Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies on O'Connell St and sorrounding area *READ MOD NOTE POST #1 AND #11*

Options
  • 13-05-2014 5:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Been a while since we had one of these threads.

Funny thing is i've noticed a big decline in the numbers of alcos,tablet-monsters and yack bags hanging round the city centre of late.

I was on the bus earwigging a couple of them talking and apparantly the gardai have undercover officers all over the area and it's not worth thier while plying thier trade there anymore.

I wonder if this is true and where they've all moved to..
    ***MOD NOTE***

Nothing good ever comes of these threads. Be warned, this thread will be monitored closely, the first sign of trouble and it will be closed and infractions and bans will be handed out appropriately. Consider this the first and final warning to everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

chopper6 wrote: »
    Been a while since we had one of these threads.

Funny thing is i've noticed a big decline in the numbers of alcos,tablet-monsters and yack bags hanging round the city centre of late.

I was on the bus earwigging a couple of them talking and apparantly the gardai have undercover officers all over the area and it's not worth thier while plying thier trade there anymore.

Glad to hear it if true.
    I wonder if this is true and where they've all moved to..

Various 'sink' estates I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

They'll just wait until the Garda presence inevitably dies down and then they'll return.Policing alone has not,and will not ever solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

porsche959 wrote: »
    Glad to hear it if true.

Various 'sink' estates I'd guess.

What's a 'sink' estate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

It is true, I saw a bunch of them scatter like a flock of pigeons last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

OP - haven't got time to comment but google "operation Spire"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Realtine wrote: »
    OP - haven't got time to comment but google "operation Spire"

Ah yes...
    Gardaí have seized thousands of euros worth of drugs as part of an ongoing operation tackling dealing around O’Connell Street in Dublin city. Operation Spire is run from Store Street Garda station and is aimed at reducing the amount of drug activity on the capital’s main thoroughfare.
    Latest statistics between the end of January and mid-March show that about €15,800 worth of various drugs have been confiscated. This includes almost €9,000 worth of heroin and over €4,000 worth of benzodiazepine, an anti-anxiety sedative drug. Smaller amounts of cannabis, cocaine and ketamine have also been seized as part of the operation as well as more than 8,000 non-controlled tablets, primarily Zopiclone and Zimovane.
    Gardaí said Operation Spire has led to three full court prosecutions with convictions in each case.
    Two of these were obstruction charges while one prosecution was brought under the Misuse of Drugs Act.
    There have been 227 incidents under the Misuse of Drugs Act, 54 obstruction offences and 111 behaviour warnings.
    “Operation Spire combines high visibility uniform patrols with dedicated covert plainclothes personnel working together with the main objective of targeting drug dealing and anti social behaviour on O’Connell Street,” it said.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

Seems to be plenty around late sunday evenings at the bus stop to dcu!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

Most evenings there's usually a group of 6 or 7 of them hanging outside the Londis on the corner of Ashton Quay and O'Connell Bridge, often hassling passers-by for change etc and they never seem to be moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The whole area is under CCTV now and you can see the cameras. And its constantly monitored. There is a lot more Gardai on O Connell Street and especially around O Connell Bridge near Westmoreland Street. But the fact a majority of Methadone is given out in town doesnt help. Addicts need methadone, but do they really need to get it in town, instead of the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Nothing good ever comes of these threads. Be warned, this thread will be monitored closely, the first sign of trouble and it will be closed and infractions and bans will be handed out appropriately. Consider this the first and final warning to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

hfallada wrote: »
    The whole area is under CCTV now and you can see the cameras. And its constantly monitored. There is a lot more Gardai on O Connell Street and especially around O Connell Bridge near Westmoreland Street. But the fact a majority of Methadone is given out in town doesnt help. Addicts need methadone, but do they really need to get it in town, instead of the suburbs.

Maybe that's why they've all moved over beside Bono's gaff!

Seems to be masses of them on aston quay most evenings though...the laneway beside the old virgin megastore always seems to have a cop car parked at the mouth of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Will they travel for it though?

A lot of the support services for addicts are located in and close to the city centre not just their methadone clinics.Logistically moving these services may be almost impossible particularly if they are homeless addicts.

There some clinics located in suburbs examples are GlenAbbey on the Belgard road are the two in Finglas ,Wellmount and Tolka Valley ?.

GrayFox208 wrote: »

Well that's the question isn't it ? If your a homeless addict living in the ONO hostels using services in the city , why would you travel ?

GrayFox208 wrote: »

Hell yes...they're early risers and will cross from one end of the city to the other on busses and luas...travel passes or forgeries thereof.

I've seen bus inspectors on my route once in 4 years and they caught this girl who had been using a social welfare card instead of a pass...the inspector admonished her gently and allowed her to continue on her way as she said she had lost her pass and was travelling in to get a new one...she telephoned somebody soon after and warned them that inspectors were on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hell yes...they're early risers and will cross from one end of the city to the other on busses and luas...travel passes or forgeries thereof.....

The hostels throw them out fairly early don't they ?
    - so off to a shooting gallery or the street for the day ?

gctest50 wrote: »

Not all hostels ask them leave early.

gctest50 wrote: »

Yep they seem to be out by 9am in most areas but when they're strung out they wont be thinking of a nice lie-in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

There are lots out in Dun laoghaire,(which there has always been in DL but not the amount there is these days). I work a lot in town and feel sorry for them to be honest. I have spoken to a good few (my work is on shop fronts) passing by they stop and make a comment normally quite positive or funny, Im a big lad I've never gotten any hassle from them. Yes they can certainly be intimidating as they are normally in groups. I wouldn't feel comfortable if my girlfriend worked where they hangout.
    The back rounds most of them come from are pretty grim to say the least. It's one very tough problem to solve while the scum bag dealers are reducing the price of heroin to lure more in. From what I see the AGS are doing there best and treating them like normal folk without discriminating.

Obviously dreadful for tourism, many occasions I have advised tourists (when been asked for directions) to take alternate routes when they get off the train at Talbot st, because of large groups of addicts near Graingers pub.

Apologies for long reply, Social problem that won't go away.. One wonder's how in the name of Jaysus the heroin production has rocketed in Afghanistan,
    Since USA occupation ??? Boggles the mind really ?? under the Taliban it was falling every year.. Stats on Wiki.. I think over 90% of worlds Heroin comes from there now..

my 3 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Still as bad as ever around the junction of Talbot St & Amiens St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

What's a 'sink' estate ?

Phrase isn't used much any more but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sink_estate

Yep they seem to be out by 9am in most areas but when they're strung out they wont be thinking of a nice lie-in anyway.

The service I work in has city centre hostels and do not ask ONO beds to be vacated by 9am .
    There's more than a few types of hostels in Dublin , providing different types of accommodation from Cold Weather beds , pilot scheme beds , six month beds and so on .
    Let's not generalise .
    I've for a couple of years in drug/homeless services as well as accommodation .

Fire away with a few questions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Most of the city centre area has had monitored Garda CCTV since the late 90's.

Once the funding for this current Garda operation runs out it will business as usual because no effort has been made to address the variety of reasons addicts and rough sleepers gather in the area every day.

All those Garda hours for three minor convictions and miniscule seizures of heroin and benzos is a fairly pathetic use of resources too.

Steve012 wrote: »
    One wonder's how in the name of Jaysus the heroin production has rocketed in Afghanistan,
    Since USA occupation ??? Boggles the mind really ?? under the Taliban it was falling every year.

heroin isnt as widely available as it was several years ago.

The majority of addicts are now using medicines like Blueys(Valium 10mg),Yellies(valium 5mg) and sleeping tablets like zimmovane and Dalmayne.

The tolerance to these drugs that can build up is shocking and they can ingest quantities that would have been thought fatal a few years back.

The drugs are being smuggled from Spain,bought online or being prescribed in huge numbers by disinterested GPs who will give junkies whatever they want to get them out of his surgery.

Using benzos etc is not to say that they don't also use heroin or take methadone...they do this as well as everything else biut the tablets etc are easier to get and not as actionable than heroin if they're caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Programme on TV3 now about someone working for the Simon community with junkies around Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Programme on TV3 now about someone working for the Simon community with junkies around Dublin

Before anyone looks down their noses at junkies I'd dare them to watch this series of videos interviewing junkies on the streets of Dublin.

Junkies 'The Walking Dead' really don't bother me, and I work the door of a rock bar on Aston Quay so I'm not unfamiliar with them.

I don't agree with the OP that there are less around, maybe on O'Connell St but certainly not on the quays, the alley ways and side street off Templebar.

Why don't they bother me?.. Because the vast, vast majority are too weak from their sickness to be trouble to most people, although they're an unsightly blight on our streets and its rare a weekend doesn't pass that a number of tourists will mention the sheer number of junkies on the quays and surrounding area's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

cson wrote: »

Very unfortunate, as Talbot Street should really be the gateway to the city centre from Connolly. I wonder how many people get the Luas from Connolly to Abbey St just because they feel unsafe. It could be an inviting walk of shops and restaurants, a kind of Camden St of the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Aard wrote: »
    Very unfortunate, as Talbot Street should really be the gateway to the city centre from Connolly. I wonder how many people get the Luas from Connolly to Abbey St just because they feel unsafe. It could be an inviting walk of shops and restaurants, a kind of Camden St of the Northside.

It is a shame...I quite like Talbot street for its funky shops and stuff. This street leads directly to the Spire but can be dodge as hell. Really shouldn't be like that.

Funny enough, regarding the main subject of the thread, last week I saw a usual zombie around Grafton street...doing the "Could ye spaare a your-o blah blah", but then I saw him look around and sense danger like a gazelle on an African savannah who had just detected a hungry Lion and leg it. Looking very worried so he was. I saw him again 10 minutes later further on and he was still ill at ease and looking over his shoulder.

Hopefully the boys in blue are driving these bowsies out of the city centre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

cson wrote: »
    I'd add North Earl St to that, the corner of that on O'Connell St is beyind shocking, was walking from Marlborough St towards O'Connell St yesterday around lunchtime and 5 seperate people offered me Zimos and the like but the amount of junkies just roaming around was unreal. I've been to a lot of major cities and I have never seen that around of junkies and heroin addicts concentrated on the main thoroughfare.
    Wolfe Tone Park is another spot full of them. It has the potential to be a perfect relaxing area but instead is littered with junkies. Dublin is a great city but it's unfortunate that this is allowed to go on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement