Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer Work San Diego

Options
  • 13-05-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi everyone,

Myself and a friend are going working in a hostel in about 3 weeks time in san diego.
    I've been informed that I don't need a work visa as we are working for free accomodation in the hostel / no pay.

We have yet to book the flights but we are planning on booking a one-way flight as we don't know what date for sure we will return.

Can anyone tell me what documents/proof I will need to get through security without hassle and any other info we should know (do we just book the flights the same way as travelling in europe our do we need a tourist pass/document of some sort first). I have never been to america so all advice would be appreciated.
    We are both in 3rd year university going into our final year in september so we will have to return by then !

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭cena

It sounds like ye won't be returning either. They may question ye for booking a one way ticket for your first visit to the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

You've been misinformed.

You cannot work in any way on the visa waiver - you are allowed to attend business meetings/training or a conference but what you would be doing is "work" even if you aren't getting paid in cash...you are getting paid in accommodation.

The penalties for you and for the hostel would be huge. Likewise...you'd be really stupid to be doing ANYTHING this illegal in a town on the mexican border where there are more INS and CPB guards than most other parts of the USA. IF you are caught, you would be banned from using the visa waiver ever again.

References:
    http://www.usembassy.org.uk/visaservices/?p=642 - you CAN volunteer...but hosteling won't count.

Also...one way ticket...RED FLAG for us border guards

• Registered Users Posts: 46 work2013

If we were to pay for our accomodation at the hostel and not work there, could we book a one-way flight without hassle (what proof would we need to avoid hassle) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

work2013 wrote: »
    If we were to pay for our accomodation at the hostel and not work there, could we book a one-way flight without hassle (what proof would we need to avoid hassle) ?

Pretty unlikely. You need to have funds to support yourself while you're there, compelling proof that you will return (a job being the most compelling), and an explanation of what you'll be doing there. Usually all that plus a return flight. As you're a student they're probably more likely to pay you attention as you pose a higher risk of abusing the ESTA system.

Who is eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program?
    You are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you:

Intend to enter the United States for 90 days or less for business, pleasure or transit
    Have a valid passport lawfully issued to you by a Visa Waiver Program country
    Have authorization to travel via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization
    Arrive via a Visa Waiver Program signatory carrier
    Have a return or onward ticket
    Travel may not terminate in contiguous territory or adjacent islands unless the traveler is a resident of one of those areas

As per the ESTA FAQ....you have to have a return ticket

Basically, if you are going to settle yourself in once town/city for the whole of your stay, you will raise red flags to why you are there. If you had the J1 visa, you'd be fine. However, under the waiver if you are going to be one place for 2 months - they're going to want to know how you'll be supporting yourself and why you won't be traveling around a bit.

• Advertisement

That makes sense. So if I book return flights for say 2 months apart, would I still be quizzed ? If so, would having ~500euro in my bank suffice as evidence that I can support myself ? ...(I could mention I am being supported by family through online bank transactions, which is the case)?

That makes sense. So if I book return flights for say 2 months apart, would I still be quizzed ? If so, would having ~500euro in my bank suffice as evidence that I can support myself ?

no....seriously I think you need to rethink this whole thing.

San Diego is an expensive town - $650 is not going to last 2 months. No one would believe that. 2 months accomodation in a hostel will be 2 or 3 times that alone.

I think your right, I'll have to take another look at what were doing. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Also...one way ticket...RED FLAG for us border guards

:pac:

Its like mayday in Beijing, the number of red flags the OP is raising!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think your right, I'll have to take another look at what were doing. Thanks for the advice.

If you're going on Holiday to the US and you fit a certain profile, they may ask you some questions and want to see some documents just to make sure you're not planning on over staying and can support yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

One way flights almost never make sense financially anyway.

Advertisement