Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on my lack of fibre connectivity

Options
  • 13-05-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Hi Eircom Reps... on your new site, in the FAQ section, the following are given as possible reasons why I am not eligible for fibre connection, despite being in an enabled area:

You may be an exchange customer which means you are connected directly to the telephone exchange rather than a roadside cabinet. Regulations presently don’t allow for high speed broadband to be deliver straight from exchanges, however we do have a solution and we are hopeful that once approved we will be able to deploy by the Summer. 

Your home/business may be located to far from a cabinet to support high speed broadband. Unfortunately it is not economically viable to install the necessary equipment in all areas; however there ar
    e a number of initiatives underway to improve broadband services across the entire country.

Can you confirm which applies to me, as I want to be able to make an informed decision as to my ongoing service.

There is also talk of enhancing the mobile network to supplement shortfalls in the fixed line broadband... since I have no mobile coverage where I live right now, and since there are no planning applications for new or upgraded cell-towers in my area, this is not a solution that will apply to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

gerryk wrote: »
    Hi Eircom Reps... on your new site, in the FAQ section, the following are given as possible reasons why I am not eligible for fibre connection, despite being in an enabled area:

You may be an exchange customer which means you are connected directly to the telephone exchange rather than a roadside cabinet. Regulations presently don’t allow for high speed broadband to be deliver straight from exchanges, however we do have a solution and we are hopeful that once approved we will be able to deploy by the Summer. 

Your home/business may be located to far from a cabinet to support high speed broadband. Unfortunately it is not economically viable to install the necessary equipment in all areas; however there ar
    e a number of initiatives underway to improve broadband services across the entire country.

Can you confirm which applies to me, as I want to be able to make an informed decision as to my ongoing service.

There is also talk of enhancing the mobile network to supplement shortfalls in the fixed line broadband... since I have no mobile coverage where I live right now, and since there are no planning applications for new or upgraded cell-towers in my area, this is not a solution that will apply to me.
    Hi gerryk

I'm having dificulties locating your details from previous cases, can you please PM me your account details and I'll look in to this for you?

Many thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Regulations presently don’t allow for high speed broadband to be deliver straight from exchanges, however we do have a solution and we are hopeful that once approved we will be able to deploy by the Summer. 
    Why bother with that? If Eircom wishes to provide a service to people on exchange only lines, why not just offer to move lines or put in new ones connected to cabs?

VDSL from the exchange is hardly going to be worth the cost of installing the equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi gerryk

Thanks for you details, I had replied by PM yesterday evening.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement