Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible Ping: League of Legends between 7-12 EVERY night.

Options
  • 13-05-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am posting here to highlight the issue with throttling connections to a popular game called League of Legends. I am running trace routes periodically throughout the day to bring to light the issue.

I got this broadband mostly to play games on and it just happens that you throttle the connection to Riot Games' League of Legends servers between this time, anything else I play is just fine, no issues at all.

Can you give me some insight into the reasoning behind you throttling it and what you're going to do about it?

For other people reading this, Riot have issued a batch file that you can run that will run trace routes to the servers and provide a log, this is what i am running at different times throughout the day to track the issue. If people wish to run the trace route it is located here from an official Riot employee.

http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1567890

Cheers,
    Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Prankzyy

Same issue here, around 180/200 ping every night between 7 and 12. Been happening for the past couple of months and starting to get stressful now not being able to play some games when i get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Yep I get this too from around 7 - 11.30 every night my ping jumps from 60~ to constant 160~ its pretty ridiculous considering we have a business line, I know the a lot of friends(if not all I'm not quite sure) who are on eircom and have the same problem. 

I dont want to come across as bitter but I know if was paying the bill and not my parents theres no way in hell I'd be going with eircom, it seems to me like its the ISP for old people that arent in the know staying loyal to their brand (eircom/telecom eireann).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sarge

Same thing for me. My ping went up to 400 today at around 7. 200 has been normal for me for the past 3 weeks, from 6 - 12. It's not just league of legends either, but I've had issues with youtube and twitch. It's very annoying as none of my friends have any issues at all, only me. Probably because they're on a different ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Yeah very poor ping every night between these hours, and it's often throughout the day. I usually have 40-60 ping but recently its been up at 160 nonstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Updated the original post with a link to the trace route directly from Riot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Same problem here, had it for 2 months on NGB because of congestion. 
    Switched to eFibre and was fine for a few months .Now the ping problems are back, pings to UK are fine but the rest of EU is 150+ in the evenings. My speeds are fine its just pings around 7 - 12.

They have been notified of the problem by many people and nothing has been done or will be.
    Many have posted on there forums about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Disco Damo

Glad I came across this thread, I am getting awful ping on Eircom, in the evening when I get home from work. I was thinking about upgrading to the eFiber, in the hopes that would solve the problem. But clearly, given the responses here they are throttling Riots servers for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nierv

I have had this issue for the last two months (ish)

I work in IT myself so obvsiously the chance of a problem on my end are relatively slim, especially considering that so many other people are posting here.
    I have an engineer coming out to the house sometime this week, so I guess this has to be resolved somewhere along the line.

Anyone else had an engineer out to their house?

Also - see this thread - community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Slow-speeds-at-peak-times/td-p/60996/highlight/true/page/23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It's actually getting worse lately. This isn't isolated to LoL either, just incase Eircom decide to spin that web

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

are you sure this isnt good ol fashion contention?

My internet is poor between those times too, and im not playing LOL

• Advertisement

Pretty sure this is targeted. My speeds are pretty consistent on everything else, even with contention. I never have problems with anything else. I'm not saying that there couldn't be a completely innocent excuse, but it seems very unlikely. 

are you sure this isnt good ol fashion contention?

My internet is poor between those times too, and im not playing LOL
    nah my ping will stay at 170 and then as soon as it hits 11.30 it'll go straight back down to 50 and stay there, every day

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nve

Made an account just to post about this.

Been with eircom broadband for the last ~8 years. I experienced a lot of frustration due to the high ping in League of Legends recently and ultimately switched to Sky broadband despite eFibre coming to my area soon, which I was pretty excited about. I would love to use eFibre when it is available here. However if I am unable to play LoL with less than 90 ping consistently, during any hour of the day or night, eircom will not be suitable for me.

I suppose it may not just be restricted to League because I generally play other games that probably connect me to UK servers, either way its irritating as hell when I cannot play a peak times.

So much for 16 hour response time and 99% answer rate.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

98mi7.jpg

there ya go. friday afternoon and eircom goes to sh*te.

its a real mystery isn't it

the lag has kicked in later than usual the past two days which is nice, still pretty bad though to be fair

Trying to get any information from Eircom is like squeezing blood from a stone, issues to Germany have been going on since September of last year without any resolution, its only lately the issues to France, NL etc have been occurring more regularly which results in the lag people are seeing in league of legends. It's possible to tunnel to Germany and achieve good latency but only when the routing to France is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sarge

The times have changed for me. I'll have 400+ ping from 2-5. After that everything is fine until around 9. This has to be on Eircom's side.

Bump. 12 hour response time is creeping up slowly at the rate this thread is being ignored.

• Advertisement

I'm getting pretty pissed off at the lack of response to this, can you pull the finger out please Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nierv

n1ck wrote: »
    I'm getting pretty pissed off at the lack of response to this, can you pull the finger out please Eircom?
    I don't think you'll find a worthwhile answer here,
    I would suggest pestering their technical support and making the issue know, for example I have an engineer coming out tomorrow, who I know will find out pretty easily its not on my side.

I've been waiting for a response since September, don't hold your breath 

The engineers etc calling out are how they delay the situation, once all possible paths are explored they just ignore you

Can the reps give us an update on this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

congestion at peak times I would imagine! Eircom are happy to take on new customers but not upgrade their systems for all the extra capacity. Will only upgrade if they get enough complaints from a single area!

Congestions at peak times? That's bull****. Pings are fine until it hits 7:00 every night, then they suck till exactly 11:30 every night.

Same crack tonight , had a disconnect and when it came back the routing was terrible everywhere again

I'm guessing the 11 hour response time and 91% response rate doesn't count for the customers who are having problems with their service that eircom actually enforces. I would love if a UPC rep or someone came on here and started boasting about how they dont f**k up their customers who actually use the internet for anything other then basic surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Its unbelievable this hasn't been fixed. I used to get a great ping of 29 on pingtest and 0 to 1 jitter.

Now its between 60 and 70 ping 17 to 18 jitter. My line is unsuitable for the things i do no, like gaming.

You get over this if the service was cheap, but its not, you pay for it heavily..

I'm wishing the day ESB takes over and comes to my area. So i can get rid of Eircom and the crappy service they've given me for the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

BMMachine wrote: »
    98mi7.jpg

there ya go. friday afternoon and eircom goes to sh*te.

its a real mystery isn't it
    Its the Galway server again. Everyone seems to be having issues with it. The problem is there how they not fixing it?

Advertisement