Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 5 – May 14th, Taranto - Viggiano 203km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

I'd far prefer a stage win for Roche than a top 10 finish in GC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Bukman13 wrote: »
    The final week suits Majka much more, he is a better climber than Roche. Roche's form is still in doubt, he was in top condition in last years Vuelta and there was still 7/8 riders better than him on the long climbs. I can see Roche maybe hanging in there on the 2 mountain stages this week (stage 8 & 9), then a solid TT could keep him in the top 5.

Look at stages 14, 15,16,18,19(TT), and 20. They are all tough climbing days, if you are not on top form you are going to lose minutes on some of those stages. Hopefully he can peak in the final week but I just can't see it at htis moment, He could still get a top 10 but I doubt Tinkoff are too interested in a top 10 if Majka is fighting for a podium.

I don't agree that Majka is a better climber ....he is better on some climbs
    He was 7th in last years Giro while Roche was 5th in a far superior field at Vuelta
    Roche has a better TT and more of a chance of winning a stage ... I haven't seen Majka win a stage ever ???? They both finished on same time today and Majka leads cos of Nico's puncture in Dublin

Of course Roche has very variable form and nearly always has a bad day but I think he is as a good a rider as his younger team mate

Of course they can both ride well but if your DSs and team mates are riding for someone else it doesn't do your confidence much and sometimes its confidence that can make the difference especially in Roche's case ....just remember that his what his Dad said to him before the Giro ...'keep your confidence'

TBH I would like to see him change teams when his contract is up this year...Don't like Tinkoff and if you are the leader but not the leader then its not on......no one is after all a co leader with Evans or Scarponi or Basso

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Are there any teams looking for a stage racer? Where would he fit in? Off topic I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

happytramp wrote: »
    I'd far prefer a stage win for Roche than a top 10 finish in GC.

Exactly, if he can't challenge for at least a top 5 he should forget about the GC altogether, there are a few good chances in the final week for a breakaway to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Exactly, if he can't challenge for at least a top 5 he should forget about the GC altogether, there are a few good chances in the final week for a breakaway to win.

How do you know he can't target top 5.....you don't and I guess he doesn't either

Might be an idea to back him rather than constantly pointing out what you think he can't do

• Advertisement

MPFG wrote: »
    I don't agree that Majka is a better climber ....he is better on some climbs
    He was 7th in last years Giro while Roche was 5th in a far superior field at Vuelta
    Roche has a better TT and more of a chance of winning a stage ... I haven't seen Majka win a stage ever ???? They both finished on same time today and Majka leads cos of Nico's puncture in Dublin

Of course Roche has very variable form and nearly always has a bad day but I think he is as a good a rider as his younger team mate

Of course they can both ride well but if your DSs and team mates are riding for someone else it doesn't do your confidence much and sometimes its confidence that can make the difference especially in Roche's case ....just remember that his what his Dad said to him before the Giro ...'keep your confidence'

TBH I would like to see him change teams when his contract is up this year...Don't like Tinkoff and if you are the leader but not the leader then its not on......no one is after all a co leader with Evans or Scarponi or Basso

I just think Majka is more suited to the longer steep climbs in the final week, and his form seems to be a lot better. Don't get me wrong I'd love Roche to hit top form and get a podium - Top 5, but I just think there is too much climbing in this Giro for him to compete until the end. He always has at least one bad day, and if he does he will lose minutes. I hope I'm wrong.

Tinkoff will support both until one loses a significant amount of time.

Roche is a better TTer than him for sure, so he could easily gain a minute or more on Majka, but that won't automatically put him ahead of Majka in the pecking order. I expect the final GC to have some pretty big gaps with the amount of climbing. Who ever is the strongest in the final week will be gaining significant time on 4/5 stages.

MPFG wrote: »
    How do you know he can't target top 5.....you don't and I guess he doesn't either

Might be an idea to back him rather than constantly pointing out what you think he can't do

I said "if he can't". All I'm saying is he should be aiming for a Top 5, but if its clear he won't top 5 he should put his focus elsewhere instead of struggling to make a top 10.

He already has a GT top 5, so a top 10 is not really that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I be worried at how quickly nico emptied today when he went to front. hope not tho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I be worried at how quickly nico emptied today when he went to front. hope not tho

He's riding into better legs!

Advertisement