Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raising water tank in attic

• 13-05-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭

I have a cold water tank in the attic that sits about 30 cm above the attic floor. There's a hot water cylinder on the floor below the attic. The main bathroom and ensuite are also on the same floor as the hot water cylinder.

The water pressure in the shower-heads is quite low and I would like to increase it somewhat.

Would raising the cold water tank up by 1 metre make a difference to the water pressure in the shower-heads?

How difficult is it in raising the water tank?

Are there any potential problems in having the tank sitting around 1.3 metre off the attic floor? Can I put down insulation in the attic floor area beneath the water tank? (currently no insulation there).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    I have a cold water tank in the attic that sits about 30 cm above the attic floor. There's a hot water cylinder on the floor below the attic. The main bathroom and ensuite are also on the same floor as the hot water cylinder.

The water pressure in the shower-heads is quite low and I would like to increase it somewhat.

Would raising the cold water tank up by 1 metre make a difference to the water pressure in the shower-heads?

How difficult is it in raising the water tank?

Are there any potential problems in having the tank sitting around 1.3 metre off the attic floor? Can I put down insulation in the attic floor area beneath the water tank? (currently no insulation there).

Don't insulate under the tank but do insulate the sides and top.
    The pressure will be better in the water but not by much. Get somebody like a good carpenter to build a solid base as high up as you can because if not positioned corrected the ceiling will crack below. Make sure the base of the water tank is completely supported. Every bit of it. If the tank is old or swelled on the sides at the moment I'd reccomend changing it while your at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

IIRC for every meter you raise the tank you will increase the pressure by 0.1Bar and at a rough calculation you probably have 0.2 to 0.3 Bar pressure even with a gain of 0.1 bar it will still leave you with less than .5bar which is pretty muck for a shower, so yes it will increase the pressure at the outlet, but it may not be a very noticeable increase. Raising a tank would be very straight forward for a good plumber. Potential problems will be the available height in the attic and having a solid, well supported, secure tank base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave the cold tank where it is.

A few plumbers have said I'll need a negative head pump to increase the pressure, but I'm not too keen on this option due to cost (€700+), noise and vibrations.

Another option I've read on this forum, was to have a water pump and pressure vessel.
    - What kind of pump would be needed to work with pressure vessels?
    - Can the pump and vessel be located in the attic?
    - Can the pumps & vessels withstand the extreme temperatures that occur in the attic?
    - Any recommendations on reliable pumps & pressure vessels?

Advertisement