Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies on O'Connell St and sorrounding area *READ MOD NOTE POST #1 AND #11*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Christ! Oslo was a shocker for me. Imagine dealers & hookers on every street corner along Grafton Street (never mind OCS) at all hours of the day.

Athens is like that too..the area round Omonia square after dark is teeming with junkies,hookers and gangsters. During the day the side streets are littered with syringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This is just a glimpse into the mentality of some of the junkies and scumbags who populate the area.

After robbing an iphone: "I never hit a bird in my life but I swung this bitch around" :mad:

It's fairly sickening listening to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Interesting video. I'll try to stay on topic, rather than veering into "junkie" bashing (as yer man is described in the video title).

The most glaring thing that comes from this snippit for me is the difference between how these lads view the city centre compared to the middle classes. These guys walk through the streets and describe their environment in a way that shows that they're at home there. Others, however, merely "visit" town and mightn't feel as much of a connection to it. Go in, meet a friend, have a nice time, then go back home. As more and more middle class people live in the city centre, the tensions between them as blow ins, and these working class people who perceive that town is "theirs" will intensify.

I don't really know if there's a solution, I don't even know if it's really a problem. (The general tension that is, not the crime.) It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Incidentally, I saw a group shooting up in Temple Bar yesterday on Sycamore Street. Nobody seemed to notice, and the junkies didn't seem to be harming anybody but themselves. It's interesting the difference in perception between junkies in Temple Bar, and junkies around OCS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Aard wrote: »
    Incidentally, I saw a group shooting up in Temple Bar yesterday on Sycamore Street. Nobody seemed to notice, and the junkies didn't seem to be harming anybody but themselves. It's interesting the difference in perception between junkies in Temple Bar, and junkies around OCS.

Addiction does not equal antisocial behaviour/crime. I guess that "junkie" threads are in fact much more about the latter.

Oh I agree entirely. My anecdote was merely to add credence to the idea that the problem is the concentration of addicts rather than the individual addicts themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Interesting video. I'll try to stay on topic, rather than veering into "junkie" bashing (as yer man is described in the video title).

The most glaring thing that comes from this snippit for me is the difference between how these lads view the city centre compared to the middle classes. These guys walk through the streets and describe their environment in a way that shows that they're at home there. Others, however, merely "visit" town and mightn't feel as much of a connection to it. Go in, meet a friend, have a nice time, then go back home. As more and more middle class people live in the city centre, the tensions between them as blow ins, and these working class people who perceive that town is "theirs" will intensify.

I don't really know if there's a solution, I don't even know if it's really a problem. (The general tension that is, not the crime.) It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Those savages have never worked a day in their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

They are an underclass, not a working class. Calling them is an insult to all the working class people living in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

That video is hilarious and just goes to show (as someone already said) the mentality of them. He thinks it's just another days work to threaten the life of, and rob some innocent person. "funniest ting since sloiced bred I'm tellllin ye".

There's this one lad I see every day at the 40 bus stop on D'olier street and the 79 on the quays. I see him collecting his dole from my local post office earlier in the day then immediately go to the bus stops to beg for change for "bus fare" (quite aggressively I might add, he doesn't take no for an answer often scaring the people he's asking) then an hour or so later stumbles by off his head and slumped over. I called him out on it one day and he started yelling at me and some other random woman calling me a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

As someone who has worked since the age of 16, through school, college and into full time employment I've a real problem with these scumbags being classed as working class.
    They are not working class, i doubt they've worked a real job for longer than a week in their lives.
    They are parasites on our society and bring no good to it.
    I would say that the middle class bow ins you describe are more likely to be more in tune with what it means to be working class than those that claim the title of working class at the moment. It should be reserved first and foremost for people that work.

On junkies and scumbags in that area- i see them every day that i go through town. On the way in on my lunch break last week i nearly ran over one zombie walking down the street away from connolly station, he'd just got something off a lad with a bag sitting just under the bridge at connolly. i came across him walking through traffic on the way back from town 40 minutes later, still 'alive' but oblivious to what was going on around him

vidor wrote: »
    Why would you put an addict in prison?
    is it a crime to take these illegal drugs?

• Advertisement

Poor choice of words with "working class" I see. Don't get your knickers in a twists, it was hardly the main point of my post.

