Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies on O'Connell St and sorrounding area *READ MOD NOTE POST #1 AND #11*

Options

Comments

old hippy wrote: »
    I've had more grief from the so called professional classes on their binges than I have had from street folk.

As much as I generally like to defend junkies I don't believe you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It's always the same with these threads.Some do gooder takes umbrage with the fact that people are voicing opinions that doesn't fit in with his/her agenda so they decide to try and take the discussion off topic in the hope that the moderators will lock the thread.The debate is then stifled at source and the liberal has successfully silenced those that disagree with his or her's agenda.

When did "liberal" become an insult? :confused:

Who is trying to silence debate?

What is my "agenda"?
    As much as I generally like to defend junkies I don't believe you.

That's fine. I won't bore you with my mere anecdotage, suffice to say, in my long experience I've had to deal with a number of unpleasant episodes. I neither loathe nor encourage addicts; they are a problem mostly unto themselves and their loved ones. They need help, not scorn and derision. Be they in the inner city or media friendly venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's always the same with these threads.Some do gooder takes umbrage with the fact that people are voicing opinions that doesn't fit in with his/her agenda so they decide to try and take the discussion off topic in the hope that the moderators will lock the thread.The debate is then stifled at source and the liberal has successfully silenced those that disagree with his or her's agenda.
    So what you are saying is that people have a right to 1 inject drugs 2 deal drugs and 3 mug people at knife and needle point in Dublin city centre and 4 that people who are disturbed by this behavior live very sheltered lives?You might adapt a less self righteous and sanctimonious attitude if you or a loved one of your's are ever attacked or mugged by these people.:rolleyes:

Mod note: I've just clearly stated in the post right before yours is that if you have a problem with a post, report it. Furthermore you and some others seem to interpret people expressing a different but valid opinion to your's and other's as silencing and stifling which is not so. In fact it can be argued that the opposite has been the case in some of the interactions. Lastly, it was also just clearly stated that a more civil manner of posting is required, yet you have engaged in mud slinging and name calling. In light of these, warning given and don't post in this thread again unless you can improve your posting style.

We have tried to keep this discussion as open as reasonably possible and given our mod notes accordingly. However this thread is approaching the point of closure unless the quality of posting, discussion and debate greatly improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I saw 4 unfortunets banging up at the side of Pennys Princes St today Plod was just around the corner at GPO minding I do not know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

This thread seems to be where ignorant people come to generalise and denegrate a whole group of by and large harmless people (yes drug addicts are people too) with serious physical and mental health problems by calling them names like scum,zombie etc (that they would never in a million years dare to say to their faces) and demand they be sterilised,imprisoned or worse.

Until the city council,hse and treatment services get their acts together these people will continue to flock to the city centre every day for treatment and to beg to fund their habits,and their mere appearance will continue to frighten people who obviously live very sheltered lives.

Who made you a mod btw?

Harmless people? Yes they're lovely people, my experience of being mugged by one with a syringe was certainly a pleasant experience. I have never once called for them to be sterilised or imprisoned because that doesn't work. What this country needs to do is to stop arresting and imprisoning them as they'll be back out on the street, still addicted, still committing crime. What we need is a complete overall of the approach to dealing with them, and that's providing them with readily available rehabilitation programs. For those who wont pursue rehabilitation, sadly the only other route once they start committing crime to feed their habit is imprisonment.

I walk through Abbey street twice a day on the way to work 5 days a week. They normally don't do anything other than just stand around and ask for a smoke or beg for money, but being on the end of a syringe was not an enjoyable experience whatsoever. The reality is begging alone in most cases can't support an opiate habit and that can be seen by the open drug dealing that goes on in the area or addicts robbing people or things to feed their habit. The problem is this often goes on in the public eye. The last 3 fights or violent incidents I have seen on O'Connell street were all addicts, I've seen them dealing drugs to each other, and groups of them hanging around main city thoroughfares does not set a good impression to tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Jimmyie

Once you know, there's a big difference between thugs and drug addicts.

Also, drug addicts are good decent people (most of them), but during drug addiction their brain changes.
    But as for thugs that go out hurting others and stealing others on the street,etc are pure bad. Now, you may get thug addicts, but that just means they are a thug + addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

So Junkies are Part-time Thugs!
    I had the embarrassment of meeting clients while they were visiting dublin, after a healthy walk from the brazen head, stopping by Burdocks(they had read a review online!!) for some fine cuisine I walked them back to the Gresham Hotel, sadly the begging junkies near the bridge, on the quays, temple bar square, etc. give dublin a bad reputation.
    One junkie knocked the woman i was withs e-cigarette out of her hand shouting at her!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I've had more grief from the so called professional classes on their binges than I have had from street folk.

And from the "have you ever been mugged?" thread on AH:

Over the last 30 years I've lost count. Usually with knives. You learn to keep calm and hand it over.

So which is it? Or are suited-up cokehead lawyers and accountants now slipping out of clubs at 2AM and attacking people with knives to get enough for another bump?

sabat wrote: »
    And from the "have you ever been mugged?" thread on AH:

So which is it? Or are suited-up cokehead lawyers and accountants now slipping out of clubs at 2AM and attacking people with knives to get enough for another bump?

You're automatically assuming they're junkies. Let me clarify, once it was a gang in a "bad" part of town & once it was a peer in a leafy part of South Dublin, another time it was a guy in a nightclub who thought I was checking out his gf (not really a mugging), once it was a chap on a lonely road who thought I was out to get him (not a junkie, just paranoid I presume).

Those are the knife incidents I can remember.

There was a well dressed bloke on Dawson St who wasn't armed and a girl in London who slid her hand down my trousers and relieved me (of my wallet).

The cokeheads were always looking for trouble and attention, esp during the height of your "celtic tiger" as I said, they gave me the most grief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

sabat wrote: »
    are suited-up cokehead lawyers and accountants now slipping out of clubs at 2AM and attacking people with knives to get enough for another bump?

Yep...it's what all the busineses,tourists,residents and media are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

I see they already have made The new Rosie Hackett bridge their home.

Its digusting and not a Garda in sight. The usual story with this city.

Another Dublin bridge to house open drug dealing, drinking etc.

What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

mruser2014 wrote: »

What a shame.

You seem surprised by all this.

dan1895 wrote: »
    You seem surprised by all this.

Not surprised at all. Just stating a fact.

Its just a shame to see.

To be honest, I think the Dublin Gardai get away with way too much.

The city centre is in a mess with Junkies and scumbags and it is getting worse by the day.

The fact they let it get this bad and refuse to do anything to stop it increasing is a disgrace.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Yep...it's what all the busineses,tourists,residents and media are talking about.

Oh I realise it's just mere anecdotage on my part but middle class addicts just aren't as newsworthy or fit for demonisation as people from less well off areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Jimmyie

Once you know, there's a big difference between thugs and drug addicts.

Also, drug addicts are good decent people (most of them), but during drug addiction their brain changes.
    But as for thugs that go out hurting others and stealing others on the street,etc are pure bad. Now, you may get thug addicts, but that just means they are a thug + addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Visited Dublin a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been there in years. Christ its changed. Got the train to Heuston. Then the Luas. Had to be shoved on it was that busy. Ok...WTF is with the Security guards at the Luas? Who are they protecting the passangers from. We stopped at the four courts and because there were a few junkies trying to get in, the driver wouldn't open the doors so therefore any passengers on board couldn't get off. This really pissed the junkies off and they started banging on the sides of the Luas as it pulled off. The rubbish along the streets from the four courts to o Connell street is terrible. I feel there is a huge decline in the upkeep and relative safety of the city in the last few years. Suffice to say we got a taxi back to the station. Shame really. Oh and what's all this " first impression" stuff with tourists coming to Ireland. I thought most of them fly in to Shannon first?

Well, I shall certainly keep an eye out for the charnel house that Dublin has become. Heading home (Cork & Dublin) in a few months to enjoy the vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Well, I shall certainly keep an eye out for the charnel house that Dublin has become. Heading home (Cork & Dublin) in a few months to enjoy the vibe.

