Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food flask recipe

• 13-05-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I bought a thermos food flask for work. I put in my lovely saucy pasta in and found, while it keep it really hot, the pasta soaked up all the sauce and was a stodgy mess :-( any suggestions beyond soup of food that works in food flasks? I presume pasta and probably rice are no good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any carb that you put in there will probably end up being stodge by the time you open it up.

However, if you replace pasta/rice/whatever with something else that you can get fresh (bread, wrap) or prepare when you wish to eat (instant noodles or the like).

Anything 'stewy' like chili, curry, bolognese, casseroles, etc will keep well in the flask. For such recipes - please check out The Cooking Club forum or the existing recipe threads in this forum.

tHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you had a second flask you might be able to store the rice or pasta separately with no additional moisture to be soaked up.

I used to make sandwiches but leave off the mayo, I had mayo in work that I would put on just before eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Thanks I'll look at for the stew recipes, it probably should have dawned on me pasta would Continue to cook in there. I wonder would you hear stew meat and sauce and add raw vegetables to the it ie so they don't go soggy? I presume 5 hours in a flash would cook them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cook the stew or whatever as normal. If you add raw vegetables they will still be raw, just warm & raw. The pasta didn't really continue cooking, it just absorbed additional liquid while in the flask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stew, chilli or anything meaty and wet like that would be perfect.
    Don't worry about overbooking, braised dishes like that are best with long slow cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you add raw vegetables they will still be raw, just warm & raw.
    If its hot enough it will cook, sous vide temps are very low, slow cookers are a bit higher. You would want to preheat the flask, I have cooked rice, potatoes & boiled eggs in a thermos flask before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_cooking#Vacuum_Cooker

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Cooker-Thermal-Insulated-Cooking/dp/B006H1TKYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400056703&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+cooker

Heston has a recipe for potatoes at 70C (starting out at 80C but the potatoes would cool it down)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pommepuree_74822

Smaller flasks of the same design will be less efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

rubadub wrote: »
    If its hot enough it will cook, sous vide temps are very low, slow cookers are a bit higher. You would want to preheat the flask, I have cooked rice, potatoes & boiled eggs in a thermos flask before.

Details please! I would love to give this a try while camping, for example. :)

Advertisement