Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen bikes

Options
  • 13-05-2014 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I have seen the stolen bike threads before but I wondered if anyone had an experience of getting their bike back or seeing it appear for sale.
    I had two bikes stolen from a locked vacant house beside where I live. One bike pretty good, the other an old mountain bike but in good condition.
    They left behind power tools so I am guessing just interested in bikes and must have an established path to market.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Id say its very unlikely you would get them back.
    However to give yourself the best chance just keep an eye on ebay, done deal etc.
    I assume you also reported it to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Check the pawn shops in town. Cash Convertors etc. My flatmate had his bike robbed and told the cops, they said to check the pawnshops and lo and behold, his bike was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Thanks for the replies.
    The police examined the scene after reporting but they said alot of bikes are being stolen at the moment and are not coming up for sale in Galway so may be broken into parts or shipped elsewhere in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Hubby had good bike stolen once. AGS actually found the guy as they had him in for something else and one of the lads recognised him from the CCTV.

He was a minor though so couldn't do a thing. Personally I think parents should be held financially responsible there.

But anyway, he was told back then a lot of bikes are leaving the country to East of Europe...

I went around all bike shops and pawn shops and I would say there certainly is a likelihood of stolen bikes showing up in the cash exchange places for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Not related to these guys(based out of Waterford)
    but I got this for my bikes:

Marking, Registration & Verification of Your Bicycle
    http://www.cyclesure.ie/index.php/about_us/register_your_bike/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GraphicGaming

Galwayps wrote: »
    I have seen the stolen bike threads before but I wondered if anyone had an experience of getting their bike back or seeing it appear for sale.
    I had two bikes stolen from a locked vacant house beside where I live. One bike pretty good, the other an old mountain bike but in good condition.
    They left behind power tools so I am guessing just interested in bikes and must have an established path to market.

im interested in this as my bike was stolen 2 months ago. but here is my scenario lets say i see my stolen bike with some one one it ! how what should i do ? as the person on it may not be the thief as the bike might have changed hands several times since it has been stolen, also i dont have much to prove the bike is mine just a few tell tales such as the mud gaurds the lights and 2 marks but explaining this to the gaurds sure i could be anyone really ! do i have a leg to stand on ? or should i cut my losses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Has anyone ever come across this site?

http://www.bikeregister.ie

I wonder do the guards check any of these "official" databases. It would be useful to know which ones they did check as registration is a simple, inexpensive preventative measure.

im interested in this as my bike was stolen 2 months ago. but here is my scenario lets say i see my stolen bike with some one one it ! how what should i do ? as the person on it may not be the thief as the bike might have changed hands several times since it has been stolen, also i dont have much to prove the bike is mine just a few tell tales such as the mud gaurds the lights and 2 marks but explaining this to the gaurds sure i could be anyone really ! do i have a leg to stand on ? or should i cut my losses

I retrieved one of my stolen bikes last week after spotting it cycling past . I followed on foot and spotted it parked - then cycled it home. I returned to meet new "owner"
    Long story short but they said they had got it from a friend who was leaving the country who they declined to name. I invited them to go to mill street garda with me but they were happy it was my bike.
    I found out where they worked and where they had got bike and passed to Garda but don't expect much.
    As I said in another post, I do not believe stolen bikes end up outside Galway. Most of it is low level crime with goods being sold quickly.
    Judging from where my bike was sold it would be my opinion it was passed through the hands of alcohol or drug addicts engaged in different types of theft.
    I got great advice from a bike store owner as regards legality. ave your statement to gardai about the theft with you and also a receipt if you have one and if you think it is your bike then take it and go to Gardai. Identify the bike as the one which is mentioned in statement.
    If they can prove its not and are credible then so be it but most people would not do this without being sure it is their bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

FYI I emailed the guards to see if they check any of the bike registration databases for bikes they recover.
    Good Morning

thank you for your email. I am not aware of any National Bike Register, I am aware that most bicycle shops when you buy a bike keep a register of then but An Garda Siochana do not have one.

Regards

Garda National Traffic Bureau
    Garda Headquaters

Shame, seems like such a easy and cost effective measure to implement. If it was maintained by the guards it would be pretty indisputable proof when confronting "new owners" as well as increasing the possibility of being notified if your bike was recovered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

You should have recorded the serial number that's found on the bottom of the bike. Some people also write their name on a piece of paper, roll it up and stick it inside the seat post or handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GraphicGaming

No Pants wrote: »
    You should have recorded the serial number that's found on the bottom of the bike. Some people also write their name on a piece of paper, roll it up and stick it inside the seat post of handlebars.

I have to say that is a good idea, its a pity i never thought of that i just didnt think my bike would be taken as i was careful where i locked it and was sure i double locked. thanks any way i will be doing this with the bike i have now thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gazza99

Galwayps wrote: »
    I retrieved one of my stolen bikes last week after spotting it cycling past . I followed on foot and spotted it parked - then cycled it home. I returned to meet new "owner"
    Long story short but they said they had got it from a friend who was leaving the country who they declined to name. I invited them to go to mill street garda with me but they were happy it was my bike.
    I found out where they worked and where they had got bike and passed to Garda but don't expect much.
    As I said in another post, I do not believe stolen bikes end up outside Galway. Most of it is low level crime with goods being sold quickly.
    Judging from where my bike was sold it would be my opinion it was passed through the hands of alcohol or drug addicts engaged in different types of theft.
    I got great advice from a bike store owner as regards legality. ave your statement to gardai about the theft with you and also a receipt if you have one and if you think it is your bike then take it and go to Gardai. Identify the bike as the one which is mentioned in statement.
    If they can prove its not and are credible then so be it but most people would not do this without being sure it is their bike.
    I no its a bit down the line but had my bike stole over the Christmas period from galway city also, would you like to mention what area you came across your bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Just a small piece of advice, if you have your bike in a shed, garage, etc keep it locked up in there too. Chances are you may have an old lock hanging around so use it. Even if they break the outside lock another lock is another deterrent.
    I have my bikes anchored to a bucket of concrete and all locked together most of the time. It may help me one day and you all too.
    Also never scrimp on cheap locks, the more you spend the better the lock.

gazza99 wrote: »
    I no its a bit down the line but had my bike stole over the Christmas period from galway city also, would you like to mention what area you came across your bike?

I came across the bike "back the West" by chance but by that stage I had driven around lots of areas of the City

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

Not related to these guys(based out of Waterford)
    but I got this for my bikes:

Marking, Registration & Verification of Your Bicycle
    http://www.cyclesure.ie/index.php/about_us/register_your_bike/

How much did that set you back?

Advertisement