Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 5 – May 14th, Taranto - Viggiano 203km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
  • 13-05-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭

Stage 5 – Wednesday May 14th, Taranto - Viggiano 203km (***)

Right, we should see a decent bit of action today. The riders will tackle the first Cat. 3 climb of this year’s race, Valico di Serra San Chirico. It's 8km long with an average gradient of 4.2%. The stage should get interesting with 20km to go. There is a Cat. 4 climb up to the finish line, then a technical descent, followed by the same ascent again. The gradients are only about 4%, but the last few hundred metres are at 6%. This shouldn't be a tough enough finish to trouble any of the GC contenders. It's a great stage for some of the super-domestiques to take some glory. Michael Matthews should be there or there abouts as well, and should manage to stay in pink.

Map:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_05.jpg?v=20140508173134

Profile:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_05.jpg?v=20140508173130

Last kilometres:

ukm_05.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive]%20%20--%3E

Weather - Taranto: Windy with a few clouds from time to time. High 19C. Winds NW at 40 to 55 kph. Viggiano: Rain showers in the morning, then partly cloudy and windy in the afternoon. High near 13C. Winds NW at 25 to 40 kph. Chance of rain 40%.

Betting odds: Diego Ulissi 6/1; Michael Matthews 6/1; Joaquim Rodriguez 9/1; Enrico Gasparotto 14/1; Rigoberto Uran 14/1.

Live TV coverage on Eurosport1 from 1.30pm. Highlights on Sky Sports 3 at 8pm and Eurosport1 at midnight.

Live text ticker here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I love the look of that profile, could be a lot of fun. I fancy Uran to go for glory, good chance for him to consolidate his early position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Purrito has to go on the attack here looks like it suits him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

First week of last year's Giro was joyously chaotic & exciting, looks like this should be the first repeat of that kind of racing this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Dan Moreno or Diego Ulissi are good on this type of finish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I love the look of that profile, could be a lot of fun. I fancy Uran to go for glory, good chance for him to consolidate his early position.

I would agree here, I think Uran has looked very good recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

It looks a bit too easy for Rodriguez but I think Moreno is going to put on some hurt near the finish and give Rodriguez every chance. If Mathews is in the lead group near the top he wins,but I don't think he will be. I'd give EBH good shot at it here and I think Battaglin will give it a fair go too.I can't see Uran winning it, too many puncher climbers who are far better suited to this type of finish.

Of course the race passes Dominico Pozzovivo's home town so expect him to have a go to.......has to make up time lost in TT

Afternoon all, we're live again :)

Peloton's chugging along fairly quickly, this is going to be a tiring day at this rate. Not 100% sure on the breakaway situation, no graphic up yet for what gap is.

Lots of sprinters gone in the break, less than 2 minutes in it

The 11 riders in the break are: Elia Viviani (Cannondale), Ben Swift (Team Sky), Tyler Farrar and Fabian Wegmann (Garmin-Sharp), Miguel Angel Rubiano (Colombia), Tony Hurel and Bjorn Thurau (Europcar), Marco Frapporti (Androni Giocattoli), Yonathan Monsalve (Neri Sottoli), Kenny Dehaes and Tosh Van der Sande (Lotto-Belisol).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Cycling news tour tracker has it a 4 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Afternoon all, we're live again :)

Peloton's chugging along fairly quickly, this is going to be a tiring day at this rate. No breakaway it seems.

There was an 11rider break earlier, with Swift, Vivani, in it.

Hard to how tough the finish is, Matthews has apparently been targeting this stage, so I don't see much happening GC wise, apart from the odd 8-12 second split somewhere.

Bukman13 wrote: »
    There was an 11rider break earlier, with Swift, Vivani, in it.

Hard to how tough the finish is, Matthews has apparently been targeting this stage, so I don't see much happening GC wise, apart from the odd 8-12 second split somewhere.

In his diary today Nico said that he sees the pink jersey changing hands...so many sprinters int he break inc Swift that they must think finale is too hard

Purito needs every second he can get, so I expect Katusha to go flat out on the 2nd to last hill. If any sprinter can get over that hill they have a good chance imo.

Peloton breathing down the neck of the breakaway as they approach the climb up to Viggiano, 26km left. 4 from the breakaway have fought on by themselves, the rest are being swallowed up.

Good seeing Tinkoff so close to the front, Roche might fancy the finish. He usually does relatively well in these short 6-10% climbs

Few Saxo lads in a crash, hopefully Nico not involved

Nico is safe. Deignan and Pozzovivo caught behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Bjorn Thurau
    sounds like a character from Game Of Thrones

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

They must be sick of this weather. The roads look like glass.

Wiggins is gone out the back.

• Advertisement

pelevin wrote: »
    Wiggins is gone out the back.

Wiggins is in California I think..

Wiggins is in California I think..

I must have been getting my Giros mixed up. What year is it again?

Nico's come to the front with 1 km to go

Well that's the shortest attack I've ever seen, Katusha were having none of that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just saw the live update. How bad was it?

Ulissi, Evans, Arredondo (?)

Good move by Evans, there's big splits there. Could be some big losers.

That was strange from Roche, appeared to have nothing left at all when he attacked.

Uran was 4th across the line, Michael Matthews, Rafal Majka and Nico Roche were also in that group.

• Advertisement

Ulissi, Evans, Arredondo (?)

Yea looked like that. Don't think there were any splits from Evans down to the next 30riders.

Advertisement