Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for a horse for my son - advice appreciated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

monflat wrote: »
    Hard enuf to tell from that picture any more pictures ?
    Whats d description of it ?

Not sure yet- getting details in next few days- coming from another sanctuary! !
    I have been there before and owner knows type of horse I want- young lad was there before and they are careful matching horse/suitable riders-

Have another one thats for sale down the country - 2000 tho!! Ticks all the boxes- going to call in next week - will keep updated here - again thks to all for helpful advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

thks a mill ..that's nearly identical to my position. You are at the other end of the rainbow so to speak! I am delighted to hear things worked out fab for you I hope same for me..PS would you mind if I "PM" you if I had other queries , I would find it quite helpful to get advice from some one that has been down the same road that I am about to travel...thks again for your very informative and detaled reply

PM anytime, I'd be happy to help if I can

sup_dude wrote: »
    Can't really go by a picture alone without any information. By who's judgement is it broken and calm?

I understand this horse was left in a field. I am not sure of much else other than a young girl has been seen riding it , over the last few weeks.

Also the people in the place have considerable experience in breaking horses and dealing with them , and that's their initial opinion

any idea from the poor pic what type of horse she is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I understand this horse was left in a field. I am not sure of much else other than a young girl has been seen riding it , over the last few weeks.

Also the people in the place have considerable experience in breaking horses and dealing with them , and that's their initial opinion

any idea from the poor pic what type of horse she is

Could be any breed really
    Its coat looks fairly shiny n a bit of condition on it.
    Thats all i can say at the moment

However I would like to know more

thank you

• Advertisement

thank you

Hi here is another picture thks any opinions welcome

Hi here is another picture thks any opinions welcome

Again hard to tell would like to see her standin out with full shot of legs from side from front n from behind too.

But body condition lokks good for a horse who was left out to look after themselves.

How long horse been in n bein fed

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

The pictures don't give any information I'm afraid. Did you take those yourself - sorry if i missed it you already said so.

Fully body photos from different angles would be more useful as would action shots and videos of the horse in work doing various activities - or at least demonstratin some of its ability and personality so far. Any video of the girl you mentioned riding the horse?

What condition is the horse in overall? Any unsightly marks/scars/old wounds etc that may become problematic? How are his feet – has he being tended to regularly by a farrier ? Have you organised a vet to check him over, vet him and check him for soundness?

Regardless of how much you are going to spend on buying the horse, are you aware or prepared for how much you will have to spend to keep him? Buying a horse is the easy bit, keeping them is the crippling financial strain that many people just don't realise.

may06 wrote: »
    The pictures don't give any information I'm afraid. Did you take those yourself - sorry if i missed it you already said so.

Fully body photos from different angles would be more useful as would action shots and videos of the horse in work doing various activities - or at least demonstratin some of its ability and personality so far. Any video of the girl you mentioned riding the horse?

What condition is the horse in overall? Any unsightly marks/scars/old wounds etc that may become problematic? How are his feet – has he being tended to regularly by a farrier ? Have you organised a vet to check him over, vet him and check him for soundness?

Regardless of how much you are going to spend on buying the horse, are you aware or prepared for how much you will have to spend to keep him? Buying a horse is the easy bit, keeping them is the crippling financial strain that many people just don't realise.

I am fully aware of expenses- only looking for any view of pics- this is a long thread- I will update when I have more info thks

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

you can't tell a huge amount from pics unless they are proper conformation shots taken from the side and back. video would be better. even then there's no way to tell if you child is capable or suitable for the horse. I'd bring along an instructor when looking at them.

• Advertisement

I am fully aware of expenses- only looking for any view of pics- this is a long thread- I will update when I have more info thks

I would also advise you view/try out as many horses as possible before you make a final decision. Always best to widen your options and also have a more experienced knowledgeable person on board with you to guide you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

2012paddy2012,

Just a suggestion, it would probably help people here if the knew a bit more about your son & his riding level and what he wants to do with the horse.

What height is he? Roughly what weight is he or say whether he's a slight/heavy build?

On the riding side of things, maybe ask your son to give you description of his riding abilities, I'm guessing he can walk/trot, can he canter, has he hacked, ridden in fields, has he jumped & if so what height, has he jumped a course or single fences. What is the youngest horse he has ridden? What height horse does he most frequently ride?

When he gets the horse, what does he want to do with it, hacking, jump, dressage, cross country?

5foot in height -Son/slight build/he walks canter trots gallops/jumps /hacks/hunter trials jumping competitions:
    jumps about 90 cm ..ish .. he wants to do a bit of jumping/trials/local competitions/-general riding.

He is confident , but cautious. careful and responsible ..

he just loves horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Thread title changed with consent of OP

convert wrote: »
    Thread title changed with consent of OP

Op I sent you a pm on the 21/4 did u make contact with the recommended person

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Hi Op, Just a quick reminder that boards.ie can't vouch for any recommendations that you receive on this forum. As with anything, we recommend that you look into everything in as much detail as possible and speak to people you know and trust in the search for a horse for your son. The advice people give you here can be useful and beneficial, and give you much to think about, but unfortunately none of us know your situation or son's ability and so can only give suggestions and our own personal experience.

Op I sent you a pm on the 21/4 did u make contact with the recommended person

Did not get pm

Did not get pm

Right ok

You replied to me though

Right ok

You replied to me though

Who is the recommend person? Dont recall thks

Got those details many thks

• Advertisement

Any initial view on what type of horse this
    One is ? Thks paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Any initial view on what type of horse this
    One is ? Thks paddy

That just looks like a coloured light cob and quite strong. From the picture (and I'm on my phone so take this with a pinch of salt) it looks conformationally sound enough for what you intend. Can it be caught?

sup_dude wrote: »
    That just looks like a coloured light cob and quite strong. From the picture (and I'm on my phone so take this with a pinch of salt) it looks conformationally sound enough for what you intend. Can it be caught?

Thks- yes it has a lovely personality and quiet- in 6 weeks it will be ready to ride- after that it will require to be brought on re jumping etc- and that is arranged- 6
    years old.i know all the pro/cons etc!
    The woman who has agreed to give us the horse will not under any circumstances give it out if for any reason something shows up that would rule the horse out for rehoming during the 6-7 weeks of training starting tomorrow and also after viewing the young lad on a horse at her place she feels he is not sufficiency competent that will rule out rehome also- its still up in the air but if all goes well it may be a runner - excuse the pun- the owner at the mo has 40 years experience of equine and a solid reputation. I know that this person knows what she is doing and has the way with all required to make this work - its fingers crossed - its a two week trial initially and if happy after that well and good if not can be returned without difficulty.

Thks- yes it has a lovely personality and quiet- in 6 weeks it will be ready to ride- after that it will require to be brought on re jumping etc- and that is arranged- 6
    years old.i know all the pro/cons etc!
    The woman who has agreed to give us the horse will not under any circumstances give it out if for any reason something shows up that would rule the horse out for rehoming during the 6-7 weeks of training starting tomorrow and also after viewing the young lad on a horse at her place she feels he is not sufficiency competent that will rule out rehome also- its still up in the air but if all goes well it may be a runner - excuse the pun- the owner at the mo has 40 years experience of equine and a solid reputation. I know that this person knows what she is doing and has the way with all required to make this work - its fingers crossed - its a two week trial initially and if happy after that well and good if not can be returned without difficulty.

Why are you going/intent on purchasing such a horse?? 6-7 weeks training is all that is...its the months and years of training that comes after that which is equally as important. Can I ask what is preventing you from going out & purchasing a horse that has 'being there, done that' so to speak?? Why purchase an unbroken, unknown entity that you have no idea what way is going to turn out?

Why are you going/intent on purchasing such a horse?? 6-7 weeks training is all that is...its the months and years of training that comes after that which is equally as important. Can I ask what is preventing you from going out & purchasing a horse that has 'being there, done that' so to speak?? Why purchase an unbroken, unknown entity that you have no idea what way is going to turn out?

Any recommendations?!

Any recommendations?!

For the sake of your sons confidence and safety purchase something that will give him confidence and something that has lots done.

I just can't understand people buying young horses or green horses as a first.

AS suggested here on this thread lots of times before something safe with experience will go a long way with your son

Any recommendations?!

No, Definately not on this on this forum would i recommend.
    So why go down the young, unbroken route that needs breaking when there are plenty of other options out there, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

No, Definately not on this on this forum would i recommend.
    So why go down the young, unbroken route that needs breaking when there are plenty of other options out there, out of interest?

I think the OP wants a pony for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, you say you know and you know but it's difficult to not wonder if you really do, based on the information you've given here. From what I have gathered, you have a young son who has only rode school ponies to date. You don't have a long term plan for a pony so need to sell it on later. So far, you are fixed on buying a pony just broken or with only a few weeks of work done. Would this be correct?
    If that is the case, I just want to tell you my experience. Please bare in mind that I am most likely not the most experienced person on this forum. I have been involved with breaking (from not having anyone on until they accept a rider and bit and can walk and stop) horses and ponies of all sorts for years, the number of breakers alone is over a hundred (but too many to count for exact). In that number, the amount of horses or ponies I would have trusted enough to put a child on after is one. Just one. And even at that, not a child straight off school ponies.
    With schoolers (trot, canter, jump), those stats don't improve much. For re-schoolers (broken and school but out of work for quite a while), though more horses are suitable, it opens up even more room for problems such as dangerous habits. Especially if there was a reason the horse was put off work in the first place.
    I know this is just a bunch of writing on a screen and yes, we are limited as we don't know your son nor any potential horse but given the information here, your son is by many accounts, still a beginner. A school pony is not the same as another pony. Your son may be fine on a school horse, it does not make him fine on another horse which is why first ponies are usually still quiet. They just have a bit more life than a school horse.
    Now, I know we said aim young if you want to resell but we were think more 7-12 years old, that have been in work for most of that time. 6 is a push and only if that pony is quiet. Put it this way, you want to resell the horse. Get one just broken and with limit experience to bring on by a beginner is not going to sell in the end. Why? Because you need experience not to destroy a young horse and very few people want to fix a pony as teaching a pony and fixing other peoples work is two entirely different things. However, something that has done it all is more likely to stay quiet and therefore resell.
    I read a bit of a tongue in cheek quote the last day which applies here "we have fast horses for fast riders, we have slow horses for slow riders and we have beginner horses for beginner riders". It was a joke, putting beginner riders on beginner horses rarely ends well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

I cannot believe you are considering something that is just in process of being broken in for your son!! Madness, safety etc should come first. My daughters pony was 11 & had been there done that & is as safe as houses... why on earth would you want something super green as a " first pony"?????

Advertisement