Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies on O'Connell St and sorrounding area *READ MOD NOTE POST #1 AND #11*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm not a big one on Garda bashing, particularly online, if I need to say something I will say it to their faces and I have done so in the past. But, the Gardai are human and in my experience will go for the less hassle option, the easier paved way. Which is easier? Stopping a red light runner on a bike or searching a foul mouthed, disease riddled drug addict that knows the law inside out and that hasn't washed in four weeks, in doing so risking being assaulted, spat upon or pricked?

Sorry, but I've seen them walk right by what they shouldn't have in the past. Should they be paid more to work in areas of higher risk?

Rocky is the path of the righteous and all that.

The easier paved way is being quick to arrest people who defend themselves from criminals, as if they're the criminal.

There's always this claim that they can ignore lesser crimes to concentrate on bigger ones. There's drug dealing, taking, mugging and harassment.

What are they waiting for bank robberies?

Let someone else do the job then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    The 101 Talbot
    The Italian Connection
    Le Bon Crubeen (I think it's reopened after the fire!)
    The Roasted Bean coffee shop
    Halls Cameras
    Real butchers shops
    Big pharmacy with a huge selection of smellies (fragrences, not the customers :) ).
    The old tea time express shop is still a proper cake shop
    Proper DIY shops
    SuperValu & Tesco
    Molloys lounge isn't a bad boozer
    3 hotels and a Carrolls tourist shop :)

That's just off the top of my head.

Wow! I'm like SO there!!!

Used to be just shoe shops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

chopper6 wrote: »
    Well i'm a northsider and i cant think of one reason that i'd walk down Tablet Street

Take the blinkers off chopper!

Another not yet mentioned is The Celt. Whatever you think of it, you can't beat it for young single tourists!
    The easier paved way is being quick to arrest people who defend themselves from criminals, as if they're the criminal.

There's always this claim that they can ignore lesser crimes to concentrate on bigger ones. There's drug dealing, taking, mugging and harassment.

What are they waiting for bank robberies?

Let someone else do the job then.

I'm not a cop, I can't answer your questions. If it's bothering you so much you should contact your local councilor. Now is a good time coming up to the elections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Another not yet mentioned is The Celt. Whatever you think of it, you can't beat it for young single tourists!

I hate the place...an overpriced,scruffier version of the Arlington where you can easily get your head kicked in.

A dump of a place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Anytime anyone brings up crime in Dublin, someone usually brings up junkies aswell, as a canard, sometimes to change the subject like 'Old Hippy' seems to want to do?

Er, the thread title, man. Have you read the thread title? :confused:
    The IFSC is fine and dandy during the day...then in the evening it's a ghost town...it is never going to be the lifestyle hub or cultural quarter harry crosbie et all promised when he started doing the area up.

And O'Connell St isnt Oxford St either...it's a mishmash of cheapo fast food joints and shops selling cigarettes and lotto...pretty much a dump tbh.

Have you seen Oxford St lately? There's plenty of low end retail outlets there as well as high end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mortarhate

Is he baldish/grey haired, leather jacket?

I've seen this bloke on the LUAS and that's him. He never bothered me, stinks something terrible, but I always felt sorry for him. Out of all the times I've seen him, once was him talking and acting perfectly normal at the Museum stop, I couldn't believe it. He can stay in character, I'll give him that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You'll make it a cool place soon people. Seriously though there's no reason why a nice long street like it can't become something more than what it is.

I'm not a cop, I can't answer your questions. If it's bothering you so much you should contact your local councilor. Now is a good time coming up to the elections.

Ah I know, it's just we have to demand more of them I reckon.

It's too late when one hears of tourists being robbed, abused, etc.

I'll have to wander by The Celt though to verify your statement, one of these days.;)

mortarhate wrote: »
    I've seen this bloke on the LUAS and that's him. He never bothered me, stinks something terrible, but I always felt sorry for him. Out of all the times I've seen him, once was him talking and acting perfectly normal at the Museum stop, I couldn't believe it. He can stay in character, I'll give him that!

He certainly fooled me!

Not sure I've seen him been given money though.

old hippy wrote: »
    Er, the thread title, man. Have you read the thread title? :confused:

Yeah but I meant they bring up junkies as if we are wrong to criticise them, how it's apparently all our fault, and therefore should lay off complaining about the state of affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

gctest50 wrote: »
    probably a few bob involved if something doesn't seem to make much sense ....
    Good link, didn't realize it was that big a hole in the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Good link, didn't realize it was that big a hole in the budget.

It costs about two grand a year to maintain somebody on methadone , relatively inexpensive and I think you made the observation about people being on it for years , its being called liquid handcuffs occasionally now and some of its users are now in their forties and fifties now.
    The state hasn't the inclination or funding to detox people off it in a large scale , it can take up to 17 weeks to detox dependng on where you go and never mind what it takes to reach 35 or 40 or so mls before you can access treatment.
    Then the individual often needs up to two years aftercare with supports around housing ,health etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

old hippy wrote: »
    Meanwhile the junkies who are rich enough to snort their drugs of choice clog up the trendy bars, fancy hotels and less visible parts of Dublin. Allegedly. You know the type; the more "respectable" addicts. Allegedly.
    Aye it's the same with alcohol where dirty drunks drink their lagers and ciders, while more respectable people who comsume a hell of a lot more units a week are guzzling bottles of wine every night yet look down their nose at everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭thebannerboy

Been a while since we had one of these threads.

