Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DID Electrical treated me like dirt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

jmtc8 wrote: »
    @OP, I was intending to go to the DID Galway store tomorrow but after reading your account I will definitely be going elsewhere. <SNIP> sounds like a very cheap, nasty man whose <SNIP> position has gone slightly to his head.

You are completely right to insist on an apology from this person. He could so easily have said what he thought in the quiet and in a much more customer friendly manner but instead chose to mortify you in front of your wife and everybody else. Sounds like a right control nut. Its 0.67 cents for Gods sake. DID will have lost a lot of custom over 0.67 cents. Approximately €450 from me for starters.

I hope you get what you are looking for and don't take his comments to heart. He obviously has something going on in his head.

Best of luck

Thank you for your comment.
    I respectfully suggest that you should go to DID Galway tomorrow and negotiate. If they're not playing ball you could then mention my situation, I'm sure they're all aware of it. If you can use it for bargaining power then please be my guest. Best of luck with the shopping and I hope you come away satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭greasepalm

been shopping with did for over 30 years and getting most of my gear locally and know all the staff and their humor,so i would think <SNIP> had a very bad day all round and should not acted that way to any customer or not,word gets around how bad they treat people will hurt D I D,one bad apple in the barrel affects all in the end so would have hoped you might have got an apology or something even vouchers to say how sorry this had effected you both.
    i do wish for a brighter future ahead for you both of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ezopsae

Pretty pathetic that someone deliberately goes into a store short of money. When they don't get what they want, they post online to damage the business as much as possible. The mind boggles at the entitlement attitude of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bagels wrote: »
    We went to DID Electrical Galway to buy a much-needed microwave that cost €54.99.

When I went to pay I found I was 67 cents short of the asking price.
    So you went in to buy a microwave that you knew was X price, but brought in Y amount of money? Having had to balance a till out of my own pocket int he past (before I knew my rights), I'm going to side with the person who sold you the microwave.

Also, you may not do this often, but a few people, once they know they can haggle one item, generally try to haggle everything. I'm sure it's not the first time he heard your excuse, but I'd say after mortifying them, they don't try the same trick again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I know it is hard living on your pension but if the assistant treated you so badly why on earth did you accept his money. You say you couldnt get a word in edgeways but you could have left the microwave on the counter and walked out leaving him look stupid and you with a bit of dignity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

the_syco wrote: »
    So you went in to buy a microwave that you knew was X price, but brought in Y amount of money? Having had to balance a till out of my own pocket int he past (before I knew my rights), I'm going to side with the person who sold you the microwave.

Also, you may not do this often, but a few people, once they know they can haggle one item, generally try to haggle everything. I'm sure it's not the first time he heard your excuse, but I'd say after mortifying them, they don't try the same trick again.

I wouldnt wish to be a sales person of any sort not an easy job id imagine, and i know some people could would drive jesus to drink but all <SNIP> had to do was say sorry that is the price, we have x model for so much if you'd like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

ezopsae wrote: »
    Pretty pathetic that someone deliberately goes into a store short of money.

What compassion!

The reaction of the staff member doesn't sound like it was proportionate to the circumstances that saw the poor lad needing a 1.2% discount. They'd have made less money off him if he paid full price on a credit card, for example.

Judging by the strength of your comment, you're not a fan of proportionate responses, anyway!

I think it's fair to say (judging by the OP's reasoned and well-spoken description, only, obviously) that this case would be noticeably different (to staff members) than someone chancing their arm for a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I could argue that you naming and shaming a person on a forum is as bad as you feel his behavior was towards you.

He probably handled it poorly but we all have bad days, hell bad hours in a day, his points are valid as are your own that he handled it badly.

Certainly could have been called even, certainly you could have simply said, "oh, I don't know have enough, I better do X and Y" after he rebuffed your first offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Surprised the 67c wasn't just wiped off the balance. Discounts are entirely up to staff and just need managers approval in d.i.d. Workers get commission on sales but discounts look bad so each staff member tries not to discount unless it's a large sale , now in fairness 67c isn't going to make a massive difference to the guy on the till, in fact he would have been better off to put the discount through the till than take it from his own pocket if he was going to be picky like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SSD2014

Next time look for a microwave thats 54 quid and stop being an entitled whinger.

Theres people with far less than 250 a week to support themselves who dont go around starting a personal negative media campaign everytime they get refused a discount.

