Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Intervention in Nigeria

• 13-05-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

With the dangerous rise of groups such as Boko Haram and their dangerous insurgency in Northern Nigeria is it time for some form of foreign military aid to be deployed to combat the terrorists and bring stability to the region? The recent events in particular are an outrage.

Oil from Nigeria is an important supplier for Europe and with this dangerous rise in Islamic fundamentalism is it time for Africa to become potentially the next front for the war on Terror?

Twitter is doing nothing. An executive decision should be made on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems like the British, Americans and Chinese are all providing various forms of support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sounds like a job for the UN/EUFOR. Might see the PDF sent over if that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nigeria has a large army well capable of sorting out these groups if the will was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

kneemos wrote: »
    Nigeria has a large army well capable of sorting out these groups if the will was there.

Obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Reiver wrote: »

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Sounds like a job for the UN/EUFOR. Might see the PDF sent over if that happened.

It sounds like a search and destroy mission. The Irish Army has no air support, no heavy fire power & no armour. The Army is more suited to its current role, hiding in their bunks while their base gets robbed by Knacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

With the dangerous rise of groups such as Boko Haram and their dangerous insurgency in Northern Nigeria is it time for some form of foreign military aid to be deployed to combat the terrorists and bring stability to the region? The recent events in particular are an outrage.

Oil from Nigeria is an important supplier for Europe and with this dangerous rise in Islamic fundamentalism is it time for Africa to become potentially the next front for the war on Terror?

Firstly you are calling for the invasion of a sovereign state which would be illegal under international law.
    Secondly. looking at recent "military interventions" in both Afghanistan and Iraq, well they made the situation worse not better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

It sounds like a search and destroy mission. The Irish Army has no air support, no heavy fire power & no armour. The Army is more suited to its current role, hiding in their bunks while their base gets robbed by Knacks.

I think you're been watching one too many hollywood films for your own good.
    Give the playstation a rest while you're at it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Anyone that's not Nigeria or maybe the African Union has no business being involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

http://bit.ly/1laAJM9

Jadoville etc

• Advertisement

Twitter is doing nothing.

The first frontier of diplomacy.
    An executive decision should be made on this.

By whom if not the Nigerians themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well... what exactly should Twitter be doing? How many of those who are truly outraged are volunteering to head over and fight these monsters?

Whole thing is like the new version of that 'Kony 2012' thing. Hashtags and signs held up by First Ladies ain't gonna save those kids. And nor is a bunch of mouthbreathers demanding outside miliatry intervention without the faintest idea of the complexities of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not sure EUFOR with its 10,000 soldiers would make a dent into Nigeria with its estimated population of over 174,000,000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Nigeria has its own armed forces and provides training for other African countries, why cant they do the job themselves? Africa on a whole needs to take responsibility and sort itself out, too much corruption and religious nut jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Seen that Nigeria is rich in Mineral resources the best answer would probably be no if they still want to retain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

ryan101 wrote: »
    I think you're been watching one too many hollywood films for your own good.
    Give the playstation a rest while you're at it.

The facts speak for themselves.
    So does international law.
    Now off to beddybyes like a good likkle boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Feckin Twitter wasters. Its OK. I've notified Facebook and LinkedIn.

Seen that Nigeria is rich in Mineral resources the best answer would probably be no if they still want to retain it.

I think most of that now belongs to the Chinese, which probably explains the lack of international momentum

http://www.oecd.org/countries/nigeria/49814032.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I agree. Let's do nothing. Well I'm doing nothing. Except maybe that hashtag thing. I can do that.

#bringbackourgirls
    #andbringbackanyboysifyouhavespareroombutdontworrytoomuchaboutthat
    #heyarentlonghashtagshardtoread?

Done my bit. Feeling a bit smug, if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My eyes! The Twitter do nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

is it time for some form of foreign military aid to be deployed to combat the terrorists and bring stability to the region?

"Insanatee: them doin d'same teeng over an over an expectin' a different reesult, ya-kno?"

Bob Marley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

With the dangerous rise of groups such as Boko Haram and their dangerous insurgency in Northern Nigeria is it time for some form of foreign military aid to be deployed to combat the terrorists and bring stability to the region?

no
    The recent events in particular are an outrage.

i agree, support to look for the missing girls is the best option rather then trying and failing to tackle another large extremist group, tried in afghanistan and failed.
    Oil from Nigeria is an important supplier for Europe and with this dangerous rise in Islamic fundamentalism is it time for Africa to become potentially the next front for the war for oil?

fixed that for you, and no i don't believe that africa or any country should be another front on the failed waste of money "war on terror" that was really about oil or revenge over 9 11 because the americans FAILED to stop the planes due to incompitents.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

The facts speak for themselves.
    So does international law.
    Now off to beddybyes like a good likkle boy.

If you find adult discussion too hard, I think you should close your account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I wondered what happened to Procol Harum - so they've gone rogue, have they?

No I knew exactly what he meant, did you though ? You need to read between the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

While we have no air power to deploy oversea's, we have enough fire power (light, medium and heavy), we've also deployed armour to Kosovo, Liberia, Chad, and currently Lebanon and Syria.. We've also troops serving in Somalia, Mali and Afghanistan.

And we've never had a shortage of volunteers to go serve in these wars, what have you ever volunteered for?.

Oh, I see you're an accountant ~ yaaaawn ~ how exciting and dangerous is that asked no one ever!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

I am a bit suspicious of the text book evil villain that was filmed gloating about the abduction of the young girls, which was broadcast on the news. I also saw it suggested that Boko Haram is a 'covert CIA operation'.. a claim apparently made by Wikileaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

You might need to bring this before The Facebook Executive Action Committee. A quick campaign of 'liking this', should have Boko Haram on the run in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

I wondered what happened to Procol Harum - so they've gone rogue, have they?

they were rogues already for plagiarizing Bach's Air on a G String.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

no

i agree, support to look for the missing girls is the best option rather then trying and failing to tackle another large extremist group, tried in afghanistan and failed.

fixed that for you, and no i don't believe that africa or any country should be another front on the failed waste of money "war on terror" that was really about oil or revenge over 9 11 because the americans FAILED to stop the planes due to incompitents.

Would "incompitents" be those who can't spell?

I'm just saying there are quicker solutions to a situation like this. I agree, the Twitter and Facebook brigade are doing as much good as they did for Kony (though this prospect of aid from Linkedin might do some good!)

If we had someone like Executive Outcomes or Sandline International this could all be sorted in a few weeks. I mean they kicked the arse out of the RUF in Somalia back in the day. I can't see a machete wielding, AK toting bullies tackling helicopter gunships and armoured columns.

If they won't accept democracy is here to stay, lets force it down their throats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭The Rad Runner

ryan101 wrote: »
    If you find adult discussion too hard, I think you should close your account

:eek: lol it worked. ask nicely i guess

Ya shoulda let him at least work out the full 3 months :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If they won't accept democracy is here to stay, lets force it down their throats.

why, who says our way is right? i believe it is, but maybe many of these countries and their people believe their way is the right way and ours is wrong, we can't force our beliefs on people and then whine about extremist groups trying to force their beliefs on people

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We as Irish should go over there, colonalize the place, and take the oil.

Furthermore, any surplus oil can be sent back here, a, which will guarantee familie's winter bills for decades to come and stimulate the Irish economy by providing surplus money for the consumer.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

"war on terror" that was really about oil or revenge over 9 11 because the americans FAILED to stop the planes due to incompitents.

I think i bought a computer incompetents once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The funny thing about this story is that 2 weeks a go it was an after thought on the news. No one gave a fcuk. So why do we care now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

We as Irish should go over there, colonalize the place, and take the oil.

Furthermore, any surplus oil can be sent back here, a, which will guarantee familie's winter bills for decades to come and stimulate
    the Irish economy by providing surplus money for the consumer.
    to enrich the usual suspects, while the average consumer sees little or any benefit.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem if you will.

Just a bit of an adjustment there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why is it I hear a voice saying "point of Heino" in my head....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Whole thing is like the new version of that 'Kony 2012' thing. Hashtags and signs held up by First Ladies ain't gonna save those kids.

Ah yeah, that guy :p That awful campaign really ran out of steam fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

D1stant wrote: »
    Feckin Twitter wasters. Its OK. I've notified Facebook and LinkedIn.

What about Bebo and MySpace?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I totally agree with the comment that #Bringbackourgirls is like Kony 2012. Makes a bunch of celebreties and bleeding hearts on FB and Twitter feel better about themselves but in reality it does nothing.

It could be argued that 200 girls going missing in a population of 174,000,000 isn't that big of a deal. Over 3500 have died in secterian violence in the past couple years. Who knows how many have been killed or maimed under sharia law in the Muslim parts of the country. But now the West cares.

• Advertisement

Children are kidnapped all the time by these types of militias.
    Since when did the rest of the world suddenly grow a conscience ?
    The next bunch of children taken in Africa won't even be reported by the western media.

What about Bebo and MySpace?

Don't get me started on those tossers. They were fully informed about the Tsunami in 2011. And I mean fully. What did they do? Fvck all. Naaating. If it wasn't for FB we would have all drowned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's perfectly simple. We must have oil. Nigerian schoolgirls, not so much. Therefore, this is not strategically significant. Whether or not the presence of organisations like Boko Haram is tactically significant is debatable - probably not at this stage, and the Americans, being as they are, are probably quite happy to consider it China's problem at this point. However, affect the oil supply == strategically significant == Kablooey. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

The funny thing about this story is that 2 weeks a go it was an after thought on the news. No one gave a fcuk. So why do we care now?

Because Facebook and Twitter (apparently doing nothing in this case??) and such, have reawakened the virtue that Charles Dickens referred to as 'telescopic philanthropy', the burning, all-consuming, passion to do good at great distance. He was referring to attitudes to Africa way back then too.

Achieved bugger all in his day, can't see it achieving much more now.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Silly idea from the OP.

What needs to happen is for the Nigerian government to get there act together and run there country properly. Groups like Boko Haram thrive in countries where the government fails to do there job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

jimgoose wrote: »
    It's perfectly simple. We must have oil. Nigerian schoolgirls, not so much. Therefore, this is not strategically significant. Whether or not the presence of organisations like Boko Haram is tactically significant is debatable - probably not at this stage, and the Americans, being as they are, are probably quite happy to consider it China's problem at this point. However, affect the oil supply == strategically significant == Kablooey. :cool:

Thank God the UN secured all that lovely oil in Afghanistan for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

why, who says our way is right? i believe it is, but maybe many of these countries and their people believe their way is the right way and ours is wrong, we can't force our beliefs on people and then whine about extremist groups trying to force their beliefs on people

Duh? Because it is? We have to fight fire with fire and those heathen terrorists should be taught a lesson. Go tweet about it if you want change.

The last time they tried to solve a problem....well look what happened to Biafra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Thank God the UN secured all that lovely oil in Afghanistan for us.

The UN couln't secure a hoorhouse in Clonakilty! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Hint: This is part of the dynamic that is driving violence in these parts of the world. How about instead of sending in the jackbooted skythugs to secure the oil, we wean ourselves off it instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The folks who are calling for, or desire, intervention are doing so at the expense of other people's lives. They say things like 'we have to help them girls', when the 'we' is actually a euphemism for 'someone else's family members must go over and break international law so that I feel better'. The said individual will then leave their laptop and completely forget about these girls. Of course, there is one thing they can do that's of utmost value, and that's to type '#bringbackourgirls', makes them feel like they've rolled up their sleeves and done something productive...however, they'll never tweet '#bringbackourboys' when the armed intervention they so long for goes horribly wrong (see Iraq and Libya).

• Advertisement
Advertisement