Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West Training Plan

Options
  • 13-05-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi guys i know there is a ton of gaelforce west threads i searched but i couldnt find what i was looking for,is there a training plan that people follow or do people just make it up themselves?I would be fairly fit and was going to run 3 times a week and cycle 3 times a week and try and do some brick sessions and hill training but have no idea about distances?What distance should i start at and what should i go to in the running and cycling. Thanks im new to adventure racing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

most are making it up as they go along, to a degree anyway..

your in castlebar ? you have the advantage of being close to the course.. your training can be specific
    ride the bike route or even sections of it a few times.. knowing the off road section will be a big advantage
    climb and descend the reek from the mountain rescue side.. there are minutes to be made and lost here

other than that make sure you have the distances in your legs .. so at a minimum get up to the race distances.. for cycling id try to find a hilly 40k..
    from what i remember the first run is 13k but its over fairly uneven sometimes boggy ground and is hard on the legs.. theres a break then for the kayak and another 3k to delphi.. so 16k running
    cycle is 40k ish
    and then croagh patrick up and down

wouldnt overly panic about brick sessions for gaelforce .. youl be walking on the reek and the last run is fairly short..
    3 times a week for each sounds plenty to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

woody1 wrote: »
    most are making it up as they go along, to a degree anyway..

your in castlebar ? you have the advantage of being close to the course.. your training can be specific
    ride the bike route or even sections of it a few times.. knowing the off road section will be a big advantage
    climb and descend the reek from the mountain rescue side.. there are minutes to be made and lost here

other than that make sure you have the distances in your legs .. so at a minimum get up to the race distances.. for cycling id try to find a hilly 40k..
    from what i remember the first run is 13k but its over fairly uneven sometimes boggy ground and is hard on the legs.. theres a break then for the kayak and another 3k to delphi.. so 16k running
    cycle is 40k ish
    and then croagh patrick up and down

wouldnt overly panic about brick sessions for gaelforce .. youl be walking on the reek and the last run is fairly short..
    3 times a week for each sounds plenty to me..

Thanks woody1 some great advice there will definitely try and get some practice on the course don't know the course that well but must look into the off road section and training on the mountain rescue side of the reek only ever gone up it the normal way.

Advertisement