Poor choice of words with "working class" I see. Don't get your knickers in a twists, it was hardly the main point of my post.
    i'm not wearing any honey ;-)
    it just grinds my gears when that description is used for knackers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Drake66 wrote: »
    Those savages have never worked a day in their lives

Yes, much prefer the cocaine snorting obnoxious professional junkies, yah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Re open Spike Island forced detox simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Hootanany wrote: »
    Other countries have done it in Europe. The problem is affecting tourism. and the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EddieConlon

Certainly a simple minded idea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

I'm not in Dublin very often anymore, and I don't really remember seeing many junkies on the streets when I lived there 10 years ago, maybe the innocence of youth though.

Anyway, I saw a man testing every single bike lock outside Arnott's on Abbey street. I was surprised by how upset it made me feel, couldn't help but think of the owner needing a bike to get to work or even just the cost of replacement to them, and how a junkie would lift it without a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

The Guards have started doing regular patrols around Amiens St in the last week.
    There has been a noticeable difference around my office.

Yes, Ireland's past shows just how good we are at forcing people to do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

old hippy wrote: »
    Yes, much prefer the cocaine snorting obnoxious professional junkies, yah?

At least they don't go around begging. Junkies expect us to subsidise them twice, once with the dole, once with handouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Watched 2 dealers get arrested today on the new Rosie Hacket bridge, Nice to see the guards (undercover) being proactive and arresting this scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yes, Ireland's past shows just how good we are at forcing people to do things.

Or let the Nuns get hold of them?

Birneybau wrote: »
    At least they don't go around begging. Junkies expect us to subsidise them twice, once with the dole, once with handouts.

Ah, so if they were more socially mobile you'd be alright with them?
    Or let the Nuns get hold of them?

Exactly. We decry the actions of the RCC and the lack of the compassion whilst simulataneously condemning the addicted. You've read the threads; advocating sterilisation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Christ, think you're so Zen and all that. Where did social mobility come in to this? ONE demographic begs, the other doesn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

This post isn't about addicts who don't bother others. There's plenty of opiate addicts who continue on with their lives and aren't a hassle to others. This topic is specifically about the junkies who roam around the O'Connell street area causing crime and giving off a negative impression of Dublin. Please stop trying to derail your topic with this irrelevant bollocks.

Christ, think you're so Zen and all that. Where did social mobility come in to this? ONE demographic begs, the other doesn't...

There but for the grace of god, eh?
    Kiltennel wrote: »
    This post isn't about addicts who don't bother others. There's plenty of opiate addicts who continue on with their lives and aren't a hassle to others. This topic is specifically about the junkies who roam around the O'Connell street area causing crime and giving off a negative impression of Dublin. Please stop trying to derail your topic with this irrelevant bollocks.

I'm not derailing anything, Mod. I'm curious as to how the perceptions of various groupings of addicts. I've had more grief from the so called professional classes on their binges than I have had from street folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EddieConlon

This thread seems to be where ignorant people come to generalise and denegrate a whole group of by and large harmless people (yes drug addicts are people too) with serious physical and mental health problems by calling them names like scum,zombie etc (that they would never in a million years dare to say to their faces) and demand they be sterilised,imprisoned or worse.

Until the city council,hse and treatment services get their acts together these people will continue to flock to the city centre every day for treatment and to beg to fund their habits,and their mere appearance will continue to frighten people who obviously live very sheltered lives.

Who made you a mod btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: If both of you are unable to post in a more civil manner, you can choose not to post or we'll simply remove your posting privileges or some other sanction. Likewise if you have a problem with a post be it off topic or back seat modding, report it and we'll decide what to do.
    Who made you a mod btw?
    Second point applies to you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

It's always the same with these threads.Some do gooder takes umbrage with the fact that people are voicing opinions that doesn't fit in with his/her agenda so they decide to try and take the discussion off topic in the hope that the moderators will lock the thread.The debate is then stifled at source and the liberal has successfully silenced those that disagree with his or her's agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

This thread seems to be where ignorant people come to generalise and denegrate a whole group of by and large harmless people (yes drug addicts are people too) with serious physical and mental health problems by calling them names like scum,zombie etc (that they would never in a million years dare to say to their faces) and demand they be sterilised,imprisoned or worse.

Until the city council,hse and treatment services get their acts together these people will continue to flock to the city centre every day for treatment and to beg to fund their habits,and their mere appearance will continue to frighten people who obviously live very sheltered lives.

Who made you a mod btw?

So what you are saying is that people have a right to 1 inject drugs 2 deal drugs and 3 mug people at knife and needle point in Dublin city centre and 4 that people who are disturbed by this behavior live very sheltered lives?You might adapt a less self righteous and sanctimonious attitude if you or a loved one of your's are ever attacked or mugged by these people.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement