Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Liffey Parade

• 13-05-2014 7:08pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This should be a sight to see if anyone is around Dublin.

Parade of Boats on the Liffey River, Dublin on Saturday evening of May 17th 2014.

We plan to take as many boats from the Grand Canal Dock and those who will join us directly from the river and sea, on a Parade of Boats from there up the Liffey to the Civic Offices on Wood Quay where a surprise awaits us.

This is a celebration of boating in Ireland and we are asking all the boats to 'light up'. We will have banners and other publicity material. The media will join us for this spectacle so we want to publicise the wonders and pleasures of boating in Ireland.

Small Boats must be in the inner basin, GCD, by 12:00. You need to be launched at the slip in GCD by 11:30. Note that the Viking Splash operates from the same slip so delays will be inevitable. Please follow the directions of our marshals to ensure that only one boat is launching at a time.
    Note that due to the Waterways Ireland Docklands Summer Festival taking place on the day, you will not be permitted to launch between 11:30 and 17:00. You can launch after 5pm. Boats must have a 4hp engine at a minimum.

Parking is available for cars and trailers (overnight) at the Main Pumping Station, Pigeon House Road - (GPS 53.341415,-6.214132) link to GoogleMaps/Streetview here - its beside the recycling centre. A second parking location is at the old Pigeon House Hotel (GPS 53.339054,-6.192729), GoogleMaps/Streetview here. There is no parking at GCD.

NOTE that all skippers must pre-register - see below.

All Skippers must attend a skipper's briefing, on the jetties at the Box in the Docks, at 3pm.

We expect to drop down to the Liffey from ~18:30. All boats will assemble at 20:00 at the mouth of the Dodder before proceeding in file up the Liffey.

NOTE that we will NOT be able to lock back into GCD - any boats participating must stay overnight on the river. Small boats, RIBs etc. should tie onto the larger boats which will raft on the various jetties on the Liffey. We would like all boats tied up by 11pm.

Boats can lock back into GCD from ~10am on Sunday morning.

What we need from you:

You will need to register. This is free but we need to know numbers.
    Registered boats will receive a special plaque (above) celebrating the Parade.
    To register, simply send an email to dublin at iwai.ie with your name, phone number, boat details. Alternatively send a text with the same details to 0877142115. You must pre-register by Thursday evening (15th May)
    You must be a member of IWAI to participate.

Your Boat:

For health and safety reasons you will need to ensure that your boat is 'river worthy', you are carrying only the number of passengers appropriate for your boat, each with a lifejacket, and that your navigation lights are working. Please ensure that you have sufficient fuel and of course we recommend you have a functioning VHF and spare torch(es). It could be cold/wet, so please ensure that all crew are appropriately attired.

See our general guide to Navigating the Liffey (intended to assist Dublin Rally participants)

We recommend you have a good look at the Dublin City Moorings 2008 handbook - it contains details of Dublin Port radio, Small Craft (Leisure) regulations and Tide Tables.
    Also check www.dublinport.ie for their 2008 Leisure Craft Guidelines.

The weather forecast is currently favourable, however conditions on the day may mean last minute changes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

any one got room for me . would like to do this . but my boat is up north on a mooring . where are you all meeting I will drop down to meet you all ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oooh, I might have to drop by for a look at this - sounds like quite the spectacle!

Have you any idea of how many boats you're expecting?

Leaving the Dodder junction at 8, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

Passed by CGD this morning and there's a big gathering of boats already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

They are expecting 200 boats, I can't make it to this one as I used up my respite to go to the pub with some drunken sailors :D :P

Advertisement