Consumer issue me arse. More like whinger issue.

• Advertisement

Sorry you had to endure that experience OP, and also the pathetic replies from the likes of the poster above me who will only call you a whinger because it's the internet and he's anonymous.

You were obviously in bad need of that microwave, and I know hindsight is a great thing, but you should have not let it get that far. I was surprised to read at the end that you still left with the microwave despite the harsh treatment.

As other posters have said, you probably got all you are going to get from DID in terms of an apology. Think about it, if Mr. Snip apologises it is only because he was made to and there'll be as much sincerity and compassion behind it as there is behind the response above this post...none. Personally I wouldn't want to see or hear from him again.

Mr. Snip was well within his rights to deny a discount, but not to humiliate you. Vote with your feet and wallet OP and try to put this behind you, I think it is the best you can do here.

hfallada wrote: »
    I know from working retail, that if the till is short that the employee pays for the difference and not the company. I have had managers in the past giving out that the till is 50 cent short

DID IMO are an excellent retailer. They Irish owned and competitive. In my local store there is very little staff turnover (unusual in retail, meaning their staff is happy). People have their days and unfortunately the employee lost it with you. There is plenty of times were I have wanted to lose it with an employee but didnt. The employee just needs to learn to kept their cool. I cant see DID being able to do anything better for you

The employee had no reason to lose it with me. I was polite and calm throughout and did nothing to provoke him. I treated him with the utmost courtesy, when I was able to get a word in.
    This employee is an ambassador for DID Electrical and his performance is supposed to mirror company policy. He acts in their name and as such his actions should not bring the name of the company into disrepute. He's done wrong by me and by the company who employs him. He owes me an apology and owes one to his employer also. If senior management at DID Electrical can't see that, then their heads must be buried in the sand.

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you not see the company apologising as having a greater impact then <SNIP>?

I complained in the past when I was subject to discrimination by an employee of a company I was interviewed by, to their HR director, said employee lost his job as a result.

DID may change their procedures/investigate the employee as a result of your complaint?

It took me three months to get an apology in writing from the company (in an email) but it doesn't clarify what the apology is for, see here for yourself:
    "At DID Electrical; we are passionate about delivering superior customer service all day, every day to all of our customers. On this occasion however this was not the case, please accept my sincerest apologies".
    Are they apologising for the way the employee treated me or are they apologising for failing to respond to my original complaint?
    That's why I don't see the company's ambiguous apology as having a greater impact than an apology from the employee.
    I'm not asking for heads to roll, all I want is an apology from the person who treated me like dirt, nothing more, nothing less.
    At this late stage I no longer have any confidence in DID changing their procedures or properly dealing with my complaint.

dee_mc wrote: »
    It certainly sounds as though <SNIP> treated you rudely, I'm not disputing that, but I'd love if you would fill in a few blanks for me:

a) Why do you want an apology? By the sound of things <SNIP> is fairly jumped up, and an apology forced by higher management will presumably be insincere, so do you think it will actually make you feel better, or that he will realise the error of his ways?

b) Was the microwave you chose on special offer at the time? I work in retail and have come up against irate customers requesting/expecting an additional discount on already discounted items (which we can't issue, as it's against store policy)

c) Why didn't you just come back another day with your 67c?

a) An apology forced out of him by higher management might humble him sufficiently to think twice in future before treating a customer like dirt. An apology from him, even a begrudging forced one, would actually make me feel better. It may seem silly to some but that's the way I feel about it.
    b) The answer to this question doesn't help my argument but as far as I recall, yes the microwave was on special offer. I accept that an additional discount can't be applied to already discounted item but I wasn't aware of that at the time. If the employee allowed me to speak I'd have asked to be allowed to take the microwave with me and return at a later date with the 67 cents or post it to them.
    c) I live twenty miles from the shop. The reason I was in Galway that day was I had important business of a personal nature. To return on another occasion just to buy the microwave would have me incurring transport costs I really couldn't afford. The next time I happened to be in Galway, I returned to the shop and paid the 67 cents.
    I hope that clarifies matters for you. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.

anewme wrote: »
    I think this goes to show that people are individuals and some people should not be in customer facing roles.

I actually find DID good (my local one is excellent) and the staff are lovely.

Also, I also remember how helpful DID were in relation to the very sad case of Peggy Mangan and Casper and it made me actually want to put some business their way.

I've no doubt that very many fine people work for DID Electrical and I don't wish them any ill-will.
    My dispute is with one employee in the Galway branch and the senior management who've let me down.

mikom wrote: »
    You should have bought the microwave in white and saved yourself a lot of trouble.
    Virtually the exact same Thor model, only white, and cheaper at €49.99...... http://www.did.ie/microwaves/where/dir/asc/order/price

A white microwave wouldn't have looked appropriate in our kitchen where all of the other appliances are either black or silver and black.
    By the way, none of our appliances are anything special. Our hob is actually second-hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

While the thread is cut to death, it does really seem like the OP went in and excepted to get something reduced for no reason and made one hell of a scene as a result. This is not DIDs fault at all. Something not matching other appliances in your kitchen is an absolutely pathetic excuse when you've already made a point about your limited income.

Realistically, I'd almost respect DID more if they hadn't fallen for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭johnogog88

Hate d.I.d wouldn't buy anything of them again.I bought a TV of them which broke 3 times every time offering repair rather than just give a new one.They ignored complaints from me I emailed.I can't speak.bad enough about them.

greasepalm wrote: »
    been shopping with did for over 30 years and getting most of my gear locally and know all the staff and their humor,so i would think <SNIP> had a very bad day all round and should not acted that way to any customer or not,word gets around how bad they treat people will hurt D I D,one bad apple in the barrel affects all in the end so would have hoped you might have got an apology or something even vouchers to say how sorry this had effected you both.
    i do wish for a brighter future ahead for you both of you.

Thank you for your kind comments.
    I think its great that you've been a satisfied customer of DID for more than thirty years. They must be doing a very good job if you're a loyal customer for so long. They're obviously treating you right and they're been rewarded by retaining your custom. That's how it should be. I believe its important that satisfied customers make their voices heard too. If a business looks after you then its only fair that you should speak highly of them. There's always been too much knocking in this country and not enough praise. I suppose some here would put me in that category but I don't mind. If they knew me they wouldn't.
    My Wife and I wish you and yours the very best for the future too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Ah Jesus will half of you cop on!! It's embarrassing enough being short of money when you go to pay but 67 cent not even ONE euro and your man to get up in arms about it, don't be such ignorant ***** about it! He was short of money, yeah I don't think that's his problem, I fairly sure his problem is the little bastardisation who made a holy show of him in front of everyone for a quid. Go ahead and make your jokes, I hope the same will happen to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I think this is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

If you hadn't tried to haggle, and just said you were 67 cents short I think you would have had more luck. The fact that you tried to haggle first, then said you were short makes you look very cheap, and like you never had any intention of paying the advertised price. Also I guarantee you weren't the first person to try to haggle with the staff that day, I'm sure that becomes tiresome very quickly, and then for somebody to not have even brought enough money would probably set me off too.
    It was unprofessional of the staff member to offer to pay, he should have said the price is as advertised, and come back when you have the money.

BTW if you can afford to buy a more expensive microwave because you don't like the colour of the cheaper rmodel, you're not living on the breadline.

ezopsae wrote: »
    Pretty pathetic that someone deliberately goes into a store short of money. When they don't get what they want, they post online to damage the business as much as possible. The mind boggles at the entitlement attitude of some people.

I didn't deliberately go into the store short of money. I'm not like that.

I won't dignify your second sentence with a response. But you don't really want a response, do you? You just want to denigrate me.

Just because I believe I'm entitled to an apology doesn't necessarily mean I possess an entitlement attitude.
    I believe I'm entitled to common courtesy and I believe you have the same entitlement. Its a sorry day when a person has to complain in order to secure that most basic of entitlements. Because of my insistence that I be treated with courtesy and respect, even you will hopefully benefit from my efforts. I hope some day you'll come to comprehend and appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

As a retail worker, the guy is seriously out of line. A calmer attitude would have fixed this entire situation.

What was stopping him from taking OP aside and quietly explaining that letting him off the 67c was not possible but if he'd like to return he'll keep the microwave behind the counter for him or otherwise he could show him a cheaper alternative that might suit.

