Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuinely Inspired

Options
  • 13-05-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Yesterday morning such a simple thing left such a big impression.

I was showering after the morning group swim set feeling wrecked but good about the latest trip to the pain cave. While chatting to a girl beside me I noticed another girl out in the pool putting in some extra lengths after the session. Nothing special about that, its common around here. The girl herself I had met a few weeks earlier and learned that she had transferred over from the UK for a job and was modest about her training for her first IM.

I simply commented on her commitment when the girl next to me informed me that it was Norseman she was training for! I don't know what it was, maybe I just wasn't expecting that but I could hardly take my eyes off her swimming up and down on her own putting in the honest work. For a moment I felt genuine inspiration and made it my business to wish her good luck when I meet her next.

What was the last everyday or not so everyday thing to genuinely inspire you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I read a note from one of our organisers of an upcoming club event - it was as part of communication with the mother of one of the kids taking part in the event - no special help requested - her daughter, the competitor has autism.
    I, for one, will watch closely with a broad smile and interest and be inspired by someone doing something that challenges them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Good topic MCOS. Thought you'd read my latest blog at first ;)

Seriously though, one of my running group recently told me that she is suffering from Parkinsons. She is enjoying the running immensly as the endorphins help keep the tremours at bay for a while.

Serves as a great reminder to enjoy every step a person can take while they can.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the guy in the wave ahead of me at Joey Hannon, missing one arm from the elbow down. think he was last out of the pool, but he went out that door as fast as any of the others. doubt he let it get in the way of any of the rest of the race .

improvise, adapt, overcome. hats off to him.

that was the last one. find since i start doing sports events though that there isn't many go by without something striking as inspirational

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Maybe its because I have a grá for swimming lately, but there are a disproportionate amount of inspirational characters you get to meet in the water.

Both coaches I've had, have been hugely helpful and patient, and have inspired everyone I've seen them coach to swim better and faster. Ditto when I see coaches helping youngsters; there is a real bond between them, and they love to see the youngsters progress. That "passing on a love of the water" coaching is inspirational.

Most people you meet in the pool are sound- if they are faster they are willing to give stroke tips, if they are slower they are willing to listen to yours. There's one poster here who has always helped me with patiently describing a swim technique, or suggesting ways to improve, and she is largely responsible for getting me to challenge myself in the pool (even though she mightn't know it), so she is a huge inspiration.

But most of all- I've swam with one guy at the Arklow pool a couple of time, he was born with severely shortened limbs, but has gone on to win gold in the Paralympics. That's not the thing that impresses me most about him though; its his sheer work ethic and attitude. He swims 400 in 4:5x, and cuts through the water like a blade. He is very helpful in giving stroke advice, and doesn't seem to understand barriers. The hardest 75m I ever swam was trying to keep up with him, and I had to sit out most of the rest of the set, while he only got faster. There is an "Anything is Possible" glow from him, and he's definitely the person that inspires the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I was in the pool a few weeks ago and spotted a lady swimming in the lane next to me. She was a good swimmer too. Soon realised she had one leg. Seeing people like that training gives you a great sense of inspiration and thankfulness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

My Dad, at 60 still knocking out marathons (only started 3 years ago) and chasing faster times!! Doing Edinburgh in a weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My Dad, at 60 still knocking out marathons (only started 3 years ago) and chasing faster times!! Doing Edinburgh in a weeks time.

Isn't his PB faster than yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Isn't his PB faster than yours?

No but it is faster than yours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

My inspiration usually is paralised people. Lived in Cork next to a home for quadraplegics. Jogging past there always made me realise how much those poor lads would love to be able to go out jogging.

Similarly when a friend Stuart Mangan was paralysed after a rugby accident, no matter how bad/sore/tired I felt on a run/cycle, thinking about giving up, just the thought of what Stu would have given to be able to go out and run/cycle those next few miles is really motivational for me.

Advertisement