Funny thing is i've noticed a big decline in the numbers of alcos,tablet-monsters and yack bags hanging round the city centre of late.

I was on the bus earwigging a couple of them talking and apparantly the gardai have undercover officers all over the area and it's not worth thier while plying thier trade there anymore.

I wonder if this is true and where they've all moved to..

I walk to and from work by o'connell St and have also noticed a huge decline. It seemed to start about two weeks before paddy day and has kept going since.

In fairness they don't cause hassle to anybody and always seem to be intently into these conversations but they are an eyesore. Even my 70 year old father up on a Sunday has witnessed heroin deals. Perhaps the build up to 1916?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

also,all the homeless hostel are located in or around the city centre,these hostels generally kick everyone out at 8am and don't let them back in until 8pm,one particularly bad one is located just down a laneway just off marlboro st,adjacent to barneys amusement arcade,considering the location of this particular hostel it would seem that is no accident that north earl/Talbot st is teeming with addicts.

Yeah but I meant they bring up junkies as if we are wrong to criticise them, how it's apparently all our fault, and therefore should lay off complaining about the state of affairs.

Who is saying this?

People are free to criticise addicts. Dehumanise them, condemn them without comprehending why they are what they are. People are free to see and regard them as less than human. I've never seen any ban on comments about addicts. Do you feel your right to comment is being curtailed?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I blame the dirty scumbag drug dealers!

JosDel wrote: »
    I blame the dirty scumbag drug dealers!

Often one and the same.

Most street addicts do a bit of dealing to pay for thier own habits.

Often one and the same.

Most street addicts do a bit of dealing to pay for thier own habits.

And who are they dealing for ????? So there the one's bringing it in from Colombia, Holland that ? dont think so......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I wouldn't put an animal on Abbey Street.

• Advertisement

JosDel wrote: »
    And who are they dealing for ????? So there the one's bringing it in from Colombia, Holland that ? dont think so......

Columbia?

I dont think so....the junkies on the streets of dublin,arent in the main dealing cocaine.

As i said,a lot of it is tablets they've gotten from doctors...or had people smuggle for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Will they travel for it though?

Junkies should receive their dole/state entitlements at the methadone clinic. Then they should move the clinics out of the city center.

I was educated in the inner city, thought I spelt it correctly sorry :(

Columbia?

I dont think so....the junkies on the streets of dublin,arent in the main dealing cocaine.

As i said,a lot of it is tablets they've gotten from doctors...or had people smuggle for them.

Are cocaine users a more socially acceptable form of addict?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I saw an incredible amount of the living dead yesterday at midday around Tara street DART station...openly dealing near the O'Reilly's pub. But funny enough Abbey street was very quiet last night.

KungPao wrote: »
    I saw an incredible amount of the living dead yesterday at midday around Tara street DART station...openly dealing near the O'Reilly's pub.

That has alwys been a hotspot..i think they come from the drug treatment centre in Pearse St or there maybe anoher one nearby.

Another ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

KungPao wrote: »
    I saw an incredible amount of the living dead yesterday at midday around Tara street DART station...openly dealing near the O'Reilly's pub. But funny enough Abbey street was very quiet last night.

I've had to pass by the DART station a lot lately and noticed it swarming no matter what time of day I go by. Can't say whether it's increased or not. I actually thought the problem in town had gotten worse lately - around Burgh Quay/Westmoreland St/Aston Quay, but maybe that's where they've shifted to.

That laneway at Aston Quay is well dodgy - I took a shortcut down there recently alone and regretted it as at the Liffey end a gang was fighting and as I walked along more undesirables came out of the alley that runs parallel to Fleet St and I was a bit hemmed in between both groups. I think they were more of the "drunk skanger" types than heroin addicts though. I consider them to be more of a scourge than the addicts generally, who I'm fairly sympathetic to. Indeed my only bad Luas experience involved an abusive drunk rather than anyone off to a clinic.

Nothing happened to me, and I doubt I was even on their radar but I really was unnerved. I live and work in town and am generally unflappable at this stage, but that experience scared me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

also,all the homeless hostel are located in or around the city centre,these hostels generally kick everyone out at 8am and don't let them back in until 8pm,one particularly bad one is located just down a laneway just off marlboro st,adjacent to barneys amusement arcade,considering the location of this particular hostel it would seem that is no accident that north earl/Talbot st is teeming with addicts.

No they don't , that hostel you,re talking about is Cedar house , its 24 hour hostel with no early morning kicking out.No hostel kicks anyone out at 8am , most One Night Only let you in well before 8pm providing food etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

No they don't , that hostel you,re talking about is Cedar house , its 24 hour hostel with no early morning kicking out.No hostel kicks anyone out at 8am , most One Night Only let you in well before 8pm providing food etc.

yeah cedar house is the one to which i refer,they do kick out early,but they have a day centre.sancta Maria on Charlemont st.kicks out at 8 am and has no daycentre,nor does morning star.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement