Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for a horse for my son - advice appreciated

Options
  • 13-05-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

14 yr old cremello used as riding school horse - was looking for a starter horse for 13 yr old with some experience-

This horse is available- it has some warts under its tail- vet states they are there long time with no issues of concerns-

Not sure about this breed- its a first horse for child -
    Anyone know of this breed- any recommendations
    Thks
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Cremello is a colour rather than a breed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭fits

Did you get the horse vetted?

Is it well put together? If you can't tell, get the advice of someone who can.

Is the temperament good? a horse might behave very differently outside of riding school situation with less exercise etc.

Why are they rehoming it?

And, what would you do if the horse doesn't work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

fits wrote: »
    Did you get the horse vetted?

Is it well put together? If you can't tell, get the advice of someone who can.

Is the temperament good? a horse might behave very differently outside of riding school situation with less exercise etc.

Why are they rehoming it?

And, what would you do if the horse doesn't work out?

Its coming from a riding achool that's closing down- it was used for exactly what my guy now want s to do with it-

I am satisfied the owner is 100 per cent genuine- she says she will take him back should it not work out-

She has a good few to go but is not in a rush- I will know how young lad " fits" him over weekend as we are calling for him to see hprse- its at other end of country-
    Have you any tips as to how you would know the horse is correct size?
    Growing kid and all that?
    Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

What height is your son and what height is the horse?

You want something that is right size for him now but yes take into account he may shoot up as teenage boys do :)

It is also about strength and build not just height though, like I am 5'3 and my horse is 15hh perfect size for me and he can sometimes get a bit strong (like if hacking out or xc and is a bit fresh or excited) I can manage him but I wouldn't on something that was like 16.2 as just a bigger horse even though height wise would be ok. If that makes sense.

Even with the most genuine people make sure to cover everything you and your son want and need in a horse; and be aware that although riding school horses are usually quiet and very safe they can also be very used to being in a group lesson situation and only hacking with a group etc so potentially might behave different if hacked alone or asked to lead etc.

Also a lot of the time riding school horses are getting more exercise/ridden for longer each day than privately owned horse, in general not in all cases, so if you go for this one get advice on any feeding changes you may need to make and how much horse will be ridden just so you don't end up with horse having too much energy.

When you go view, have someone else ride the horse first before your son, if you can bring an experienced person or if your son has a riding instructor with you that is always very helpful.

If possible its good if your son can tack up the horse, or at least watch the owner tack them up, take your time at the viewing, ask anything you want about the horse and simple things like seeing if horse good to have its feet picked up to be cleaned, what horse is like being caught in field or led etc.

I think manners and temperament are hugely important and even moreso when it will be a child or young persons horse that they are easy and good to take care of.

Get a 5 stage vetting no matter how lovely, genuine and honest the owner is before you buy.

Another thought, if you can't get someone else to go too, maybe take video of horse being ridden by your son and show to exp person or riding instructor.

Don't rush into anything and if you can get a trial do, I know some people not keen to give them and I respect why owners don't, it sometimes does take time to find the right first horse but better to wait and get the horse right for your son, that will be safe, healthy and he will enjoy and have fun and progress.

Best of luck, and lucky son to have a dad getting him a horse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Would echo what everyone else has said, have you asked your Sons instructor opinion in Suitability ?

Also couple of other things - have him try the pony in an environment the pony hasn't been in before ( someone else ride first obviously ) - also have someone take the pony out on the road, into open spaces etc... alot of riding school ponies are used to being in a " group situation" so important to see how the pony reacts on its own.

If trial off their yard not possible, see if you can trial at the yard & box pony up & take out to other venues etc during that time.

Best of luck! Its a mindfield out there trying to find suitable ponies for children.

• Advertisement

Yeah he can jump and hack or whatever , they are also going to get someone to show what horse can do first .... I think it's a genuine horse lover genuinely trying to find good homes for her horses as school is closing.
    One last thing...

When my son grows as he will and the horse is no longer suitable ... I will have him in livery ... And will be looking for another ... What will I do with this lovely auld horse?? I would be concerned about his welfare ... It will be a fact that he will unfortunately become ...available for someone down the road ...BUT what will I do if I can't find him a good home , then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

One last thing...

When my son grows as he will and the horse is no longer suitable ... I will have him in livery ... And will be looking for another ... What will I do with this lovely auld horse?? I would be concerned about his welfare ... It will be a fact that he will unfortunately become ...available for someone down the road ...BUT what will I do if I can't find him a good home , then?

That's one of the risks of buying I'm afraid and one you'll have to budget for. You could give it up to a welfare place (though these are under pressure) or you could have it put down if you can't afford it. Personally, id prefer to budget and make sure you have enough for at least grass livery for after your son grows out of it. In saying that, a beginners pony usually sells.

sup_dude wrote: »
    That's one of the risks of buying I'm afraid and one you'll have to budget for. You could give it up to a welfare place (though these are under pressure) or you could have it put down if you can't afford it. Personally, id prefer to budget and make sure you have enough for at least grass livery for after your son grows out of it. In saying that, a beginners pony usually sells.

Thats the thng unfortunately - I will be able to afford weekly livery and regular
    Shoeing etc - I wouldn't have a hope of paying for two its not a runner- wouldnt like to put a healthy horse dowm ....just trying to cover all the angles
    ...will ring around equine places today and see if there is any place that might take him - thks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Personally id buy something younger if you have that concern
    And dont have land of your own to retire him to.
    If your son grows out of him in 3 yrs he will be 17 you will be footing bill wwhile you rehome him .
    Id get a 2 nd opinion about those growths under tail thou

monflat wrote: »
    Personally id buy something younger if you have that concern
    And dont have lsnd of yoyr own to retire him to.
    If your son grows out of him in 3 yrs he will be 17 you will be footing bill wwhile you rehome him .
    Id get a 2 nd opinion about those growths under tail thou

Chance would be a fine thing- I am a year looking for a suitable horse - I have been on to every sanctuary in Ireland- this horse might just be suitable as the timing may be right - I want to rehome it is a nice thing to do.
    The vet I understand has no issue with warts- at the very least a grade 2 vet report is required for horse insurance so that will be done fairly soon-
    The woman says she will take him back if things don't work out - as she is closing down I am just thinking of all the angles-

I Am sure that some of these no cull places etc - will take him- ? My son would be hugely upset re putting him down - that wont happen

• Advertisement

What height is your son and what height is the horse?

You want something that is right size for him now but yes take into account he may shoot up as teenage boys do :)

It is also about strength and build not just height though, like I am 5'3 and my horse is 15hh perfect size for me and he can sometimes get a bit strong (like if hacking out or xc and is a bit fresh or excited) I can manage him but I wouldn't on something that was like 16.2 as just a bigger horse even though height wise would be ok. If that makes sense.

Even with the most genuine people make sure to cover everything you and your son want and need in a horse; and be aware that although riding school horses are usually quiet and very safe they can also be very used to being in a group lesson situation and only hacking with a group etc so potentially might behave different if hacked alone or asked to lead etc.

Also a lot of the time riding school horses are getting more exercise/ridden for longer each day than privately owned horse, in general not in all cases, so if you go for this one get advice on any feeding changes you may need to make and how much horse will be ridden just so you don't end up with horse having too much energy.

When you go view, have someone else ride the horse first before your son, if you can bring an experienced person or if your son has a riding instructor with you that is always very helpful.

If possible its good if your son can tack up the horse, or at least watch the owner tack them up, take your time at the viewing, ask anything you want about the horse and simple things like seeing if horse good to have its feet picked up to be cleaned, what horse is like being caught in field or led etc.

I think manners and temperament are hugely important and even moreso when it will be a child or young persons horse that they are easy and good to take care of.

Get a 5 stage vetting no matter how lovely, genuine and honest the owner is before you buy.

Another thought, if you can't get someone else to go too, maybe take video of horse being ridden by your son and show to exp person or riding instructor.

Don't rush into anything and if you can get a trial do, I know some people not keen to give them and I respect why owners don't, it sometimes does take time to find the right first horse but better to wait and get the horse right for your son, that will be safe, healthy and he will enjoy and have fun and progress.

Best of luck, and lucky son to have a dad getting him a horse :D

Thks for all that very sensible advice-
    I was going to get a stage 2 exam done-
    I think I may get the stage 5 - done so to be sure. I will get a video done off him riding and perhaps show it here. Your very good. just one thing tho, i am just thinking when the horse becomes too small what will i do?! I cant afford to keep two down the road - i wouldnt dream of putting him him down or anything like that - thks

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Just be aware of how sharply the cost of a vetting rises once you go past 2 stage!!

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Just be aware of how sharply the cost of a vetting rises once you go past 2 stage!!

Yeah particularly if we dont take it-
    I was happy enough with a stage 2 as if pet insurance were happy enough thought it would be ok - they surely would not cover a horse - unless they were happy that a stage 2 gave sufficient clarification that horse was in reasonable condition-

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

I cant afford to keep two down the road - i wouldnt dream of putting him him down or anything like that - thks

Sorry to be harsh but maybe you shouldn't buy for a few years. Wait until your son has finished growing.
    Tbh I don't know why people buy horses with no long term plan in place - this is the reason why there are horses abandoned all over the country and the rescue centres are full to the brim.
    If for some reason I couldn't ride my mare anymore and I wasn't in a position finanacially to afford another well so be it my mare has a home for the rest of her life.
    Horses are not cars or motorbikes they are living breathing creatures with souls.

Perhaps you should go down the horse share or loan route. Why does your son "need" to own a horse.

The only other option long term you have is not to buy bigger until you sell. It will mean that your son will be without his own pony until you find a new one but if you're planning on buying another horse down the line but can't afford two, then your options are a bit limited.

lyoness wrote: »
    Sorry to be harsh but maybe you shouldn't buy for a few years. Wait until your son has finished growing.
    Tbh I don't know why people buy horses with no long term plan in place - this is the reason why there are horses abandoned all over the country and the rescue centres are full to the brim.
    If for some reason I couldn't ride my mare anymore and I wasn't in a position finanacially to afford another well so be it my mare has a home for the rest of her life.
    Horses are not cars or motorbikes they are living breathing creatures with souls.

Perhaps you should go down the horse share or loan route. Why does your son "need" to own a horse.

So your view would be if somebody hasnt land the child should do without basically- completely disagree with that-

He needs a horse as you put it as he has been around horses for the last five years-
    All his friends have a horse- he doesn't as I wanted to be absolutely certain he would make a happy caring thoughtful horse owner which he will shortly-
    Most likely soneone will be in my position in a couple if years and I may be able to do for them what I an trying to do now-

Most of the horses abandoned round the country are abandoned by dusgusting people who ill treat them - celtic tiger owners who now cant keep up with jones - housing estate kids not looking after the animals and other sections of the community-

My view is that is that if more people like myself who are researching the thing properly and about to make a horse a very happy home with an owner that will live him and- mind him like a baby - the horse world would be a much better place-

Never mind the healthy outdoor life with responsibilty

The only other option long term you have is not to buy bigger until you sell. It will mean that your son will be without his own pony until you find a new one but if you're planning on buying another horse down the line but can't afford two, then your options are a bit limited.

Sensible plan- that is along the lines im thinking thks

Sensible plan- that is along the lines im thinking thks

but what if you can't sell? You mentioned giving the horse to a rescue when its no longer wanted/outgrown by your son?

Thats why I suggested the share/load route. Loads of riding schools lease their ponies.

I understand you want to do the best by your son but you don't seem to know a lot about horses - you thought a cremello was a breed of horse.

I am not trying to to be harsh here I promise. I begged my dad every night going to bed for a pony when I was younger. I never got my pony even though we actually had land as he was a farmer.
    I understand now why he didn't and I actually commend him for it.
    He knew nothing about horses and after himself and my mam thought about it for a long time they decided against it. I am now glad they did. It would have broken my heart to have to sell the pony as I would have had to as it would have been outgrown, and also I wanted to study, go to uni etc.
    Horses are a huge responsibility and a lifetime commitment. If you can't support a horse for the rest of its life then IMO you should not buy one - or wait until your son has finished growing.
    Just because all your sons friends have horses is not a reason to buy a horse.
    And the places you are looking -
    rescue centres etc. are not the places to be looking for a sons first horse/pony.
    What if your son looses interest in a few years - it can happen.
    That,s why I think go down the loan/share route.

Seriously I am glad I waited to get my horse. I have full financial security knowing I can care for her no matter what and that she will always have a home with me.

lyoness wrote: »
    but what if you can't sell? You mentioned giving the horse to a rescue when its no longer wanted/outgrown by your son?

Thats why I suggested the share/load route. Loads of riding schools lease their ponies.

I understand you want to do the best by your son but you don't seem to know a lot about horses - you thought a cremello was a breed of horse.

I am not trying to to be harsh here I promise. I begged my dad every night going to bed for a pony when I was younger. I never got my pony even though we actually had land as he was a farmer.
    I understand now why he didn't and I actually commend him for it.
    He knew nothing about horses and after himself and my mam thought about it for a long time they decided against it. I am now glad they did. It would have broken my heart to have to sell the pony as I would have had to as it would have been outgrown, and also I wanted to study, go to uni etc.
    Horses are a huge responsibility and a lifetime commitment. If you can't support a horse for the rest of its life then IMO you should not buy one - or wait until your son has finished growing.
    Just because all your sons friends have horses is not a reason to buy a horse.
    And the places you are looking -
    rescue centres etc. are not the places to be looking for a sons first horse/pony.
    What if your son looses interest in a few years - it can happen.
    That,s why I think go down the loan/share route.

Seriously I am glad I waited to get my horse. I have full financial security knowing I can care for her no matter what and that she will always have a home with me.

Thks for your reply- I think I have explained where I m coming from as regards rescues etc- I M thrilled to bits for you- do remember you are just one person with youdrview I am another with mine- others may agree - disagree -

By the way my ignorance of this subject is why I am are fully researching it-

Im sure you too didnt know it all as you do now - when you started off -
    Each to their own-

Thks for your reply- I think I have explained where I m coming from as regards rescues etc- I M thrilled to bits for you- do remember you are just one person with youdrview I am another with mine- others may agree - disagree -

By the way my ignorance of this subject is why I am are fully researching it-

Im sure you too didnt know it all as you do now - when you started off -
    Each to their own-

no problem I guess I am being the devils advocate.
    Best of luck in the horse hunt.

• Advertisement

In lyoness's defence, I get where she's coming from. Abandoned horses weren't necessarily mistreated before they were abandoned. A lot of them were owners who turned a bad corner financially and were too ignorant in the ways of horses to turn them into a rescue, thinking horses can survive on their own. Much of what she said was quite valid from a horsey persons point of view and shouldn't necessarily be dismissed as one person with a view. :)

In lyoness's defence, I get where she's coming from. Abandoned horses weren't necessarily mistreated before they were abandoned. A lot of them were owners who turned a bad corner financially and were too ignorant in the ways of horses to turn them into a rescue, thinking horses can survive on their own. Much of what she said was quite valid from a horsey persons point of view and shouldn't necessarily be dismissed as one person with a view. :)

I agree with a lot of what she said- it is her point of view - she is very good to take the time to write that. My point is too that horse ownership can be a most enjoyable and rewarding enterprise whether you have a 100 acres or full time livery - thats all- I am just trying to keep to my thread without wandering off the point too much- appreciate your post

I can assure you my points have nothing to do with whether someone owns land or not my horse is in full livery I certainly do not own any land my dad used to some years ago.
    I am just trying to point out you need to look after the horses future.

Another suggestion is to make sure the pony you buy will be snapped up whenever your son outgrows him. This may mean that you will spend a lot more on the pony initially but if he is a good pony and does well etc in pony club etc you could probably pass him on through word of mouth and he will probably hold more value.

No not for me. I don't want to buy. I want to give a suitable horse that presently does not have a good home ....a good home. I have finally after 18 months of going around the country possibly found a suitable horse . That was from word of mouth. IT will be a perfect match...fingers crossed. I have no doubt that when my son outgrows him , another young person starting at this hobby at the place he will have the horse , would only be delighted to get him. If it doesn't work out I will go down the buying a horse road , I would rather get a safe horse and provide a happy home ... And taking one out of rescue or whatever will make me even happier. Having said that you make very valid points too.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

I cant afford to keep two down the road - i wouldnt dream of putting him him down or anything like that - thks

I agree with Lyoness, a horse is neither a toy nor a car and there are too many cases of animals (not only horses) being simply dumped when no longer needed. She won't be easy to rehome after a while.

You really have to put your figures together, having a horse is a real commitment, and as with any living creature you don't know what could happen and what money you could have to spend on vet bills in the next year, even before your son outgrows her (which will happen in no time at his age).

Basically, you need to plan ahead very carefully :), good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

No not for me. I don't want to buy. I want to give a suitable horse that presently does not have a good home ....a good home. I have finally after 18 months of going around the country possibly found a suitable horse . That was from word of mouth. IT will be a perfect match...fingers crossed. I have no doubt that when my son outgrows him , another young person starting at this hobby at the place he will have the horse , would only be delighted to get him. If it doesn't work out I will go down the buying a horse road , I would rather get a safe horse and provide a happy home ... And taking one out of rescue or whatever will make me even happier. Having said that you make very valid points too.

You obviously like horses and are trying to do a nice thing. Now, I am not sure that Rescues are a way to go with first time owners.
    Also, in another post you are mentioning minding horse like a baby, giving him a paradise home, and then re homing him? A horse IS actually a sensitive animal.. When you provide a good home you have to make sure he won't have to go back down the "bad home" road once you are done with him! :)

yes thks excellent points.....appreciate it..

thks to every one that has given their views. It is most helpful and informative.
    As a result: I have now come across a pony for sale ....and I will give a few details here and again any advice is much appreciated - (I think the re homing option has its issues - still a nice thing to do /me thinks!)

A Mare 6 years old , has had two foals , has come to my notice. This horse has been broken , but has had the last year"off" as such. There is a 17 year old riding her over jumps etc....at the mo. Its described as " bombproof" as in hasn't and doesn't spook. The owner has said that should it not work out , she is prepared to take it back.
    The owner also says that as with any youngster ...you will "have to school it on".... the place where my son rides at the Mo , can oblige to some degree here...

Now , I know that I should do the following:!!
    Watch the horse being jumped by the local rider. This is ok will be done.
    Get my son to ride , put on the saddle , bridle etc. , and watch the horse for negative habits...ideally get the horse on trial for a couple of weeks....
    and then of course .......Vet Check/passport/ vaccination's up to date etc..

my son has a certain degree of competence , but would be cautious. And has no problem , in taking his time and building the confidence of the horse. Its not the case that he wants to hop up on the saddle and start jumping he has as much fun mucking out , cleaning/grooming etc of the horse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

thks to every one that has given their views. It is most helpful and informative.
    As a result: I have now come across a pony for sale ....and I will give a few details here and again any advice is much appreciated - (I think the re homing option has its issues - still a nice thing to do /me thinks!)

A Mare 6 years old , has had two foals , has come to my notice. This horse has been broken , but has had the last year"off" as such. There is a 17 year old riding her over jumps etc....at the mo. Its described as " bombproof" as in hasn't and doesn't spook. The owner has said that should it not work out , she is prepared to take it back.
    The owner also says that as with any youngster ...you will "have to school it on".... the place where my son rides at the Mo , can oblige to some degree here...

Get my son to ride , put on the saddle , bridle etc. , and watch the horse for negative habits...ideally get the horse on trial for a couple of weeks....

my son has a certain degree of competence , but would be cautious. And has no problem , in taking his time and building the confidence of the horse. Its not the case that he wants to hop up on the saddle and start jumping he has as much fun mucking out , cleaning/grooming etc of the horse...

Ok fair play to you thou. You know what to do.
    I find it very hard for a mare to be only 6 bred 2 foals and to be described as bombproof.

But then again maybe ...
    See how it goes if she needs ongoin schoolin fair enough. Is your son ready for a green horse ?

• Advertisement

I've highlighted the parts of your post that has me going "errrmmmm....". Going by what you posted here, and here alone, it doesn't particularly sound like a suitable pony. In saying that, I could be entirely wrong and wouldn't know unless I seen the horse in action. However, if it was someone I knew that came up to me and told me what you've said, I would be cautioning them to be careful. It is your son's first horse and your son is a child. 6 is still quite young, even for a horse that has been worked for the last 3 years, never mind one that has reared two foals and taken a year off. I'm not saying not to do it OP, but take someone who knows exactly what they are doing and don't trust the word of the owner without testing it first. I know a cob who could be describe as completely bombproof (rescued from travelers in Dublin) but it takes him two seconds to notice what type of rider is on his back and less than a second to start acting up and pretending to spook towards a hedge that just happens to have food on it. Yet, if a good rider is on him, he wouldn't jump or spook at a thing. I would imagine a good rider could ride him down the middle of a main road without a problem.

Advertisement