Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam attendant

• 13-05-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows what to write when ur applying for an exam attendant? I've been asked why I want to do it and I don't know what to write so please help? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Who asked you exactly? The attendants for the exams this June have already been selected. Is it for the exams in June 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Yummycupacake

It's a supervisory attendant? It's a thing my school does every year

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your post. So it's not applying for an attendant for the State Leaving and Junior Cert exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Yummycupacake

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your post. So it's not applying for an attendant for the State Leaving and Junior Cert exams?

Lol no prob! It's not an actual exam attendant it's just a supervisory attendant usually a 5th year student ;)

I'm not that in tune with the attendants selecting process, so I'll leave it to someone who knows what they are on about!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The schools select them. They sit outside the doors. Most schools have some sort of an application/interview process to choose them.

Basically a reliable, punctual person who is able to conduct themselves in a mannerly manner is who gets chosen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Usually it's the organizers favourite students who get chosen. That, and students with parents/relations working in the school. It probably doesn't matter what you write as a result, but include punctuality and anything you've done to make the school look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Usually it's the organizers favourite students who get chosen. That, and students with parents/relations working in the school. It probably doesn't matter what you write as a result, but include punctuality and anything you've done to make the school look good

How can you make such a sweeping generalisation about every school in the country? It might be like that in your school and that's a pity but it's not necessarily like that everywhere. In my school there was no application process just a random draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

thelad95 wrote: »
    How can you make such a sweeping generalisation about every school in the country? It might be like that in your school and that's a pity but it's not necessarily like that everywhere. In my school there was no application process just a random draw.

It's not just my school, I've heard loads of complaints about bias going on before. But yes I've heard of Random draws too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SiobhainD

I did this when I was in the forth year and it was basically first come first serve, but in fifth year I was asked to be an attendant for JC home ec practical exams (not paid but I got out of class at least..) because the teacher liked me. I'm guessing if you've been asked you're in with a good chance and they think you're responsible. I'd say just mention that you're punctual and reliable, maybe mention if you've ever got perfect attendance or anything and say that you think it would be good to see how a state exam is run so you can be more prepared for your leaving cert. If you really want to impress them and you're a fifth year you could say that you plan on using the time to study (you will have A LOT of free time). I knew a girl who actually did this, but it would definitely not be expected of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

SiobhainD wrote: »
    I did this when I was in the forth year and it was basically first come first serve, but in fifth year I was asked to be an attendant for JC home ec practical exams (not paid but I got out of class at least..) because the teacher liked me. I'm guessing if you've been asked you're in with a good chance and they think you're responsible. I'd say just mention that you're punctual and reliable, maybe mention if you've ever got perfect attendance or anything and say that you think it would be good to see how a state exam is run so you can be more prepared for your leaving cert. If you really want to impress them and you're a fifth year you could say that you plan on using the time to study (you will have A LOT of free time). I knew a girl who actually did this, but it would definitely not be expected of you.

I'm not sure how wise having schoolbooks outside an exam hall is....... :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a handy enough number really, though in an emergency it becomes quite a responsible job.

OK, emergencies aren't that frequent, but they do happen (a fire alarm could go off, the supervisor can become ill, a candidate can become ill, an ambulance may be required) and all these situations require a level headed person who is responsible and will do as they are requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Irish_poster

Well if your going to a school like mine you'd better be a GAA player or you'd have no chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

My school certainly has bias when it comes to selecting candidates too. I remember they told us it was a random draw when I applied but conveniently enough none of us got to see the draw and all the (insert word here) got the gig. I could have predicted the exact people who'd get it weeks before they were chosen

I'm afraid that's the result of an autocracy like a school. The principal and teachers can do whatever they like in this regard as no one's going to question them. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. :pac:

So in my opinion it probably doesn't really matter what you write, but include some achievements you've had while in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

My school isn't biased, it just chooses the fifth years who haven't missed any days.

My school isn't biased, it just chooses the fifth years who haven't missed any days.

Which is fair enough - last thing you want is an exam starting and the attendant not being there.

Such people are no doubt called licks by some others in the school, but eventually the penny will drop.

Advertisement