

• 13-05-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

So I finally joined a gym yesterday. It's a really good one, close to where I live.

I've been training with a personal trainer at his own studio for 2 years...twice a week. Have toned up a good bit and have a (small) bit of muscle where muscle should be. Clothes fit better and I feel healthier.
    I'm 33. 6ft 2", weighing 80 kgs (just under 13 st).
    I have a decent diet - lots of protein, veg, good fats and keep the carbs low...no bread/chips/pasta....
    No junkfood and just drink alcohol one night at weekends. I know I don't eat enough though.
    I'm probably considered skinny by all accounts...and this is what I want to change.
    I'm just never that hungry.

The PT has become a bit of an extravagance to be honest. He probably counts me as regular income at this stage and I feel bad about finishing, but realistically I can't afford it anymore. He's a sound decent guy.

The sales/marketing guy at the gym said they'd come up with a training plan for me. I'm rather dubious about it....how generic are these plans?....like, is the same one used for everyone?

I'm nervous about starting. I'm sure some of you are going to say I'm just being paranoid, but yesterday on the tour the guys on the machines/weights all gawked as I walked through. They were all younger/bigger/stronger looking....It's quite intimidating...the whole etiquette of it all is a mystery...I don't want to become one of these equipment hogs I've read about here!
    I really just wanted the ground to swallow me up.

Plus I want to start running. I have a goal of being able to do 10km- I'll aim for 5km first! I've done no cardio at all for the last 2 years, and I realise as soon as I start I'm just going to get even skinnier. I need to up my carbs (right?) but to how much?

So yeah, those are the things I'm worried about. In summary - a decent training plan; being the 30-something skinny guy who hasn't a clue what to do in the weights area; getting even skinnier when starting cardio.

I am a bit worried, but I know I've got to cut the cord with the PT at some stage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This is where you go to work out what calroes you need and the kind of macro breakdown you're looking for:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

MyFitnessPal for recording what you eat and how much of it you eat and that gives you what you're eating so you can tweak what you eat in order to get the quantities and macros you need.

As for strength training, look into Stronglifts (5 x 5) or Starting Strength - they're tried and tested strength programmes for beginners and they're simple to follow.

As for cardio and it making you skinny, you won't get skinny if you eat enough.

People only glance over when someone is being shown around. They don't really care and they won't be watching what you do or don't lift. They mostly just think "Fair play". As for etiquette, it's governed by "Don't be a díck". If you can manage that in your normal life outside the gym, then the same principles apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

In summary - a decent training plan: Stronglifts or starting strength are grand. Any plan with the big 5/6 compound movements is fine - bench, press, squat, deadlift, pullups/rows.

being the 30-something skinny guy who hasn't a clue what to do in the weights area: Everyone starts somewhere, ask a trainer for advice on technique. You'll find that most people in the weights area will be only too happy to help out with spotting, advice, encouragement etc if you approach them when they are free.

getting even skinnier when starting cardio: eat more food, no other way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Hey fission,

Sorry to be blunt but you have being with a PT for 2 years and you don't know how to train?

What did he teach you and what did you do in the those two weekly sessions?

As for being worried about everyone else in the new gym sick the auld ear phones in and get stuck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Of course you felt a bit intimidated on your first tour of the gym, it's perfectly normal to feel that way when you try something new. The best thing you can do is try and get to the gym very early for your first few sessions. This will allow you to check out the gym without a massive crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fission

Thanks everyone for the comments.

So it's been a month so far and at this stage it feels like I was worried about nothing.
    The gym is a surreal place though...
    Took me while to figure out why everyone was just standing/sitting there looking around them killing time. I had never heard of resting between sets before...everyone is literally just killing time! I was oblivious that this was a thing.... I guess my PT was just into doing circuits all the time...

I started by going at different times and figuring out what times suited me...turns out 6-8:30 is the busiest time ever...slacking off majorly after that.

I'm on the treadmill 3 times a week, (gradually increasing running time over 30 minute period), and in the weights 3 times a week with one day off.
    The weights bit has free weights and machines. I had never used any machines before but I'm finding them useful - just handy really I guess. I'm not so sure if they are "better" than free weights though. They feel a bit unnatural.
    For e.g. I actually enjoy back squats, but I used the smith machine in there once and it just felt weird. So I'm avoiding that one.

I'd be interested to know what people think of what I'm spending my time on there. I generally spend 45 mins in there each morning. Gradually building up and going heavier if I can. Here is this last weeks routine...(12) = 12kgs

This week-
    Saturday: Treadmill - walking/running 30 mins and quick swim after.

Sunday:
    Dumbbell chest press (flat): 3 x10 x (12)(14)(14)kg
    Back squats: 3 x 10 x (60)
    Lat pulldowns:3 x 10 x (20)
    Machines 3 x 10 of:
    -Chest press- (20)(30)(30)
    -Pulley - (25)(30)(35)
    -Shoulder Press- (15)(20)(20)
    -Chest incline (25)(25)(25)

Monday: Treadmill - walking/running 30 mins

Tuesday:
    Chin-ups :3 x 5
    Hammer curls:3 x 10 x (12)
    Bent over rows:4 x 10 x (12)(16)(20)(20)
    Machines: 3 x 10 of
    -Chest press:(30)(35)(35)
    -Chest incline: (25)(30)(30)

Wednesday: Treadmill - walking/running 30 mins

Thursday : OFF

Friday:
    Weighted lunges(each leg): 3 x 10 x (12)
    Bent over rows: 3 x 10 x (20)(20)(22)
    Bulgarian split squat(each leg): 3 x 10 x (12)
    Goblet squats: 3 x 10 x (20)(24)(24)
    -Machine: Chest press 4 x10 x (35)(35)(40)(40)

I'm looking for advice on how to improve this. I realise there's probably a lot of criticism coming my way, but I'm just trying to figure it out really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Machines are not better than free weights. Smith machine is also useless for squatting - you were right to be sceptical so stay away from both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

fission wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

So it's been a month so far and at this stage it feels like I was worried about nothing.
    The gym is a surreal place though...
    Took me while to figure out why everyone was just standing/sitting there looking around them killing time. I had never heard of resting between sets before...everyone is literally just killing time! I was oblivious that this was a thing.... I guess my PT was just into doing circuits all the time...

I started by going at different times and figuring out what times suited me...turns out 6-8:30 is the busiest time ever...slacking off majorly after that.

I'm on the treadmill 3 times a week, (gradually increasing running time over 30 minute period), and in the weights 3 times a week with one day off.
    The weights bit has free weights and machines. I had never used any machines before but I'm finding them useful - just handy really I guess. I'm not so sure if they are "better" than free weights though. They feel a bit unnatural.
    For e.g. I actually enjoy back squats, but I used the smith machine in there once and it just felt weird. So I'm avoiding that one.

I'd be interested to know what people think of what I'm spending my time on there. I generally spend 45 mins in there each morning. Gradually building up and going heavier if I can. Here is this last weeks routine...(12) = 12kgs

This week-
    Saturday: Treadmill - walking/running 30 mins and quick swim after.

Sunday:
    Dumbbell chest press (flat): 3 x10 x (12)(14)(14)kg
    Back squats: 3 x 10 x (60)
    Lat pulldowns:3 x 10 x (20)
    Machines 3 x 10 of:
    -Chest press- (20)(30)(30)
    -Pulley - (25)(30)(35)
    -Shoulder Press- (15)(20)(20)
    -Chest incline (25)(25)(25)

Monday: Treadmill - walking/running 30 mins

Tuesday:
    Chin-ups :3 x 5
    Hammer curls:3 x 10 x (12)
    Bent over rows:4 x 10 x (12)(16)(20)(20)
    Machines: 3 x 10 of
    -Chest press:(30)(35)(35)
    -Chest incline: (25)(30)(30)

Wednesday: Treadmill - walking/running 30 mins

Thursday : OFF

Friday:
    Weighted lunges(each leg): 3 x 10 x (12)
    Bent over rows: 3 x 10 x (20)(20)(22)
    Bulgarian split squat(each leg): 3 x 10 x (12)
    Goblet squats: 3 x 10 x (20)(24)(24)
    -Machine: Chest press 4 x10 x (35)(35)(40)(40)

I'm looking for advice on how to improve this. I realise there's probably a lot of criticism coming my way, but I'm just trying to figure it out really.

I'm an advocate of few exercises and less than 8 reps. But for beginners the rep range you use is probably best, more reps means more work on technique and it's a lot easier for a beginner to up the weight on high reps. It's good to see you're doing full body 3 times a week and perhaps most important of all you're keeping track of what you're doing in the gym.

