Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KVM, cable lengths and cat5

Options
  • 13-05-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a little KVM advice.

I've got 2 PCs in one room, and another across the hallway.
    All 3 take DVI, 1 takes HDMI, PC across the hall takes anything. Need USB keyboard+mouse, dont need any audio.

Going across the hall is the problem with length, this will be at least 5m probably closer to 6m, which looks to be around the limit of standard USB/DVI, and I will still want decent resolution too.

So, what options have I got for coming across the hall - extenders, booster, or running over CAT5/6. At this stage things start looking a bit messy and expensive with the CAT5 extender more expensive that the KVM switch.

Any advice on solutions or vendors to start looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Remote Desktop Protocol ? Will work over your existing network and allow full or granular control in either direction.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

That's a fall back plan, but ideally I want to be able to manage it out of band, so when it's booting etc I want to be able to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

thos wrote: »
    That's a fall back plan, but ideally I want to be able to manage it out of band, so when it's booting etc I want to be able to control.

Kvms, switching outputs and rebooting machines leads to a bad time. I'd suggest a KVM being the last option tbh.

Advertisement