Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ordered our cot but what mattress ?

Options
  • 13-05-2014 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

i just went to tony kealys and they had a cot reduced from 700 to 350, so we ordered it, the mattress then were different prices 100 then 160 and 200, they seem very similar the mid price one has a removable top for washing instead of taking the whole cover off, and the 200 one has spring pockets.
    not sure which one to go with, or would it be worth looking online tesco have one with springs for about 160 inc delivery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i would go with a foam mattress, i can't remember where i saw it (might have been on here actually) but i think the general consensus is foam is the best for babies and children!

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

And I read somewhere a spring one was better :P

Think it might have been a Littlewoods customer review so not particularly reliable research!

I got one from Smyths online. Reduced from €100 to €50. (sprung)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got my spring mattresses from kiddicare.ie when they had a sale on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

And I read somewhere a spring one was better :P

Think it might have been a Littlewoods customer review so not particularly reliable research!

I got one from Smyths online. Reduced from €100 to €50. (sprung)

i have noticed retailers prefer the more expensive spring mattresses while other sources say either or preferably foam,

i found this websites guide great to help me:

Foam mattresses

Foam mattresses are generally the cheapest. They are designed to provide the right support and maintain your baby's natural posture. They often have a wipe-clean PVC cover or removable, breathable covers on one or both sides. They may also have ventilation holes to help keep your baby cool, but these aren't necessary.

Pros
    lightweight
    provide good support
    good value for money
    generally easy to keep clean

Cons
    A PVC cover may make your baby feel a bit clammy in hot weather.
    May start to lose shape after several years. This may be something to consider if you want to use the mattress for subsequent children.
    Dirt or grime can be difficult to remove from ventilation holes.

Coil spring mattresses

These traditional mattresses have a coiled spring interior with layers of felt and foam padding. They often have a cotton cover on one side and PVC, or other wipe-clean material, on the other side.

A spring inner core will support your baby. These mattresses also tend to hold their shape well. If you choose a cot bed, you may prefer a coil spring mattress as they tend to be longer lasting than foam.

The space within the spring lattice allows for increased airflow through the mattress. This helps to regulate a child’s body temperature and to keep the mattress fresh.

Pros
    They are a traditional, popular choice with many parents.
    In hot weather, you can lay your baby on the cotton cover side to prevent her becoming clammy.

Cons
    More expensive than a foam mattress.
    The cotton side may be preferred for comfort, but can be more difficult to keep clean, unless your mattress has a removable panel.

and they give more information here

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I had 3 on a foam mattress and never had any issue. And No4 has a spring mattress, but isn't in the cot yet!

I never gave the mattress a whole lot of thought to be honest. My mam originally bought the cot and mattress for me. I used the same mattress for 3 kids (all very close in age) and bought a new mattress this time because of the age gap.

I picked this mattress specifically because it was €50 down from €100!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

looking at kiddicare and they spring ones look the same as tony kealys had for 200 they have one for 50 down from 100 and a silent night spring for 129, i think the 50 one will be ok just check with the other half now

http://www.kiddicare.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_11302_-1_124363_10151

http://www.kiddicare.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_11302_-1_68308_10151

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's worth paying the extra for the better one. It will also fit a toddler bed. So you should get many years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

i just went to tony kealys and they had a cot reduced from 700 to 350, so we ordered it, the mattress then were different prices 100 then 160 and 200, they seem very similar the mid price one has a removable top for washing instead of taking the whole cover off, and the 200 one has spring pockets.
    not sure which one to go with, or would it be worth looking online tesco have one with springs for about 160 inc delivery

Did you get a cot or cotbed? After lots of research I found that a pocket sprung was the best, they are different to a normal sprung. Baby elegance sell one (but I don't know how many springs it contains), mamas and papas have one (but it is way way too overpriced), and littlewoods have a great one that actually has more springs than the mamas and papas. I got mine on amazon by "baby's first". If it is a cotbed amazon are doing a promo 20% off certain products including a pocket sprung mattress and a stunning sleigh cot bed.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babies-Firsts-140x70cm-Microfibre-Mattress/dp/B00CBAWAGY/ref=sr_1_16?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1400282351&sr=1-16
    I got a different one and it was around €50 inc delivery and it is amazing. I also have a foam mattress for a cot €30 baby elegance and it is grand but you need to turn it regularly. I do love kealys but I found their cots, cotbeds and mattresses so overpriced! You can actually buy their exact mattresses online for half the price! I can't remember the name though but they gave me all the info.

It was a cot bed, I looked at the mamas and papas but £125 most places online, I ordered the one from kiddicare €52 delivered.
    I couldn't see the sense in buying the mattress from kealeys at 200, I got the cot bed from there as they deliver and put it together for a small charge, and it is a nice cot bed and half price was a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

If you still haven't bought a mattress then I'd recommend the healthguard fibre one that baby elegance do, It's anti-bacterial and anti-allergy, and firmer than standard foam, and comes with an inner and outer cover that are both removable and washable. Foam mattresses tend to gather and hold on to a lot of dust which is not good for small children. Unless the spring ones come with the fibre and not just sprung foam I wouldn't even consider them. Non sprung fibre are only slightly more expensive than standard foam too, but well worth it.

• Advertisement

It was a cot bed, I looked at the mamas and papas but £125 most places online, I ordered the one from kiddicare €52 delivered.
    I couldn't see the sense in buying the mattress from kealeys at 200, I got the cot bed from there as they deliver and put it together for a small charge, and it is a nice cot bed and half price was a bonus

This is probably a stupid question, but did you check the dimensions? I know they have one cot bed I think it's a "boori" that does not take a standard size!

rizzodun wrote: »
    If you still haven't bought a mattress then I'd recommend the healthguard fibre one that baby elegance do, It's anti-bacterial and anti-allergy, and firmer than standard foam, and comes with an inner and outer cover that are both removable and washable. Foam mattresses tend to gather and hold on to a lot of dust which is not good for small children. Unless the spring ones come with the fibre and not just sprung foam I wouldn't even consider them. Non sprung fibre are only slightly more expensive than standard foam too, but well worth it.

The baby elegance pocket sprung has the health guard fibre. I originally had actually paid for and ordered it but there was a problem with my delivery :(

Millem wrote: »
    The baby elegance pocket sprung has the health guard fibre. I originally had actually paid for and ordered it but there was a problem with my delivery :(

Well it'd the best choice then IMO, is it a cot or cot bed? Never seen the point in a spring mattress for a cot, even a 3 year old wouldn't weigh enough to put the non sprung under pressure, as long as it's flipped regularly, so I always thought it as a bit of a waste paying the extra for springs. Good luck with the baby btw!

This is probably a stupid question, but did you check the dimensions? I know they have one cot bed I think it's a "boori" that does not take a standard size!
    the cot bed we got was huggy bloom

Well it'd the best choice then IMO, is it a cot or cot bed? Never seen the point in a spring mattress for a cot, even a 3 year old wouldn't weigh enough to put the non sprung under pressure, as long as it's flipped regularly, so I always thought it as a bit of a waste paying the extra for springs. Good luck with the baby btw!

I have pocket sprung for a cot bed and a foam for a cot!

I have pocket sprung for a cot bed and a foam for a cot!

I really think the fibre is worth the extra 10-20 euro over a foam one, but you have the best choice for the cot bed that may do you 6 years or so.

I really think the fibre is worth the extra 10-20 euro over a foam one, but you have the best choice for the cot bed that may do you 6 years or so.

Do you know what, the foam one was meant to be for the travel cot for our hols! Anyway baby grew out of Moses basket super quick! And cotbed was too big for our room so we just got the cheapest ikea cot to do him till he is 6 months when he will go into his own room. We actually got the foam mattress in woodies when they were getting rid of their nursery stock it was €30 but they did 50% off everything and I literally got last one!

Do you know what, the foam one was meant to be for the travel cot for our hols! Anyway baby grew out of Moses basket super quick! And cotbed was too big for our room so we just got the cheapest ikea cot to do him till he is 6 months when he will go into his own room. We actually got the foam mattress in woodies when they were getting rid of their nursery stock it was €30 but they did 50% off everything and I literally got last one!

Hey, whatever works for you, just be sure to keep it clean and most importantly, do not let any vomit/milk soak into the mattress.

Hey, whatever works for you, just be sure to keep it clean and most importantly, do not let any vomit/milk soak into the mattress.

It actually has a cover on it! But we are using the clevamama pillow so any vomit hits that first! It's grand and doing the job at the mo but I would only use a sprung long term especially as he is sooooo heavy. Only 4 months old and in 9-12 month clothes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

i bought a cotbed off donedeal recently so looking to get a mattress for it now. i saw this on amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/KATY%C2%AE-Microfibre-Sprung-Allergenic-Mattress/dp/B003LYEXOG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1408269170&sr=8-5&keywords=cotbed+mattress+140+x+70#productDetails
    anyone ever buy this brand??

so do the babys stay in the moses basket for the first 6 months and then you move them into the cotbed?!

• Advertisement

bungaro79 wrote: »
    i bought a cotbed off donedeal recently so looking to get a mattress for it now. i saw this on amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/KATY%C2%AE-Microfibre-Sprung-Allergenic-Mattress/dp/B003LYEXOG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1408269170&sr=8-5&keywords=cotbed+mattress+140+x+70#productDetails
    anyone ever buy this brand??

so do the babys stay in the moses basket for the first 6 months and then you move them into the cotbed?!

No experience of that brand but this is the one I bought, it's fab.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babies-Firsts-140x70cm-Quilted-Mattress/dp/B00CBAW7Y4/ref=sr_1_18?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1409079860&sr=1-18

Depends on the size of your baby and the size of your Moses basket! We have an old large wicker one and we got maybe 3 months. The cot bed is huge so I bought a cheap ikea cot and a foam mattress which he slept on for 3 months, then he moved into his own room in cot bed. My neighbours baby lasted 3 weeks in a new Moses basket (they are much narrower and smaller than our one). Tbh I haven't heard of anyone getting 6 months out of Moses basket. We have a bugaboo cameleon and we got 6 months out of carrycot/Pram bassinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

The Ikea ones are awesome for €30

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20213246/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

We went with the Baby Elegance pocket sprung one. No problems at all with it, he sleeps very well in it, and it's still good as new - no "dents" etc in it.

I wouldn't underestimate the quality of a good mattress, as they spend so much time sleeping in the early months. My son developed positional plagiocephaly ("flathead"), and I think it didn't help that, for the first couple of months, he was in a moses basket with the standard thin foam mattress that comes with it. Next time around I'd skip the moses basket and put the baby straight into the cot from birth with a good quality pocket sprung mattress. (I'd be happy to go with the Baby Elegance one again.)

Advertisement