...don't you mean "the voibe"?.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Not surprised at all. Just stating a fact.

Its just a shame to see.

To be honest, I think the Dublin Gardai get away with way too much.

The city centre is in a mess with Junkies and scumbags and it is getting worse by the day.

The fact they let it get this bad and refuse to do anything to stop it increasing is a disgrace.

You go spend an evening with the Guards in Store Street and see how much they 'get away with'

They have a huge patrol area, dwindling staff numbers, not enough cars to name just a few.

Its not that they dont bother, its that they cant be in about 4 places at once. Look up operation spire to start with.

If you're going to criticise, how about adding some evidence rather than just the usual mindless criticism of Gardaí that the same people love to spout all the time on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I wonder if like in the US there should be a Drunk/Junkie tank in dublin for the Gardai to deposit people who are a danger to other citizens and to themselves.
    the site of a junkie quivering post injection on a door way on the quays is a great advert for our city, or a semi
    I was in A & E, on a Saturday Evening, and the amount of off their head lunatics who came in, threatening staff, abusing them and other patients (they actually got tended to quicker just to prevent them hassling others or staff).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

petronius wrote: »
    I wonder if like in the US there should be a Drunk/Junkie tank in dublin for the Gardai to deposit people who are a danger to other citizens and to themselves.

That's actually fairly normal in continental Europe, isn't it? There's a doctor on the premises should any of the guests have medical issues but they are kept overnight and charged for the privilege when they leave.

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    You go spend an evening with the Guards in Store Street and see how much they 'get away with'

They have a huge patrol area, dwindling staff numbers, not enough cars to name just a few.

Its not that they dont bother, its that they cant be in about 4 places at once. Look up operation spire to start with.

If you're going to criticise, how about adding some evidence rather than just the usual mindless criticism of Gardaí that the same people love to spout all the time on here.

The evidence is on the streets. I know about operation Spire but I see no difference on the streets.

Any time someone criticises the Gardai in this country all you hear is lack of resources, not enough man power etc.

There may indeed be an element of truth to this but their general attitude seem off. It comes from the top. Lazy public service attitude and no accountability

There is zero street patrol in Dublin when compared with other European cities. It is plan to see.

Something needs to be done to address Dublin's street crime and needs to be done ASAP. It has gotten out of hand.

Don't even get me started on bike theft and vehicle damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

What a shame.
    should have been named the christy dunne bridge. shocking to see the gardai doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I work in Lower Abbey st which used to be the place for all the degenerates to hang out. In fairness to the guards they have cleaned up O'Connell St, Marlborough St and Abbey St quite a bit. I often pass undercover cops searching people so the place has improved. I have never been on the new bridge though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ah lads, theres no need to be pushing the junkies over to the southsoide now, lets keep them north of the Liffey where they belong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

drumswan wrote: »
    Ah lads, theres no need to be pushing the junkies over to the southsoide now, lets keep them north of the Liffey where they belong
    can you explain further?

there is a clinic around bride street if memory serves me, and Dun Laoghaire is crawling with junkies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

can you explain further?
    It was a joke

can you explain further?

there is a clinic around bride street if memory serves me, and Dun Laoghaire is crawling with junkies

It is? I know it's had a problem over the years but I would have never said it was that bad. Guess I'll be seeing for myself when I'm home... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Does anyone know if Eircom have any plans to keep/ get rid of those phone boxes on the corner of Westmorland street, there? They obscure the view a lot of dealing, mugging and other shady behaviour. Might be step in the right direction to cleaning up that corner, even just a little bit. I mean do Eircom make a lot of money from those 2 phone boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Grayditch wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Eircom have any plans to keep/ get rid of those phone boxes on the corner of Westmorland street, there? They obscure the view a lot of dealing, mugging and other shady behaviour. Might be step in the right direction to cleaning up that corner, even just a little bit. I mean do Eircom make a lot of money from those 2 phone boxes?

I'm going to throw a curve ball at ya here , but have considered contacting Eircom and voicing your concerns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement