Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22LR Scope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

1shot16 wrote: »
    Just wondering what to put on my cz 452 .22lr

Want something with a nice big of magnification maybe 16 settle for 12 but want 16.What do ye have on your .22lr.Looking to spend 80 with rings but will go 100 with rings if has 16 or more magnification
    Was looking at a

Leapers UTG 6-24x50 5th Gen Zero Lock RG Illuminated AO Rifle Scope w/ Sunshade

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Leapers-UTG-6-24x50-5th-Gen-Zero-Lock-RG-Illuminated-AO-Rifle-Scope-w-Sunshade-/281278327462?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item417d7eaaa6

95 posted with rings

Nikko Mountmaster 4-12x50 Parallax Illuminated Rifle Scope

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nikko-Mountmaster-4-12x50-Parallax-Illuminated-Rifle-Scope-with-3-8-Mount-Rings-/370808403720?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item5655e73708

75 posted with rings

In all practical reality you don't need anything more than 9 times mag on that rifle. Save on the magnification and buy a better quality scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

http://www.hawkeoptics.co.uk/hawke-sport-hd-ir-4-12x50-ao.html

http://www.hawkeoptics.co.uk/hawke-sport-hd-3-9x50-ao-mil-dot.html

If your absolutely busting to get a scope at the moment and can not wait, have a look at theses two above.
    I know you want to bash bunnies out beyond 100m but don't dismiss close in shots so keep the bottom end of the mag range down to 3 or 4 power, plus are more suitable for lamping. IMO anything above 12 mag power for field work is wasted.
    The mil dots will help with various ranges and you can make your own mind up about illuminated reticles, personaly I favor them in low light dark conditions.

PS don't dismiss any objective bells from 40mm up to 50mm. Anything from 40mm up is great for a 22LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Though the mag would make for more accurate shots when shooting groups?. Is nikko stirling a good brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Trawl through some of the previous posts here about scope choices, styles, brands etc.
    Read some of the online shooting magazines for more info.

The higher the mag the greater the possibility of error due to shakes etc. These high mag scopes preform better from rock steady shooting positions. Generally the smaller the target the higher the mag, so ground hogs at long distance need a lot while deer at medium range require a lot less. The same for targets, 22lr bench is a 2inch ten ring at 100 yards or in F-Class the X-ring is five inches at 1000yards.

Field shooting as you have already experienced doesn't always provide the best scenario for each shot so improve your chances by having a scope that will allow you to see your target clearly, have a suitable reticle (not to thin, not to thick) and maintain zero under field use. A scope who's mag is suitable for both your closest possible shot and your furthest effective shoot is all you need.

Most of my bunnies were taken between 40-75 yards, but I did take a lot at 15 and less and a few around 100. My old 3-9 x 40 did the job fine. 90% of the time the scope was left on 6 power. This sort of scope required no additional focusing or parallax change over theses ranges and allowed quick acquisition and shot.

Remember the size of your targets, rabbits heads are conservatively 2 1/2 inchs round so even if you can count the whiskers on its snout you will have to have all you fundamentals spot on to plant a round in the sweet spot. Practice your shooting and determine your fall of shoot over your various ranges. Get a selection ammo and try each one out on paper to see what works well. If memory serves me right my rifles zeroed with LV @ 50yards shoot approx 6-7 inches high with standard HV at the same range. Using LV ammo I can more or less point and shoot at a rabbits head from 10 - 75 yards but by the time I get out to 100 I need over 7 inches of hold over (with zero @ 50yrds).

I tell you one thing, your going to have great crack over the summer shooting your gun in.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

i use a Falcon Optics 4-14x44 there a little more expensive but you get a very nice scope for the price first focal plane and mill/mill.
    Take a look here, it is a Review of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

I'd pick the lighter option, I cant for the life of me figure out how guys shoot rabbits with a bipod, between fields of corn and nettles , standing shots, sling and sticks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

reniwren wrote: »
    I'd pick the lighter option, I cant for the life of me figure out how guys shoot rabbits with a bipod, between fields of corn and nettles , standing shots, sling and sticks for me.
    It is all big green sandy fields here. you have to lay down and wait for them to come out. Nothing like laying in a field on a hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Padd2

i have the mount master 4-12x50 on my hornet its a savge acope for the money highly recomend it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Nikko sterling are a good brand of scope for the price, € for € they're better than most scopes in their price range from what ive looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

1shot16 wrote: »
    Though the mag would make for more accurate shots when shooting groups?. Is nikko stirling a good brand?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057167055

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have had Nikko scopes they are good.
    I have a KONUS nand find it grand and reasonable
    http://www.agent74.com/shop/hunting/sights-scopes/

Advertisement