Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Gold membership required to access Netflix and other apps from June

• 13-05-2014 9:42pm

As the title says from June 9th you will no longer need a Gold membership to access entertainment apps on Xbox consoles. (about time)

Microsoft will also be selling a Kinect-free version of Xbox One.

Confirmed reports of this from Yahoo and PC World websites as well as dedicated gaming sites cvg and ign

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Will this include the Skygo app on 360 I wonder?
    There's no mention of it anywhere.

I'm actually thinking that the fact there hs been no mention of SkyGo from Microsoft they could be about to lose that app.

Sony have said a SkyGo app is coming to PS4 this summer. I wonder have Sony shelled out to have it exclusively on Playstation?

I would imagine the Sky app will be included as it is one of the entertainment apps available for the Xbox.

As for Microsoft losing the Sky app I think this is doubtful, Sky would only be affecting their own customers.
    In the coming months they will have their app on Sony consoles which will allow even more customers to access the service. It is in their interest to have their app on as many devices as possible.

I agree with what you're saying but do you not find it strange that SkyGo wasn't mentioned in the list of apps? Surely it's up there with Netflix in popularity.

Or maybe Sky has an issue with it being made free to all Xbox accounts. I don't see how or why as I would've thought all the gold subs go directly to Microsoft.

Maybe it's just a case that Microsoft are still in negotiations with Sky on the issue. They'll want it on XBox One at the same time as PS4 surely.

Actually looking at that statement, it's US biased so that's probably why SkyGo isn't listed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I thought Xbox isn't getting the Sky app due to a little courtroom spat over the Skydrive or "One" Drive name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

So does this mean I can watch rte player without buying xbox live gold sub now? My sub has run out.
    Any update on the Sky app? Is it available without xbox live sub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

toby2111 wrote: »
    So does this mean I can watch rte player without buying xbox live gold sub now? My sub has run out.
    Any update on the Sky app? Is it available without xbox live sub?

As far as I know all entertainment apps were covered under the changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

If you already have a Gold sub (like me) and only use the Xbox for a media player then you can get a refund of your remaining months (I will have 7 months refund due so maybe I will get €15 or back)

Microsoft Offering Xbox Live Gold Refunds After The Paywall Comes Down

From Microsoft’s FAQ:

“Once the Xbox One and Xbox 360 system updates become available in June, Xbox Live Gold members who purchased a paid membership before that day can cancel and receive a pro-rata refund of any unused remaining days between the date of cancellation and the date their paid Gold membership ends.

“Cancellation and pro-rata refund requests must be made by August 31, 2014 and require six to eight weeks for processing. Free or trial Gold memberships are not eligible for a refund. To request your pro-rata refund, please click support.xbox.com/contact-us after the system updates become available in June.”

Microsoft have now released an update for Xbox 360 and Xbox One which should remove the Gold requirement for the entertainment apps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

So can anyone confirm that Sky Go is now available without Gold?will cancel my membership if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Not sure about Sky Go but Netflix is working without it. It's annoying though cause you still need to connect to Xbox Live, so if it's down (which it is now), you cannot watch Netflix etc.

So can anyone confirm that Sky Go is now available.
    Yeh, if like to know that also..... Anyone try it yet?

Sky Go is confirmed as one of the entertainment apps. Check out the link below which lists all of the Xbox 360 and Xbox One apps included (you will need to select Ireland from the list of countries obviously)

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/my-account/xbox-live-membership/live-apps-faq?icid=furl_liveappsfaq#630a0741ccd0402fb212dee02f4bb890

Sky confirmed to work without a Gold subscription. I just tried it now and watching the rugby on Sky Sports without a Gold Sub but you have to be signed in to a Live account obviously.

Also great that it now has all the ITVs on the Sky app including the new ITV Encore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Sky confirmed to work without a Gold subscription. I just tried it now and watching the rugby on Sky Sports without a Gold Sub but you have to be signed in to a Live account obviously.

Also great that it now has all the ITVs on the Sky app including the new ITV Encore

Will ITV work in Ireland? Ive a feeling we wont have access to it. Think theres some licensing reason behind it. Not working for me at the minute anyways.

Yeh, I can't view itv on sky go through the xbox so I presume I can't watch itv encore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

What date does this actually start from? My gold has ran out now but I can't open skygo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's been available since last Friday at least anyway.

joe123 wrote: »
    Will ITV work in Ireland? Ive a feeling we wont have access to it. Think theres some licensing reason behind it. Not working for me at the minute anyways.

Ya looks like ITV wont work - pity as the Xbox and Sky app are great and with ITV it would have a great line up of stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement