Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding ag science and biology

• 13-05-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

My brother is selecting his lc subjects this week and was wondering if its possible to take biology and ag science and use them both for points? I know you're not allowed take the separate physics subject and chemistry subject along with the combined physics and chemistry, so was wondering if the same applied for ag science and biology?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

I have a friend that is doing ag and biology for the lc next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Some courses dont allow you to combine the two for points as the couses are so similar, so i would reccomend looking into what course he wants to study after the lc

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Huell wrote: »
    Some courses dont allow you to combine the two for points as the couses are so similar, so i would reccomend looking into what course he wants to study after the lc

yeah I was thinking that too, but neither of us can find where the courses he's interested in actually state that. He's looking at medicine, science and a few biochem courses in tcd and ucd... any link to where this is clarified would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm doing medicine in TCD and did ag science and biology, you are allowed to use both for points, but they can't both be used to meet the requirement of 2 lab science subjects (I also had chem and physics). So yes you can do them, but you would need chem or physics in addition.

I don't know of any courses off the top of my head that don't let you count them both for points, I don't think any don't allow you for points purposes, but that subject thing applies in a few places. Would quote it but I'm on my phone.

Check the college prospecti before you make any decisions, all the info is there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Candidates may not take any of the following subject combinations:

1. Physics and Chemistry and either of the separate subjects, Physics or Chemistry.
    2. Economics and Agricultural Economics.
    3. Classical Studies and Latin.
    4. Classical Studies and Ancient Greek.

Description of Certificate Exams | SEC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 LaurenC7

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    My brother is selecting his lc subjects this week and was wondering if its possible to take biology and ag science and use them both for points? I know you're not allowed take the separate physics subject and chemistry subject along with the combined physics and chemistry, so was wondering if the same applied for ag science and biology?

I am doing both Biology and Ag science for the leaving this week so you can do both but as for courses Im not too sure :)

Advertisement