So, in my opinion...
    Good:
    Full body, 3 times a week
    At the upper range of a good rep scheme
    Keeping track of progress

Bad (not always bad just MY opinion)
    Too many exercises, the benefits you gain from the higher rep range (muscle memory, co-ordination, practise) are slightly hampered by all the exercises. I think you should pick 1 or 2 back/chest/leg/whatever exercises and stick at them. You will get more reps per exercise over the course of the week and it will be easier to add weight to each exercise.
    Diet, if you can/are comfortable with eating more, do it. When you are a beginner you have the most potential for adding muscle fast. A higher proportion of the calories you eat will go towards building muscle, simply because you are building more. I would add more carbs as they help most with exercise, are easy calories and taste nice. If you find yourself putting on flab you don't want cut back to your original diet for a while. You seem focused, motivated and in control of diet and exercise you should be well able to add calories without fear.

The good points far outweigh the bad, some people mightn't even consider the things I've mentioned as bad!

Trainers have a habit of overcomplicating things, if they told you 'Pick the least amount of exercises, that use the most amount muscle and don't eat like an anorexic or an obese person trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records' they wouldn't have many return clients as it really is that simple for beginners. They have to make it complicated so you want their 'expertise'.

Someone mentioned Stronglifts 5x5, a solid program that I've used myself but I really think a beginner should do it in a 8x4, 7x4, 6x4, 5x5 set up as the will progress faster ie keep adding weight to your 8x4 set up until you stall, then your 7x4 etc. I think, as it's set out, its benefits are largely due to exercise selection.

For a less strength based program it would seem that Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 would be a very good alternative. Well structured for the beginner, scientifically based and doesn't discourage accessory work like stronglifts, even setting out accessory work (I think).

PS. Solely based on the fact that you're a beginner and the numbers of I your other lifts I think you might want to keep an eye on your squat depth. If you're not planning on competing in powerlifting anytime soon, go as low as you can. Knees out and arse down.

Best of luck and keep it up!!

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I'm an advocate of few exercises and less than 8 reps. But for beginners the rep range you use is probably best, more reps means more work on technique and it's a lot easier for a beginner to up the weight on high reps. It's good to see you're doing full body 3 times a week and perhaps most important of all you're keeping track of what you're doing in the gym.

So, in my opinion...
    Good:
    Full body, 3 times a week
    At the upper range of a good rep scheme
    Keeping track of progress

Bad (not always bad just MY opinion)
    Too many exercises, the benefits you gain from the higher rep range (muscle memory, co-ordination, practise) are slightly hampered by all the exercises. I think you should pick 1 or 2 back/chest/leg/whatever exercises and stick at them. You will get more reps per exercise over the course of the week and it will be easier to add weight to each exercise.
    Diet, if you can/are comfortable with eating more, do it. When you are a beginner you have the most potential for adding muscle fast. A higher proportion of the calories you eat will go towards building muscle, simply because you are building more. I would add more carbs as they help most with exercise, are easy calories and taste nice. If you find yourself putting on flab you don't want cut back to your original diet for a while. You seem focused, motivated and in control of diet and exercise you should be well able to add calories without fear.

The good points far outweigh the bad, some people mightn't even consider the things I've mentioned as bad!

Trainers have a habit of overcomplicating things, if they told you 'Pick the least amount of exercises, that use the most amount muscle and don't eat like an anorexic or an obese person trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records' they wouldn't have many return clients as it really is that simple for beginners. They have to make it complicated so you want their 'expertise'.

Someone mentioned Stronglifts 5x5, a solid program that I've used myself but I really think a beginner should do it in a 8x4, 7x4, 6x4, 5x5 set up as the will progress faster ie keep adding weight to your 8x4 set up until you stall, then your 7x4 etc. I think, as it's set out, its benefits are largely due to exercise selection.

For a less strength based program it would seem that Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 would be a very good alternative. Well structured for the beginner, scientifically based and doesn't discourage accessory work like stronglifts, even setting out accessory work (I think).

PS. Solely based on the fact that you're a beginner and the numbers of I your other lifts I think you might want to keep an eye on your squat depth. If you're not planning on competing in powerlifting anytime soon, go as low as you can. Knees out and arse down.

Best of luck and keep it up!!

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    Call me crazy but did you even think to mention all this to your trainer and he/she could design a program for you to use in the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fission

Transform wrote: »
    Call me crazy but did you even think to mention all this to your trainer and he/she could design a program for you to use in the gym?

I won't call you crazy at all ;-)
    I told my PT I was going to take a break for a few months and he said he'd email me on a plan to follow. It's been over a month and still no program. I messaged him two weeks ago and he said he'd send it on the next day...still nothing.
    So yeah, hence the reason I'm trying to figure it out myself.

Advertisement