Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no 5 rounds?

Options
  • 13-05-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

This is as much thinking out loud as a question.

There are some really nice chassis' available now for the T3. Right now I'm delighted with the Etac stock I have and wouldn't change it. But someday I might be tempted by an XLR Element chassis with either a Taclite or maybe a Magpul butt stock. I think it could make the perfect long range varminting platform. Only drawback for me would be having to use a 10 round mag. I'm not mad about having a big mag sticking out under the stock. I can see the practical side of having a high capacity mag but I like having the mag tucked neatly under the stock or even flush with the underside like I have with the 4 round tikka mag. Believe me there's times when it's been awkward having a big thing hanging from my own chassis;)

So what I'm kinda getting at is, why aren't there any 5 round .223 AI type magazines? They're available/listed for .308 but why not .223?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

I know Beretta and others market a variety of mags for the T3 including 4 rounders in .223. I guess what you are saying is that those will not fit the new stocks available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

EWQuinn wrote: »
    I know Beretta and others market a variety of mags for the T3 including 4 rounders in .223. I guess what you are saying is that those will not fit the new stocks available?

The chassis takes AI mags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

EWQuinn wrote: »

I have a few of the tikka 4 round mags, but like juice has said all the new chassis systems only accept the AI mags.
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/nutzkicker/Tikkas/DSC_3619.jpg
    The KRG has a 5 round mag in .308 while the XLR has a 10 round .223
    I'd just prefer the shorter mag if I was doing the build

It's a lovely chassis, I am going to get one myself. i had a chat with kyle a while ago very nice chap, They don't export directly but he has someone that he deals with who has the ITAR authorization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I really like the look of the XLR Element. I prefer the open fore-end of the KRG over the XLR Evo tubular arrangement, but there's more grip and butt stock options with the XLR. So the Element ticks both boxes but there won't be a tikka inlet till autumn.

It's hard to appreciate the two rifles in the pic I linked, it was done just to compare mag lengths. The full article is below
    http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/127652-spoiled-tikka-t3s-krg-xlr-nf-s-b-picheavy.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

juice1304 wrote: »
    It's a lovely chassis, I am going to get one myself. i had a chat with kyle a while ago very nice chap, They don't export directly but he has someone that he deals with who has the ITAR authorization.

Just out of curiosity, how much is this other person charging to do the export....

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how much is this other person charging to do the export....

Off the top of my head $400 It was a while ago though you need to pay for an export licence as it is a controlled item as well as the shipping costs etc.. That was all included but as i said i would have to check. I would say that is reasonable.

juice1304 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head $400 It was a while ago though you need to pay for an export licence as it is a controlled item as well as the shipping costs etc.. That was all included but as i said i would have to check. I would say that is reasonable.

Yeh I think thats what we were quoted a year or two ago. Myself and a relative planned on getting an XLR. It was a fair while ago but if memory serves right, I think it was about $900 for the chassis and then between Irish customs and the export licence all in all it was due to clock in around €1,500.

Would be a nice cheap option otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Yep, if it wasn't for the horrendous price it would be cheap alright. ;)

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Yep, if it wasn't for the horrendous price it would be cheap alright. ;)

tac

Here's the quote we were given.

Tactical Evolution Chassis: $790
    DL folder: $115
    rail-s55: $25
    AICS-22310: $72
    QD adapter: $30
    Monopod adapter: $20
    US shipping: $20

Total: $1072.00

Kyle cant do the export license himself and ships it to an exporter. The exporter charges $250 right away and then 15% of the total value. So the exporter wants about $400 for the above.

Then the shipping to Ireland is an estimated $100.

So $500 or €364

And then when it comes to Ireland we get hit for more tax which was working out around the €275-€300 mark.

So in other words. You buy the chassis for about €700 and then have to pay another €664 in middle men fees. Whats the point? We bought some chassis of Pete Lincoln instead and saved a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭p.e.s.

I think Riflecraft in the UK designed a 5 shot 223 AI mag, I asked them a couple of years ago and he was waiting for them to come in. It would be worth a call ... it could have been Norman Clarke also not sure which one i was dealing with at the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Here in states various shops have routinely cut AR 30 rd mags to 10. I have 2 of them where a top and bottom piece were rejoined with some kind of internal sleeve and secured with 4 rivets. A very professional job. I do not like the banana clips or even the 20 rd when shooting from bipod or bench.

There is a YouTube vid on a DYI on one of these using aluminum channel sections, vid was no good but end product did not look too bad. Not sure if you could cut one of these T3 target stock 10 rd mags & convert to 5 and still have it function, not sure if rules there would allow, prob not worth the effort. But for someone who is handy its a thought.

Advertisement