Whatever about his attitude (which was clearly appalling) he wasn't doing his JOB. Your job as a retail assistant is SELL SELL SELL. Sell them products and make it a nice experience so they come again. It can be difficult to deal with people but at the end of the day if you can't keep your cool you're not cut out for retail.

the_syco wrote: »

Your first assumption is incorrect, I didn't know the price until I saw the item in-store.
    By siding with the employee, are you stating that he was correct for treating me in such a disgraceful manner and are you declaring that you yourself would treat a customer so deploringly?
    You appear to berate people for haggling. Why?
    You seem to think that customers are out to con shop workers. Why won't you accept that people can be genuine?
    Your last sentence really is contemptible and doesn't merit acknowledgement.

lulu1 wrote: »
    I know it is hard living on your pension but if the assistant treated you so badly why on earth did you accept his money. You say you couldnt get a word in edgeways but you could have left the microwave on the counter and walked out leaving him look stupid and you with a bit of dignity.

The damage had already been done and I may have been too cowed to make a stand such as walking out. I suppose I was probably thinking at the time that walking out humiliated with a microwave wasn't anywhere near as bad as walking out humiliated without one.
    I was disgraced but I'm glad I didn't disgrace myself by behaving badly in word or deed. I like to think I still have some of my dignity.

I could argue that you naming and shaming a person on a forum is as bad as you feel his behavior was towards you.

He probably handled it poorly but we all have bad days, hell bad hours in a day, his points are valid as are your own that he handled it badly.

Certainly could have been called even, certainly you could have simply said, "oh, I don't know have enough, I better do X and Y" after he rebuffed your first offer.

Regarding your first statement, you may very well be right so I won't contest your point.
    You've stated that "his points are valid". How can humiliating and demeaning a person be deemed 'valid'?
    You state my civility and his over-reactions "Certainly could have been called even". You don't really believe that, do you?
    You've stated that "He probably handled it poorly" but yet you insinuate that I'm more at fault because you believe "certainly (I) could have simply said, oh, I don't know have enough, I better do X and Y" after he rebuffed (my) first offer".
    You may think you're being unbiased but you're coming across as clearly being on the side of the person who treated me like dirt.

Surprised the 67c wasn't just wiped off the balance. Discounts are entirely up to staff and just need managers approval in d.i.d. Workers get commission on sales but discounts look bad so each staff member tries not to discount unless it's a large sale , now in fairness 67c isn't going to make a massive difference to the guy on the till, in fact he would have been better off to put the discount through the till than take it from his own pocket if he was going to be picky like that!

I'd have happily paid the 67 cents at a later date if I'd been allowed to but he wasn't interested in anything I had to say. He went off on a rant and wanted to hear his own voice only. I did pay the 67 cents at a later time so neither he nor the shop are out of pocket.

SSD2014 wrote: »
    Next time look for a microwave thats 54 quid and stop being an entitled whinger.

Theres people with far less than 250 a week to support themselves who dont go around starting a personal negative media campaign everytime they get refused a discount.

Consumer issue me arse. More like whinger issue.

I assume its obvious why I decline to engage in dialogue with you.

stankratz wrote: »
    Sorry you had to endure that experience OP, and also the pathetic replies from the likes of the poster above me who will only call you a whinger because it's the internet and he's anonymous.

You were obviously in bad need of that microwave, and I know hindsight is a great thing, but you should have not let it get that far. I was surprised to read at the end that you still left with the microwave despite the harsh treatment.

As other posters have said, you probably got all you are going to get from DID in terms of an apology. Think about it, if Mr. Snip apologises it is only because he was made to and there'll be as much sincerity and compassion behind it as there is behind the response above this post...none. Personally I wouldn't want to see or hear from him again.

Mr. Snip was well within his rights to deny a discount, but not to humiliate you. Vote with your feet and wallet OP and try to put this behind you, I think it is the best you can do here.

Even an enforced apology from the employee would be welcome, sincere or not, as a matter of principle. You're probably correct though when you suggest that I've probably gotten all I'm going to get from DID.
    As regards pathetic replies from posters such as yer man, sure they're to be pitied the poor oul craythurs LOL.
    Anyway, thanks for your good advice, I'll keep it in mind.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    While the thread is cut to death, it does really seem like the OP went in and excepted to get something reduced for no reason and made one hell of a scene as a result. This is not DIDs fault at all. Something not matching other appliances in your kitchen is an absolutely pathetic excuse when you've already made a point about your limited income.

Realistically, I'd almost respect DID more if they hadn't fallen for the OP.

As you've made nasty and inaccurate assumptions about me without any foundation whatsoever and have wrongly accused me of making one hell of a scene, I assume you'll comprehend why I decline to engage in discourse with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement