Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any locksmiths assess your door before working on it?

Options
  • 13-05-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

A while back I got locked out of my rented house. The locksmith came out, changed the lock, and was a model of politeness and professionalism. I would have recommended them to anyone, and did.

I've just bought my first home and I don't know anything about locks, so I rang the same crowd this morning, quite happy to hand my money to them and give them the business.

The lady who answered turned me right off them. Abrupt and unhelpful. She said they don't usually call to houses first. She wanted me to tell her, the professional locksmith, which locks would be best for my doors. I presume she wanted me to fit the thing too and send her on the payment as soon as I was done.

Does anyone know of a good local locksmith who will come and see what lock you need before fitting it? I'm not going back to the other crowd. She hung up before I had the chance to ask her anything else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

DeccyJ wrote: »
    A while back I got locked out of my rented house. The locksmith came out, changed the lock, and was a model of politeness and professionalism. I would have recommended them to anyone, and did.

I've just bought my first home and I don't know anything about locks, so I rang the same crowd this morning, quite happy to hand my money to them and give them the business.

The lady who answered turned me right off them. Abrupt and unhelpful. She said they don't usually call to houses first. She wanted me to tell her, the professional locksmith, which locks would be best for my doors. I presume she wanted me to fit the thing too and send her on the payment as soon as I was done.

Does anyone know of a good local locksmith who will come and see what lock you need before fitting it? I'm not going back to the other crowd. She hung up before I had the chance to ask her anything else.

Where are you based ?:)and what doors are on the house .
    Are you anyway good with your hands .

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DeccyJ

Dublin 8. PVC door on the front, wooden door (I think) around the side. I wouldn't be the least handy fella around, but do you need to get them installed/signed off by pros for the insurance companies?

Dublin 8. PVC door on the front, wooden door (I think) around the side. I wouldn't be the least handy fella around, but do you need to get them installed/signed off by pros for the insurance companies?

No they do not need to be signed off
    For the front I would guess a new barrel and the side door might need a good mortice lock fitted .
    Are there any window locks fitted
    Pm me if you need any advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

highly recommend http://www.keysonwheels.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nieghbour of mine, I'd highly recommend him:
    http://www.mccoylocksmiths.ie/

He fit two locks to our front door and altered them so the same key works in both. I didn't even know that was possible :D

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Nieghbour of mine, I'd highly recommend him:
    http://www.mccoylocksmiths.ie/

He fit two locks to our front door and altered them so the same key works in both. I didn't even know that was possible :D

Yes its easy enough to get done it,s called master keying

Wow, great, thanks everyone.

Carpenter, I get the keys next week. I'll let you know how I get on, thanks.

Wow, great, thanks everyone.

Carpenter, I get the keys next week. I'll let you know how I get on, thanks.

That is no bother :)

I went for McCoy Locksmiths in the end. They were out in less than an hour and had it all sorted in minutes. I'd definitely recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭shianto

DeccJ thanks for starting this thread. I just used McCoy (John) today in a word Professional - good communicator, knows his business and just a decent person - How I wish there were more of them (across all the trades).

• Advertisement
Advertisement